• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I attended my first Appleseed at Marion County Fish and Game yesterday. It was a definite learning experience! I think I have a lot of practicing to do in order to be able to do things the way we were instructed yesterday. The thing I had the most trouble with was the whole "Natural Point of Aim" thing. I fully understand the principle behind it and it makes total sense, but there was nothing "natural" in the position(s) for me! :): Prone position gave me the most trouble, due in large part I'm sure, to the fact that I almost never shoot from that position. Trying to tuck my support elbow in under the rifle was a strain for me and was making me "torque" the rifle to my left. Now I know I am supposed to keep my support hand relaxed and not "grip" the forearm of the rifle, but it was such an effort to get into that position that I found myself doing just the opposite because it just felt so awkward. That lead to me gripping the stock with my trigger hand more tightly than I should have as well. Prone position should be the most stable position, but I did better in seated or standing positions, I think because I was fighting the rifle so hard in order to try and get into the "proper" position.

The instructors were very good, and I enjoyed the history lessons as well. The sun was a little warm at times, but really it was a great day to be outside shooting. I do think that if I do another one, I will probably take a semi-auto instead of the bolt action that I took. The bolt gun made the timed portions challenging to say the least! Fortunately most of my rifles are bolt action, so I was able to keep up because it was something I was used to.

GoldenBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Keep practicing! You'll get there.

Getting into that Appleseed prone position can be challenging, especially if you haven't done much prone shooting before. And driving that support elbow all the way underneath the rifle can be a challenge to your natural range of motion. Keep practicing, about ten minutes a day for about a month; your body will loosen up. With more practice and stretching, you'll feel less stress "torquing" your arms & body into position, and can relax into it (with or without a sling).

Glad you enjoyed your first Appleseed. And your next one too! :)

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Generally if I am feeling strain in my support elbow, it's because my body is angled too far/too little, or my body (back & leg) isn't straight. Once those are lined up, there is little strain in keeping the elbow under the rifle, and consequently a relaxed support hand is the result. Sling tension may play a part in this as well as the canting, for me also.

You can play with this in the comfort of your own home without needing to fire a single shot.

FWiW I shoot as well sitting as I do in prone. But I feel more relaxed in prone.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks guys. I will do some practicing (it'll give me a use for an extra SKS stock I have taking up room in the closet!). The body angle thing may have had something to do with it. It was pretty close quarters on the firing line, so I was conscious of trying not to encroach on the guy next to me.

mulsas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Westfield
    Prone was difficult for me too, for me having my back in an arched position like that starts to hurt and it tightened up after a while. Seated was more comfy and natural for me. We have a lot more practice to do too.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Sling tension and the front sling mount position can affect rifle cant too. It should be snug, not too tight, the sling should hold your hand against the stock so it doesn't slide. Play around adjusting it so you can comfortably relax & lay into the sling with a flat palm. The seed instructors can beat me up if any of this is wrong.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sling tension and the front sling mount position can affect rifle cant too. It should be snug, not too tight, the sling should hold your hand against the stock so it doesn't slide. Play around adjusting it so you can comfortably relax & lay into the sling with a flat palm. The seed instructors can beat me up if any of this is wrong.

I'm almost thinking I should get a GI web sling for it. I've just got kind of a generic leather sling on it now, and it was okay for the "hasty" sling, but not so much for a loop for prone. The hasty is what I'm most used to though, so maybe I should just work with what I've got. :dunno:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Definitely go with a USGI sling, it makes a world of difference. And for me prone was much easier than sitting. Beer belly has to go and stretching more would have helped me. Somehow I squeaked by with a 212 and a 214 to score the patch in the rain and mud along with RobbyMaQ (and with 20/60 vision eight weeks before cataract surgery) so with determination anyone can be a Rifleman.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The GI web slings are available on the Appleseed store: RWVA Appleseed Store

It's a nicer sling than the scratchy rusty $20 one you'll see at a gun show. Thanks for the reminder. I just put 2 more in my online cart.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Ol Huff told me a bit of wisdom (on more than one occasion). The ground is your friend. Love it... hug it... be it. :)
    Seriously, I had a back arch issue and wavering a bit left to right. Once I got myself lower to the dirt, extending my support hand out to the sling/stop, it all went away (both the wavering, and the back tension).

Getting up and down is another story alltogether...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm almost thinking I should get a GI web sling for it. I've just got kind of a generic leather sling on it now, and it was okay for the "hasty" sling, but not so much for a loop for prone. The hasty is what I'm most used to though, so maybe I should just work with what I've got. :dunno:

The right sling makes a big difference. They're inexpensive and one of the best shooting aids you can buy. And if you don't have it set right (tension), you'll be fighting the rifle instead of it being an extension of your body.

Someone has pdf versions of the targets scaled for 5 and 7 meters which is perfect for practicing at home dry-firing. Keep going in and out of position until it becomes natural.

Once it does, look for some NRA rimfire matches in your area.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have been thinking about trying to attend one of these but I have basically no real training plus I am very Over Weight so I dont know as if this would be for me or not do they allow you to come and watch and learn but just not shoot ??

Sign up and shoot. No real training is much easier to work with than wrong real training. Appleseed is very adaptable to things like weight.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have been thinking about trying to attend one of these but I have basically no real training plus I am very Over Weight so I dont know as if this would be for me or not do they allow you to come and watch and learn but just not shoot ??

You should do it and plan to shoot. Day 1 would be perfect for you. It's not run like drill sargents running boot camp although you might get a little sore because you haven't used those muscles. The 1st day is mostly fundamentals and training with history during the breaks. Day 2 is more for score.

There's a Nashville, IN Appleseed July 12/13. I "might" be at that one myself.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well dang... I don't know where B Town Boy's original post went. :dunno: But anyhow, the only guy to make Rifleman at the event I attended was a BIG guy, so weight should not be a worry.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    My problem with the prone position is that I have something called Schmorl's nodes between my shoulder blades. They are protrusions of the cartilage between my vertebrae. It keeps me from being able to tilt my head back far enough to look down the sights. In fact, it's quite painful for me to attempt the prone position.

Top Bottom