• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I started with an Anderson lower and a PSA Freedom Magpul kit. Headed over to 1911ly's today to put it together. I've never owned an AR before so not only did he help me assemble the lower but showed me how the BCG comes apart and what to oil and clean.

The Anderson lower had a few rough spots. The front takedown holes had a lot of parkarizing in them and maybe a little out of square. Larry cleaned them up pretty good. The bolt release slot again had quite a bit of build up and the release itself needed a bit of fitting. We also tapped the rest of the bolt hole for the grip so there wouldn't be any problems with the screw not tightening up all the way. But it eventually went together correctly. Big thank you to 1911ly for helping me.

Now for the pics.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Looks good!

When you say "cleaned up" the holes, can you be more specific on how you did that?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Looks good!

When you say "cleaned up" the holes, can you be more specific on how you did that?

Used a diamond jeweler file to take the parkarizing and maybe a little aluminum off. The front take down pin would go nicely into each side but when we tried to put it through both holes, it was really tight.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    We had great time hanging out and putting it together. It all when well. There was some issues that could have been resolved if they would have prepped the receiver a bit better before the finish coat went on. It wasn't a big deal. A number drill bit set cleaned the holes the bolt release lever rubbed in the slot enough to feel sticky. A slight brush with a jeweler file and all fit well. 2 more minutes on Anderson's part would have made it a bit easier. No finish was removed where it counts. In all it was a easy enough build. This is the 6th or so build I have done. This was the worst fit I have ran across. But it wasn't a big deal.

Actually BT did 90% of the work. I just made sure it all fit as he went along. He did awesome!. Other then that I dropped a spring... it went smooth! lol. We took our time and BS'ed a lot and did a little show and tell on some of the projects I have around here. Great day. Thanks for letting me help BT. It was fun to have you hang out in the shop this afternoon.

And no left over parts is a good thing :): You have a nice rifle BT!

Last edited:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Awesome! I built the exact gun and had to do the same things to the lower.

my first psa kit came with 2 extra packets of springs and detents after i had it together i was freaking out trying to figure out what i missed:):

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

my first psa kit came with 2 extra packets of springs and detents after i had it together i was freaking out trying to figure out what i missed:):

The extra springs would have been handy if we didn't find the one I dropped! :): Those are handy parts to have laying around. The front take down pin is really tight. It's like one of the ears is canted a few thousands. I did not want to ream it. I'd rather it fit tight then loose. It moves with a little tap of the punch. That one seldom needs removed anyway. The rear pin is a perfect fit. It the one that counts the most. After few times taken a part and it will wear in. Not a real issue.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

When I build my next one, I think I'll get a better quality lower.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    When I build my next one, I think I'll get a better quality lower.

I would not pass on one of those if there wasn't another choice. If the price is right, what the heck. I'd buy one. An inexperience builder might of had an issue and been tempted to get the Dremel out. :runaway:

A little patience and a careful looking over will find the simplest of problems. That wasn't to bad, just needed a touch here and there with a fine file. Plus you learn what to look for today when things don't fit right. It was a good learning experience for you!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I will be doing this myself very soon. Thank you 1911ly for the tap, the rest I can handle though the detents have given me trouble in the past. I am sure it will be done and work fine though. I've done many others in the past, been a bit but I am sure it will all work out fine. :)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I will be doing this myself very soon. Thank you 1911ly for the tap, the rest I can handle though the detents have given me trouble in the past. I am sure it will be done and work fine though. I've done many others in the past, been a bit but I am sure it will all work out fine. :)

Np, I will get it in the mail sometime this week. I have a barrel to ship too, I haven't been getting out much ( 2 surgeries in the last 45 days ) I need to get out of the house anyway. I am feeling cooped up. You've been there too. I did make a range trip last weekend. I enjoyed that. I paid for it a bit though lol.

BT's rifle should be GTG. Not really worried about it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    :cool: nice build I like the stainless barrel! seeing that makes it harder to wait for my ingo lower to get here next month !!

I'd be happy with an INGO dust cover. (Which is about the only reason I didn't get a slick side upper.)

Last edited:

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Just built another rifle, very close to yours. Anderson lower, PSA 16" SS barreled upper. Yes, tight fit of upper and lower. On my last 2 Anderson builds, I have had to remove a little metal from the bottom of the bolt catch lever to allow the catch to pop up enough to engage the bolt. Seems that slot in the frame below the bolt catch roll pin is not cut deep enough or over anodized, or both. And of course, finish the grip screw hole with a 1/4 x 28 tap on all my Anderson's. But with Anderson lowers selling for $50, it only feeds my AR builder's addiction

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Finally got out to the range today to run this AR. Ran perfect. 150+ rounds and zero issues. Shot straight too.

Here is a group, off hand, with standard iron sights. I'm not used to aparature style sights so I don't think it's too bad. Given a mil spec trigger, I'm happy.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Very nice rifle, especially for a first build. Very cool of 1911ly to give a hand too

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    We had a great time today. Proof of live video:

[video=youtube;uWxpaKl-q6Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWxpaKl-q6Q[/video]

Some practice and a better trigger you will have a tack driver!!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    And we will load you up some match grade bullets. Bring some brass by when you can. More fun!! The first 20 are on me.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Finally got out to the range today to run this AR. Ran perfect. 150+ rounds and zero issues. Shot straight too.

Here is a group, off hand, with standard iron sights. I'm not used to aparature style sights so I don't think it's too bad. Given a mil spec trigger, I'm happy.

BTW, these are the little pie sized plates too...

Top Bottom