• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The 1st .22 rifle for a husband/father should be?

• Total voters

Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    Marlin 60 and one of these
    Spee-D-Loader Spee-D-15 22 Cal Rimfire Tube Mag Rifle Ammo Loader

I have had the Model 60 for 20+ years and its still going strong. Its the first rifle my dad gave me, and I still enjoy shooting it today. Upgrades are fewer than the 10/22, but its a tack driver out of the box. They get dirty, and can jam because of it, so be prepared to pull it apart and clean the internals every once in a while.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of input I was looking for.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Back in the day, I would have said an old Winchester single shot bolt action.

But after buying the Ruger 10/22 Takedown, I can't say enough good things about it.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I love my Model 60 it is very accurate and reliable. My dad bought it for me as my first gun and that was 13 years ago, and it was used then already.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I am a tinkerer/customizer by nature and I know how much you can do to the 10/22. That is why I don't want it. I want something I won't want to "trick out", I want something simple/classic that I will like how it is and leave it alone. I have seen the catalogs full of stuff for the 10/22 and I know my nature. However, when I had my 1911 I revered the design too much to mess with it. The Model 60 and the Henry make me feel similar to the 1911, in that I will leave it alone and enjoy it.
    I really was hoping to hear how dependable/accurate these two guns are, how the rigger feels, how well they hold up over time. Again, I have nothing against the 10/22 but it is not for me at this time.

This makes a lot of sense. I was going to keep my 10-22 just as it came from the factory. Now, many years later I think the only orginal parts on it are the barrel, bolt, and receiver. I hesitiated on even saying the bolt is still original because of the VQ parts I've put on it.

The marlin 60 we had growing up took a beating from two young boys who weren't really taught propper gun handling and figured it out on their own. We weren't taught marksmenship and we relied heavily on the 18rd tube. Now, many years later when I shoot the thing I realize that I didn't need to rely on accuracy by volume and that the rifle was plenty accurate just the way it wass. Add a small scope and then you've really got something.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I will say this. I did polish up the internals and tinkered with the trigger a bit, but I think the only part I replaced was the spring. Only reason I did that is because I bought a 2nd one to cut off a few coils from, and saved the original one that has all the coils.

Check out rimfirecentral.com for small tinkering ideas for the Model 60. It also helps to learn the rifle. I enjoy a bit of tinkering, but its not as costly as a 10/22.

Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    This makes a lot of sense. I was going to keep my 10-22 just as it came from the factory. Now, many years later I think the only orginal parts on it are the barrel, bolt, and receiver. I hesitiated on even saying the bolt is still original because of the VQ parts I've put on it.

The marlin 60 we had growing up took a beating from two young boys who weren't really taught propper gun handling and figured it out on their own. We weren't taught marksmenship and we relied heavily on the 18rd tube. Now, many years later when I shoot the thing I realize that I didn't need to rely on accuracy by volume and that the rifle was plenty accurate just the way it wass. Add a small scope and then you've really got something.

Thanks for the input. I also will use this rifle to introduce some of my friends to shooting. I know at least two of them have never touched a firearm before.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's amazing how much crap the OP is receiving because he wants a nice tube fed .22. All the 10/22 robots come out for every single .22 rifle thread and and post:
    That's it, just "10/22". At least chezuki give a good defense for his post. That said, I've seen tube fed shooters at an Appleseed. It can be done.

Me, I grew up with a Marlin 39M. It's still one of my favorite rifles because it's got class and it's not the ubiquitous 10/22. There's elegance in simplicity and clean lines of a tubular bolt action or lever action .22.

OP, consider looking for an older Marlin.

Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    It's amazing how much crap the OP is receiving because he wants a nice tube fed .22. All the 10/22 robots come out for every single .22 rifle thread and and post:That's it, just "10/22". At least chezuki give a good defense for his post. That said, I've seen tube fed shooters at an Appleseed. It can be done.

Me, I grew up with a Marlin 39M. It's still one of my favorite rifles because it's got class and it's not the ubiquitous 10/22. There's elegance in simplicity and clean lines of a tubular bolt action or lever action .22.

Thanks for the input. I'm used to people giving me crap... I'm married. :D

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    It's amazing how much crap the OP is receiving because he wants a nice tube fed .22. All the 10/22 robots come out for every single .22 rifle thread and and post:That's it, just "10/22". At least chezuki give a good defense for his post. That said, I've seen tube fed shooters at an Appleseed. It can be done.

Oof... Those AQT reloads would be a ***** with a tube fed! I used a Savage MKII for my first Appleseed with 5rd mags and felt at a slight disadvantage.

I have an ancient Remington tube-fed pump .22 that would be fun to try!

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    A winchester model 9422 is another option , will work as flawless as a henry and the reciever is actualy blued not painted.

They are a beautiful rifle.

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Would you like the option to feed your rifle short, long, and long rifle ammo?

If so, Marlin makes (or made, not sure if it's still in production) a nice tube fed bolt action. The Henry would also allow this flexibility.

If not, get the Model 60.

I cast my vote for the Model 60. It was my first repeating .22. It was a Christmas gift when I was 13 years old, in 1972. I still have it and will not be letting it get away.

Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    A winchester model 9422 is another option , will work as flawless as a henry and the reciever is actualy blued not painted.

They are a beautiful rifle.

Thanks for the suggestion, it is a nice looking gun. Do they still make these or would I have to hunt for a nice used one?

Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    Would you like the option to feed your rifle short, long, and long rifle ammo?

If so, Marlin makes (or made, not sure if it's still in production) a nice tube fed bolt action. The Henry would also allow this flexibility.

If not, get the Model 60.

I cast my vote for the Model 60. It was my first repeating .22. It was a Christmas gift when I was 13 years old, in 1972. I still have it and will not be letting it get away.

I am fine with just .22LR, but the ammo flexibility would be a bonus. I'm glad to hear you love your 60. I started considering the Henry as a piece I could pass on to my daughter, but hearing how much people cherish their 60's has me thinking I may be able to save a few $$ and still get a really nice 60 to pass on.

Last edited:

Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    I may be wrong, but I don't think we have had much input from Henry owners yet. Are they that scarce in these parts?

osbornk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Marion, Va
    The Henry choice should have been the standard H001 rather than the Golden Boy. It is cheaper and it is more comparable to the Marlin in function over attractiveness. I have both a Marlin 60 and a standard Henry 22lr rifle. They are both great guns that perform flawlessly and accurately but there is just something about a Henry that makes it more special than my other guns. I bought both my Model 60 and my Henry at Walmart. The Marlin was $110 about a dozen years ago (now $169) and the Henry was $297 about a month ago. To me, the Henry is worth the additional cost but it might not be for a first time buyer.

Top Bottom