• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marcp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    Okay I have gone and done it now, I have joined the fun,expensive and addicting world or the AR.'s. I have gotten the part's to start my first AR build. I have a Spikes tactical lower (did the color fill myself) the cmmg trigger group, magpul butt stock,magpul 30 round mag.,and a magpul pistol grip. Leaving the lower black but the furniture is going to be in flat dark earth. Being it is my first ever gun build I'm taking a AR build class (lower only) at my local gun shop at the end of the January.I'm thinking about buying the upper complete but not sure on what make I want to go with at this point. This will be for home defense and plinking fun. any comment's, questing's or suggestion's please let me know..

The world is full of zombie's,some not dead yet.... 100_1439.jpg 100_1445.jpg 100_1441.jpg
    ^ ^
    Here is the lower now that I have it completed...

Last edited:

redfox033

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Newburgh
    Looks good! Get on YouTube and you can watch step by step on how to build your lower and go for it. I built my first lower in less than 30 mins.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just one suggestion, they can be very addictive so be careful! :D You will build one style, say an entry version for home defense as you say, then you find you want an M4gery, then one like the early triangular grip M16s, then a long range plinker, then... and before you know it, you need a safe just for your ARs!

Enjoy your first build, it is something special and yes a ton of fun.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I second using youtube. Did my first in about 30 min as well. They are a blast to build and shoot. Just be careful as your build can get out of hand quick. The first build is kind of sentimental in a way so enjoy it.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    DOOMED! DOOMED I tell you! Every waking moment from now on will be spent thinking about this part, that part, what to get, hours of time drooling over pictures on the internet.....

DOOMED!

:rockwoot:

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Its a sick disease, and will only continue to multiply. But you have good start, let us know how it turns out. Like the others said you can assemble one quite easily following youtube videos.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Tell me about it. I had an ATN 5X BDC scope laying around the house that I could never seem to find the right rifle for. I did not like it on my target AR15 with the 24" heavy SS barrel. It just did not look right on either of my Ruger Mini-14s. It just did not seem to fit on my first custom built AR15 and neither did it seem to go well on my second. I have left it on the 2nd for the time being, but do not think that it is permanent. I do not know if it will ever be just right on any .223/5.56 that I will ever have, but I am determined to keep buying rifles until I finally find just the right one for this particular scope.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I ordered all the parts for my first one the other day. As suggested I have watched the youtube videos, looks like a pretty simple thing to assemble. Probably easier than some of the toys the kids got for Christmas.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Congrats on doing your first build! I finished mine off (almost since they are technically never finished) a few weeks ago and I will 2nd what others have said...you can't build just one! I went almost all complete PSA for my rifle. Went with ICE ARMS nitride-coated bolt carrier group which I really like. Lots of options out there! Just keep us posted on how it is progressing!

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Brownells.com has a great step by step on building your lower. It's a series of like 1-2 minute videos, so you're not constantly pausing and rewinding. Watch the video, assemble component, move on to the next video!

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Nice. So I like shorter barrels for HD as they corner better. 16" max but consider a 14.5 with a pinned flash hider for a 16.1" total. Gas Piston are all the rage these days. You probably know this already but you need a lot more mags lol. Get a solid light and a good sling and you are GTG!

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    Nice. So I like shorter barrels for HD as they corner better. 16" max but consider a 14.5 with a pinned flash hider for a 16.1" total. Gas Piston are all the rage these days. You probably know this already but you need a lot more mags lol. Get a solid light and a good sling and you are GTG!

This is what I built. The upper was easy. This is a 14.5 pinned/welded barrel. It was easy to do and only took 20 minutes.

IMG_0440.jpg

zipper89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Im actually building an ar myself for the first time. Last time I just bought one and switch the upper to a Alexarrms. If You are looking at buying an upper already assembled and have the money for them I highly recommend getting a Yankee Hill unless your wanting one of these piston driven; which are pretty sweet themselves.

Top Bottom