• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    After reading thousands of pages on :ingo: and watching countless videos on youtube on how "EASY" it is to build one. I decided to go ahead and take the plunge and build an AR-15.:ar15:

I'm going for more of a tactical style rifle for my first build. I want something I can use for home defense (if I choose to), as well as doing a few tactical classes too.

I decided to build the lower mostly from "Spikes Tactical" parts. I received the stripped lower in today. I just placed an order for the Spikes lower parts kit as well as an off brand 6-stage collapsible stock. They should be in (hopefully) sometime this week.

So far, I have $210.00 in this complete lower as long as I can put it together.:D

I'm still on the fence about putting a two stage trigger in. I'm not sure if I can justify spending the extra $$$ on it. I have an LEO friend that has a two stage system in his duty rifle and swears by it. I figure I can always spend the money down the road if I want to change it out.

As of yet, I am not sure of the upper I'm going to get. I'm still debating on the exact setup I'm wanting. I'll probably wait until the Indy 1500 (sometimes know as the Indy AR-1500) and find one I'm really into. My requirements as of now are: Flat top, w/Chrome-moly 16" barrel.

Last edited:

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Congrats! If you dont want to spend the money on a two stage trigger just yet, look up Bill Springfield for some trigger work. Its worth every penny of the 35 bucks for the 4lb trigger and hammer mod.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    managed to find the actual photobucket link in your post :D
    downloaded your pic and did a little work on it in Picasa

red.jpg

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    well i wouldn't personally buy an upper at the 1500 until you do some homework. I have been guilty of it, and the end result was, gunbroker. Look at a few ar forums to read up on them, and make sure you don't forget, LaRue, Noveske, Bravo Company, Spikes, and even Rock River Arms (their national match barrels rock) before you buy. Also, if this is your only ar, and the shtf gun, don't go w/2stage trigger (just another part to break), 2-stage is more for precision, hunting etc.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    No no not to start this weekend you must build it now. Seriously how can you just let those parts sit there all by themselves they want to be assembled.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I agree with esrice... Bravo Company doesn't mess around when it comes to uppers and they have about every flavor imaginable.

I picked up an inexpensive NON-chrome lined near complete upper from dsarms.com . I received a complete upper minus the charging handle (20 or less for OEM mil-spec) and a bolt carrier group (100 or less for OEM mil-spec) and it has served me well. Is it the nicest upper? Nope, but for the price of 275 bucks, it is a pretty decent one.

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    My little brother and I got together this afternoon and started in on the lower build. From the time we started until we finished was about 45 minutes. It was a LOT easier than what I initially thought.

The hardest part of putting it all together was putting in a few pins because I didn't have the exact size punch I needed. I found a small phillips head screw driver (eye glass size), and it worked ok.

The regular trigger we installed feels great right now. I don't think I'll need a two-stage or even a trigger job at this time.

Here's a pic of the finished lower:
    moz-screenshot-5.png

moz-screenshot-8.png

I headed over to Beechgrove Guns & Bradis earlier in the day looking for a complete upper, and neither had what I was looking for. Beechgrove had a few, but nothing I was wanting, and Bradis only had one that was a Bushmaster. It was cheap ($230.00) but it was a 20" not the 16" I was wanting.

Next step? To find an upper. My internet scouring begins.

moz-screenshot-4.png
    moz-screenshot-6.png
    moz-screenshot-7.png

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    well i wouldn't personally buy an upper at the 1500 until you do some homework. I have been guilty of it, and the end result was, gunbroker. Look at a few ar forums to read up on them, and make sure you don't forget, LaRue, Noveske, Bravo Company, Spikes, and even Rock River Arms (their national match barrels rock) before you buy. Also, if this is your only ar, and the shtf gun, don't go w/2stage trigger (just another part to break), 2-stage is more for precision, hunting etc.

Why is that? I mean mean why won't they go with 2-stage triggers. My 2 ARs have RRA 2stage triggers, one was purchased as a complete rifle (not NM but heavy barrel carbine) and the other lower I have used with a variety of uppers never with any problems. So what am I am missing? Thanks.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Congrats Esrice I noticed you just reached 10K posts.

Thanks buddy-- I just congratulated myself in the 10k Post Club. :yesway:

To answer your above question-- most "combat" guns do better with a single stage trigger. I've used the RRA 2-stage and it seems fine also-- not too light or anything to worry about.

The real problems come with adjustable triggers or competition triggers that are lightened-- they can be prone to coming out of adjustment at the worst time, or breaking altogether.

Top Bottom