• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    So I have some extra money laying around, and I decided that I'm going to buy a new rifle. I don't need anything bigger than the .22s I already have... but then again I don't need a lot of things. So I decided to reason with myself and get a .17 HMR.

Now, I'm in the deciding stage where I believe I have made up my mind. So now, after much research, and a little deliberation, I'm going to tell everyone that I think I've decided on a Savage 93r17.

Here is the part where you tell me how good of an idea it is, or how dumb I am for choosing this gun. The purchase won't be made until the end of the year or beginning of next. So I need some nitty gritty constructive criticism (or you can praise my desicion, either works).

If you do think I need to recheck my options, keep in mind I'm looking to stay under $400.

Also, any ideas for a scope under $100, for this gun would also be appreciated.

Thanks for the help :ingo:

ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Eh, the Henry is already sold, looked like a winner, but I geuss I'm just too late.

I like the CZ's, but the AccuTrigger on the Savages is stellar.

awittmer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Batesville
    i have a marlin .17hmr
    its by far one of my favorite guns to shoot, due to the affordable ammunition
    Good Luck on your hunt!

fasteddie48

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    pekin indiana
    savage is the one go with med hvy barrell lamated wood stock as far as scope look at the tasco world class or bsa sweet 12 can hook u up with a guy to get new savage at good price lmk

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a Savage MKIIFV .22LR and it has been a fantastic rifle. For the scope I went with Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 which I gave $79 for. It has been a great scope and I just recently upgraded to the same model scope but a 4x12x40 and it cost me $115

Here is a couple of pics to have an idea.

001-35.jpg

002-18.jpg

That is the new 4x12 I picked up mounted with Burris rings.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I've never shot a Savage, but always hear good things. The only input i could give is that the .17HMR is FUN to shoot. VERY accurate from what i've seen.

I've got an inexpensive H&R single shot .17, it's a squirrels worst nightmare out to about 75 yards. One of my favorites to take to the range. I've got a real cheapo 6-24x50 scope on it (which i'd like to upgrade soon) and can easily shoot a group of 5 or 6 at 50-60 yds that can be covered by a quarter!! I bet I could get it more consistent/tight with some nicer optics.

Bottom line, i'd say you made the right choice deciding to get a .17 :ar15:

lrwatson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I have the Savage 93 BTV with a Leupold VX-II 3-9X40 and a Harris bipod.
    It works really well on sage rats out to 200 yards and occasionally to 230 yards. I think the most important part of my package may be the Accu-Trigger. I mostly shoot the Hornady ballistic tips.

Top Bottom