• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    I just bought my first 22lr plinker, a Ruger SR-22 Pistol. Since this pistol was just announced earlier this week I thought I would put up a post.

I had been planning on buying a Ruger Mark III 22/45 this month with a check I was due to receive this month. Once I read about the SR-22 pistol my mind was changed. I went with the SR-22 pistol because I am vain, I just like the looks of the SR-22 more than the Mark III 22/45 and I didn't want to buy a foreign made firearm so most 22lr handguns were not an option in my mind. I just wanted a plinker that I could use to practice with, 9mm ammunition is too expensive for me to practice with as often as I would like, but with 22lr I can make it to the range a couple of times a week if I want to.

The check I was waiting on came in the mail today, I quickly deposited it and called Bradis to see if they had any SR-22 pistols in stock, they said they will be receiving some this week, but they had none in stock at the moment. So I went back to work. While at work I remembered that a new gun shop had opened up near me, Bare Arms firearms. I had been meaning to stop by but I hadn't got around to it yet, they were fresh in my mind because they were mentioned a couple of times at the Hamilton County Fish and Game meeting last night. I decided to give them a call. They were very friendly on the phone and said they will be getting more in soon, and right before hanging up they asked to put me on hold. They had just received a FedEx package containing an SR-22 pistol. Their price was higher than Bradis, but I decided I was willing to pay extra to support a local business that had what I wanted in stock, in my neighborhood more or less, and save some gas by driving 10 minutes up the road rather than 45 minutes down to Camby. I arrived about 20 minutes after the phone call, the shop was busy (much busier than I expected for 1:30pm on a weekday, probably 10 different customers were in and out while I was there) but they were quick to help me and let me check out the pistol. Everything looked good so I bought it. I hung out for awhile while they processed everything and I was out the door with my new firearm within 20 minutes or so.

I don't have much to say about it yet because I bought it on my lunch break and promptly took it home and put it in the safe before heading back to work. What I can say is that it was incredibly easy to rack the slide, I attribute that to the fact that I am used to my personal protection firearm the SR9c. I tried out the safety/decocker and it worked as expected from the gunblast video. I will be taking it out to the range tomorrow on my lunch break and will report back here if anyone is interested, I will definitely run some minimags through it and possibly some Walmart bulk Federal if I have some time to pick it up tonight.

Pictures below, sorry about the quality, took some quick snapshots with my cellphone before I put it in the safe.

picture.php

picture.php

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I've read these are not 1:1 ratio to the SR9/c pistols but more like the size of the Walther P22.

It will also be interesting to see if this semi-auto can reliably function bulk pack .22LR.

I'm glad to see they packaged two magazines with this pistol since it seems like 1 is the standard for most pistols these days.

I think it's a little late to the game with the Walther P22 and others being on the market for a few years now, but I'm guessing this SR-22 will sell like hotcakes.

Wonder why these chose the same name as the SR-22 rifle?

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Very nice :yesway: , I just got a new 22/45 but really like yours. How does it compare in price? May have to let my gsg go if your range reports come back good.

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    I will post pics of the SR-22 pistol next to the SR9c late tonight, I don't get a chance to handle my firearms until after the kids are asleep lol

I too am looking forward to seeing how it handles bulk ammo, according to the gunblast youtube video it worked well, I hope that is my experience too.

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    a pic with the SR-22 pistol next to the SR9c

picture.php

Overall the 22 is lighter and has a thinner feel to the grip. The grip length of the 22 is maybe 1/4" longer than the SR9c when both have the flat bottom magazine inserted. The slide on the SR9c is maybe 1/2" longer in the rear than the 22, but the 22 does have the exposed hammer.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I've read these are not 1:1 ratio to the SR9/c pistols but more like the size of the Walther P22.

It will also be interesting to see if this semi-auto can reliably function bulk pack .22LR.

I'm glad to see they packaged two magazines with this pistol since it seems like 1 is the standard for most pistols these days.

I think it's a little late to the game with the Walther P22 and others being on the market for a few years now, but I'm guessing this SR-22 will sell like hotcakes.

Wonder why these chose the same name as the SR-22 rifle?

All the reviews I have read (three different ones yesterday) said it shot bulk ammo flawlessly.

Here is one of the reviews.

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    Just got back from the range.

The SR-22 pistol performed great. I shot roughly 240 rounds of Federal bulk from Walmart and about 20 rounds of CCI Minimags. I had no issues with feeding or failures of any kind.

I also put a few round through my Marlin 795 without issues as well.

I enjoyed shooting it very much. In one hour I shot over 250 rounds for about the same price as shooting 50 rounds of 9mm.

I was able to work on my technique without worrying about cost which is the main reason I bought the pistol in the first place.

Pictures below as usual

picture.php

picture.php

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    I put another 300+ rounds through the sr-22 pistol today, a total of over 600 rounds so far, federal bulk HP from Walmart and some CCI Minimags

I had one failure to feed, the round went off but the side did not cycle and load another round. It could have been the federal ammo, but I figured I would mention it.

Still liking the gun, I have definitely been able to spend more time focusing on technique and haven't worried about ammo cost

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    How about a couple pics showing both the Rugers side by side from the rear and from the top down?

Also, if you don't mind sayin', what did you pay at Bare Arms?

Thanks,

Top Bottom