• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • malachi_s

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    North Central Indian
    I had always been a 7.62 person until I began reading all the wonderful stories of the AR 15 platform. It was not until I actually shot one that I knew I just had to have one. My knowledge of the rifle was quite limited so with the help of people like CWood I began my own build project.

It all began with this.
    bush.jpg

As I learned more about longer sight radius and the flexibility of accessories, I asked the assistance, Chris (CWood) as to what would best suit my needs. What stood out the most for me was Chris did not sell me something he wanted me to have but rather sold me something that I had asked for after hearing what my intentions were. I decided to go with the VTAC Extreme 13" battle rail. Now, understand I am not a gunsmith to any degree of the word so CWood offered to install the rail for me. When you think about what I paid him to do this and the fact he shipped it back on his dime, it was as if he did it for free. Patience it not one of my virtues so I was thrilled that I sent the upper off on a Tuesday afternoon and received it back the following Tuesday morning.

I had read an interesting post a week or so ago about a person that did a build with and for his son. He also chose the VTAC 13' Extreme Battle rail. The phrase that caught my eye was after someone had viewed the rifle he mentioned he thought the rifle suffered from an identity crisis. The rifle did have a few modifications I probably would not have chosen for my rifle but it was what the guy’s son wanted and that is what really counts. I had two purposes for my carbine. I wanted a CQB rifle but also wanted the ability to hit target at 200 -300 yards. I am an older guy with not so good vision so I chose the Aimpoint solution. The first item I purchased to effect my needs was the Aimpoint Pro. I had tried other red dots but the quality just was not there. I needed for not only the scope to perform but also give me the confidence it would every time I needed it to. The Pro gave me just that. Next, I needed to achieve some way of improving my aim at longer distances. I again chose the Aimpoint way and went with the 3X magnifier. Now, some of you guys will say that those were both expensive solutions for my needs but in reality, I gambled on Botach' not so good reputation and bought both at what I would consider very good price. In addition, I suffered no problems at all dealing with Botach. I paid $400.00 for the Aimpoint Pro, which came with a QRP2 mount with free shipping. I don't know what it will sell for in the future or from other venders but I think the scope being comparable to the COMP3, it was a bargain. The magnifier listed at $715.00 but I paid $393.25 and it came with a twist off mount. Again, very affrdable in my opinion. I did however choose to upgrade my mounts to LaRue. The reputation from everyone here on this site convinced me that that was the best way to go so I went with the LT 129 cantilever for the Pro and the LT 755 for my magnifier.

I don't think my rifle suffers from any identity crisis but I do believe it has a split personality. It is not shy about getting up close and personal but it also sometimes prefers to engage people at a distance. I received a lot of motivation from reading esrice' build project and with CWoods assistance I was probably able to avoid making a mistake in the rail I would have chose. So overall, I am quite pleased. Here are a few pictures of the rifle as it now appears and I will be going out later today to field test my rifle. I also read about the AR bug and I think I have caught that. If I can exersize patience, I should be receiving a BCM Gunfighter charging handle which should arrive this afternoon to add to my project. Anyway, I just thought I would share and I will be posting what my experience in field yields.

As it looks today.

rifle4.jpg

optics5.jpg

rifle2.jpg

optics1.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I don't think my rifle suffers from any identity crisis but I do believe it has a split personality.

Excellent quote! :D

I like!

I think you'll really like the flexibility that the LaRue mounts offer, especially with your "split personality" rifle. With QD functionality you can simply remove the magnifier when you don't need it that day to save on weight. The flip-to-side even gives you a half-step of flexibility if you are in a situation where you may or may not use it depending on the shot you're taking.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

GAM3INO

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Crown Point
    Awesome looking gun! And FordTough is right, its fun clicking on these, since you never know what is going to appear on the screen.

malachi_s

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    North Central Indian
    Field Results Disappointing

Hey guys, well, as axcited as I was yestereday to take my rifle to the range now I am just that much disappointed how it panned out. Not to be misunderstood, the magnifier and the Pro performed flawlessly. I first zeroed the irons at 50 yds, nothing new or exciting there. Next, began getting the dot in the center circle of my target at the same range, again, fun but nothing exciting. Here's is where my story takes a strange fork in the road. I placed the magnifier in place behind the Pro and was marveling at how well the sight picture became so I fired a couple of rounds at the same center area of the target I had just been aiming for and I could see the hits fill more of the direct center than perviously shooting without the magnifier. Needless to say, I thought I found shooters heaven, well, not so dramatic, I was hitting dead center every shot, it just felt like heaven. At this point I began to run a few drills of shooting with the magnifier in place then pivoting it away to the side to shoot at closer target when I noticed some of my brass was flying over my right shoulder and some were falling at my feet. Now, I am not a rocket scientist but I just knew that it shouldn't be so different. I began to investigate. What I found worried me, not just worried, but all things came to stop for fear of permanent damage to a expensive piece of glass. As I was firing with the magnifier in the pivot right position, my spent brass was banging off the magnifier and falling to my feet. When I firied with eh magnifier in it's designed mission specific position, my brass flew in the consistant, over my right shoulder 5-7 ft to the right and 3 ft behind. As for well the magnifer performed aligned with Pro it was fantastic. My hits were exactly were where I aimed with a good FOV. I did not keep the magnifier in the pivot out position and shot any more that day. I did however come home and cal LaRue to see if I could have possibly installed the mount incorrectly. I will say this for thier customer service, it is good. I was put on hold for about 5 minutes after I explained to the first person I spoke with. While I was listen to the canned propaganda it kept say," you ain't happy, we ain't happy". I thought to myself, I am not happy but I hardly think I can blame LaRue. Anyway, after 2 or 3 other guys got on the phone and me sending pictures by email to them they finally got someone who was introduced as the head honcho, a fellow by the name of Alfred. Alfred was thorough, answering every yes or no question I had with a affirmative or negative responce, I thnking military here but that didn't matter, I was in the military and still wnat to salute lady officers in uniform and "By your leave sir", because anyone in the NAvy knows that that just boils thier blood. They actually prefer to be called 'mam. BAck to the story or report I should say. Alfred said he thinks it is my ammunition. I have only used two different brands of the same thing from Cabelas since I bought the rifle, PMC Bronze 55gr .223 and Remington UMC 55 gr .223. Alfred explained that I am actually using a bolt rifle ammunition and that was the cause of my problem. He said my brass should exit the rifle in the 3 o'clock position and even perhaps 2:30. I don't a lot of other Bushmaster or any other AR shooters to ask were thiers ejects at but the one guy I did talk to shoot bushmaster varminter and he said his brass comes out exactly as my does if it doesn't hit a magnifier when in place. So here guy I open this up for you and ask if anyone can give me any advise, opinions, pearls of wisdom that will help me resolve the problem of brass bouncing off my magnifier while it is in the pivot right, out of the way position. I will run around a couple of place today and purchase a box or two of some kind of 5.56, 62 gr bullet. Alfred said he always tests with Geargia Arms. "canned heat" and when I looked that up on Google found that to be .223 but deffinately considered a hot load. Is there anyone that can offer any assistance to me please. I know this board is full off very educated AR guys, and I do need yout help. Thanks Charlie

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So here guy I open this up for you and ask if anyone can give me any advise, opinions, pearls of wisdom that will help me resolve the problem of brass bouncing off my magnifier while it is in the pivot right, out of the way position.

I would try this:

• Try another type of ammo
    • Try moving your optics forward or backward
    • Replace your extractor parts to mil-spec and see if that changes your ejection pattern (it did on my Bushmaster M4)

malachi_s

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    North Central Indian
    Thank you, that is just what I will do. I know LaRue has a 3 pack deal on ejector parts 3 Extra Power 5-coil Extractor Springs, 3 Extractor Inserts and 3 Viton -Rings. If anyone today, because I will send my order in at the end of today wants to buy into the group, I am open. I will pay shipping, I was going to do that anyway but I would sell a set to a Ingo'er if they need it. Let me know.

malachi_s

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    North Central Indian
    I ran a little hotter ammunition today which deffinately showed some ejection differences. I had been shooting what ever Cabelas had on sale in .223 which was PMC Bronze or Remington UMC. Both 55 gr. I ran some 5.56 62 gr bullets through it today and had optomistic results. I have some mil-spec extractor spring kits from LaRue coming. Hopefully that will also make a difference. The rifle is performing brilliantly other than my ejection trouble. The magnifier does add weight but the return on investment is much more accurate shots. In all honesty, maneuvering in a CQB exercise wasn't as graceful as I had hoped but I haven't practiced with the new set up. My goal is to take some carbine and handgun classes to better my skill level. I currently am using a single point sling so with the magnifier in the pivot out position I have to be careful to not tangle or snag it on my gear. I am sure I will learn as I practice. Overall, the difference in my ability to hit my targets at further distances has greatly improved. The longer sight radius shooting with irons has also improved. The trade off is weight, I haven't had to carry the rifle for any distances, let alone train to fight with this new arrangement. Anyone thinking of this set up should understand you won't always be shooting from a bipod, my arms were extremely taxed after shooting standing and kneeling today. Of course, I am a little, well, a lot, out of shape. I'll keep posting my story as it unfolds, it just might save someone the grief of finding out for themselves. oh, and I am looking into a compensator if anyone has one to trade or sell.

Charlie

Last edited:

H&SFarms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Southeastern Indiana
    nice set up and well written post. I recently just got my first AR it is a double star. i figured i would go ahead and buy the first built and then down the road build one to my specs. :rockwoot::ar15:

Top Bottom