• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I always carry spare change so I can replace what I take.
    Managers will take the coins if I don't find them first :D I remember one of my first days I saw a silver dime and said something, and they said " alright I will make sure I get that when I count the drawer " -_-
    After that, I have always snatched them up
    I don't really care if I am not allowed to switch out the coins or not, so feel free to pester me about it, it wont change anything ;)

Today
    1964 Silver Quarter
    Canadian Quarter
    A Cayman Island Penny ( it has no numerical value but is copper color, so assuming it is a penny )
    2 Canadian cents
    1945 Wheat Penny

I got a two dollar bill the other day :rockwoot:

That one tripped me up, I didn't have cash I yelled for another employee to loan me 2 bucks LOL

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    When I worked at a gas station as a kid I would always buy the Susan B Anthonys and wheat pennies out of the drawer.

One time had a kid come in and buy 3 or 4 candy bars and paid with all 50c pieces. Those didn't stay in my drawer long. :)

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Yea, I know Banks still carry $2 bills. I have thought about spending mine, since none of them are key dates or anything. When I did coin roll hunting I bought 250 worth of half dollars, and instead of taking them back to the bank I just spent them at various stores. It was quite fun :D

I have a whole bunch of wheat pennies, but no Indian head cents, never found one before. But I do find Buffalo nickels on occasion, and old war nickels, barber dimes, and mercury dimes as well. I guess Indian pennies are harder to find?

Looking at it closer the Island penny does have a value, it says 1 right next to the bird. Thought it was a stick last night lol.

Jon if you collect modern world currency, you can have it, but I am guessing you live quite far, so just PM me and I will mail it over to you!

ETA: It is 2008 Elizabeth II

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I get half dollar rolls, quater rolls, new dollar rolls and 2 dollar bills to play poker with.

We never really get anything of value in them but we check. Since everybody always bring 20 dollars bills and such often i go home with the bills and the guys go home with change since no one thinks about making change from those 20's at the end of the night.

Some like the old poker chips. I think it work better with real money. Other fold easier than put 75 cents into the pot. Now 3 white chips (The same amount ) most would put in without a second thought.

In the 15 years or so we have been playing I can count on one hand and old silver content coins that came out of them.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The last time I was at Disney World, i got 4 1966 quarters, 2 of which I got in the same transaction. I don't know if they are worth more than face value, but I've collected that year of coins for quite a while, since that's my birth year.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Yea, I think a lot of people have already stripped the silver half dollars out of circulation.
    That's so true about poker chips, it's so much easier to part with those little pieces of clay.

What is everyone's biggest find that turned out to be a bust?

I once found money in an envelope in a garage. It was one of those " rent this place and you can have everything inside " deals my grandparents did. The old tenants left a bunch of stuff. It had 4 5,000 Cordobas crisp hyperinflation notes from Nicaragua , and a very old and fragile 100 peso bill from mexico. I was like 9 or 10 when I found them. I thought they were valuable when I was in my teens, because I went online and checked the exchange rates. That is when I found out that hyperinflation notes are worthless and you can't trade them in. Back then, the going exchange rate for 20,000 Cordobas would have been almost 1,000 US dollars! A lot of money for a kid :D But I still have 3 of the 5,000 notes. Someone broke into my lock box at took them ( a few 1 oz silver coins, the mexican 100 peso note, and 1 5,000 note ). One of my fathers stupid thief friends! He didn't take everything, and left most of my silver at least.

I like collecting paper world currency :D

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I went to get change for our yard sale at the bank once a few years ago and got two rolls of quarters that turned out to be all silver quarters.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have an envelope FULL of $2 bills - ranging from very old to surprisingly recent...

I would laugh pretty hard if I went to use them and the cashier didn't know what to do... But I don't plan on spending them.

I got them when I worked fast-food in my younger years... I would have somebody pay me with one and I'd buy it out of the drawer with my own money.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    For eons, my grandma worked as a cashier at a local grocery store, and off and on at a couple of other stores after she had "retired".

She ALWAYS, I mean ALWAYS "bought" the odd coins out of her till. She amassed thousands of them - vast majority being Wheat Pennies. I've counted every single one of them and sorted them by year. I've not yet gone through them by mint mark. I'm only missing a few production years. Some years, there are a few hundred examples, and many of the early years there are only one or two.

I spent several months worth of evening "free time" going through and IDing, counting, and cataloging everything.

Nothing has terribly much numismatic value - but a great deal of sentimental value because I "played" with it all when I was a kid.

Top Bottom