• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It is cool to see another shooter become a 1911 fan. I love mine. I bought a second one a few weeks ago that I haven't shot it new. Still in the plastic. I will hopefully get time to do that this week!

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Here's a question. I noticed the recoil spring has one end that's coiled flat and another where the spring looks like it just ends with no further finishing. Is there a specific way this spring needs to be put onto the spring guide? As in, should the finished end face the spring guide and the unfinished end face the spring plug, or vice versa. The manual's photo is nondescript. I haven't had any issues so far while cleaning it and facing the finished end towards the spring plug, however I don't want to cause any additional wear on the gun if I can avoid it.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I used to own that 1911 before I traded it to YOGI. It is a fantastic pistol and very hard to come by. Low, low, low serial number on it. I only thing I didn't like were the sights on it. If you are going to change them out, you will need to get Kimber cut sights for it. Enjoy and if you ever decide to sell it, PM me! :)

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Here's a question. I noticed the recoil spring has one end that's coiled flat and another where the spring looks like it just ends with no further finishing. Is there a specific way this spring needs to be put onto the spring guide? As in, should the finished end face the spring guide and the unfinished end face the spring plug, or vice versa. The manual's photo is nondescript. I haven't had any issues so far while cleaning it and facing the finished end towards the spring plug, however I don't want to cause any additional wear on the gun if I can avoid it.

From what I understand, if one end is smaller, it goes on the guide rod. If neither end has a tight fit to the guide rod, probably does not matter which way it goes...

Mark

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The flat end goes on the guide rod, the open end goes in the plug, opposite of how you describe putting it in.

It has been a while since I had a full size 1911 though...

Oh, and pics or I'll find a way to neg rep you for this ;)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The flat end goes on the guide rod, the open end goes in the plug, opposite of how you describe putting it in.

It has been a while since I had a full size 1911 though...

Oh, and pics or I'll find a way to neg rep you for this ;)

You are correct. The tight end would go towards the guide rod. That is the normal on every pistol I have taken apart. My 1911's don't have a tight end. But mine are cheapy's:rockwoot:And I still love them!:D

Shollz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I didn't even know that Magnum Research made a 1911. I might have to look into one of these.

gajones06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    I ended up buying a Galco King Tuck. Its comfortable, easy to draw from, and hides the pistol very well. I practiced drawing it from concealment so much that there's already a divet shaped like the gun growing in the leather and the kydex is getting smooth. Now, for an IDPA match. Does anyone have experience with MecGar 11 round extended mags? I also would like to get a small magwell for it. Ahhhhhhhh! The sickness has set in. I'm doomed.

Check out ed brown for a magwell. If you are getting magazines make sure you put out the extra cash for nice ones. I only run McCormick or wilson combats. Also I don't think you can run an extended mag in IDPA but I could be wrong..

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010

I believe the tighter wound end goes in first with the looser end being covered wih the cap. At least that is how it goes back together on my Para.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    If you get an extended magwell, the MecGar mags supplied with the gun can't be used. The plastic baseplates interfered with the magwells. I know this because the mags wouldn't work with my 2 Kimbers with magwells. Just a heads up.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    First MAJOR Malfunction!!!!!!!!

Today, just after cresting the 566 round marker, the gun experienced its first MAJOR malfunction. :( My father was shooting, he pulled the trigger and found that is was locked back, turned it side way, looked at it, and the gun then delay fired the round. Thankfully, he still had the gun pointed down range at the time, so no animals were hurt in the making of this event. I took the firearm from him, and also found the trigger was not resetting. I removed the mag, cleared the chamber, slapped the mag back in, cycled the slide and fired. It was a dead bullseye hit, but the trigger didn't reset once again. I tried this twice more before I put the gun up for the day. I recalled reading a thread on 1911forurm about someones gun not resetting, quickly found it again on the interwebs and planned my next move. I got it home and, after consulting with a friend that works on his own 1911's quite a bit, decided to detail strip the gun, and bend the middle leaf of the seer spring forward a bit. I had no idea that a 1911 detail strip was this easy. Everyone always says that it's a mega complicated firearm, and it is more so than a glock, but I found it easy and manageable with no tools other then what I pulled off the gun itself. I suppose the most confusing bit was figuring out how to place the seer/disconnector back in. Anyhow, after I got it all back together, I function checked the trigger and reset ~30 or so times, spent some time dry firing on snap caps, and feel its good to go. Though, I will be taking it to the range tomorrow to verify my delusions of grandeur.

I have mixed feelings about this occurrence. I'm saddened that it's perfect track record is now marred with a potentially life threatening issue. However, I also find myself glad to have been forced to detail strip the gun and learn how it works. At the very least, I'm more comfortable knowing it's inner workings. I don't know why, or how, it occurred, but I hope the issue is resolved. Looking at the internal parts, it looks to have been polished either by the factory, or a previous owner, which may explain its excellent functionality thus far. If I'm not mistaken, and I'm no expert mind you, it looks like the mainspring housing, hammer/strut, and a few other parts and MIM. I'll put up an update tomorrow when I get back. Wish me luck!

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Great news! I managed to fix the problem. I ran that gun hard today, tryin to get t to malfunction again. I did a couple strings of 8+8 as fast as I could onto a steel man plate, not a hiccup. Then I spent the rest of the box shooting plates at 10-50 yards. Total count is now 650.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Great news! I managed to fix the problem. I ran that gun hard today, tryin to get t to malfunction again. I did a couple strings of 8+8 as fast as I could onto a steel man plate, not a hiccup. Then I spent the rest of the box shooting plates at 10-50 yards. Total count is now 650.

Glad to hear. Sometimes the break down and cleaning is all it really needs. Glad you were able to fix it yourself and didnt require someone else to look at it. They do have some of those armor at home videos, for all the weapon systems and I am sure that they have for 1911s but each company is going to be slightly different, so sometimes YouTube is the best for that.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Another quick update: It's happened again. The seer spring has slipped and led to reset issues. I know it wasn't due to cleaning this time. There's a possibility they took too much material off at the factory when they performed the trigger job. Until I can get new parts, this gun will no longer be my EDC.

Top Bottom