My first attempts at knife design. What do you think?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Sometimes I get bored. These are a few sketches of knives I've come up with. I know they are designs that already exist for the most part but I had to use something as a starting point. I think my fighter design is mostly unique. Now how to translate them from paper to steel is another question

All would roughly be 8.5" long, 1" wide, 9/16" thick handle/scales, 3/16" blade stock, 4" blade.

Top left- Utility sheepsfoot knife. Top right- Hunter. Bottom left- Fighter. Bottom right- Dagger.

I'm not an artist obviously but I did do OK in mechanical drafting class in high school. Anyway just something I've been doing to pass some time.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I like the top two, they are interesting maybe make the top rights top swedge more aggressive and that would be a really nasty knife. Do you have any plans on manufacturing these knifes or just ideas for now?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I like the top two, they are interesting maybe make the top rights top swedge more aggressive and that would be a really nasty knife. Do you have any plans on manufacturing these knifes or just ideas for now?

Thanks! I thought about a sharpened top swedge on the hunter style but then it wouldn't be an all around knife.

These are just for fun right now. Something to sketch on while the Mrs. is doing her HW and doesn't want the TV as a distraction or whenever I'm bored. I don't even come close to having the skills, time or materials to begin making knives. But if any of the local INGO knife makers like any of them then they would be more than welcome to make them as long as I get one for free. ;)

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm actually in the process of making a larger version of the top left one right now.

That's pretty cool. I knew that these would be fairly common designs. The biggest thing for me mostly is the size though. I've been obsessed lately with the idea of an ideal EDC fixed blade. Slim and light enough to be EDCed while still having enough blade to handle ratio to be comfortable to most (I wear large sized gloves and around 4.5" handle is almost perfect to me) and still have a blade long enough and thick enough to get the job done. Looking for the perfect knife is a lot like looking for the perfect gun. It just doesn't exist so I designed my own taking what I liked from what I have or have seen. Plus it's just fun to doodle knives. If I ever find a maker willing to take on a full custom of my design that would be pretty sweet.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I would just say that 3/16 is really quite thick, particularly for that size blade. That thickness costs you slicing performance. The extra weight can help with chopping, but that generally isn't a common function of a blade in the 4" range. 1/8" thick stock is a pretty generally accepted compromise. You see 5/32 as well. But it's your knife.

I just hate to see folks make a pry bar so nice that it doesn't work that well as a knife. But I like your styles, particularly the top two. The fighting knife is neat, I'm just not as into those, which is only a personal preference.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'm no knife maker by any means, but have the capability to draw you a 3D model and machine blanks. I have some designs that I've modeled on the computer but have never actually started cutting metal on any of them yet.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I would just say that 3/16 is really quite thick, particularly for that size blade. That thickness costs you slicing performance. The extra weight can help with chopping, but that generally isn't a common function of a blade in the 4" range. 1/8" thick stock is a pretty generally accepted compromise. You see 5/32 as well. But it's your knife.

I just hate to see folks make a pry bar so nice that it doesn't work that well as a knife. But I like your styles, particularly the top two. The fighting knife is neat, I'm just not as into those, which is only a personal preference.

Thanks for the info. That's part of reason I posted them to get input from actual knife makers. 1/8 is probably thick enough. I've just been kinda taking what I liked about my two favorite EDC knive,s a Bawidamann Pogn and a Strider PR, and mixing them together.

Oh and while I'm thinking about it. If anyone does sharpening and wouldn't mind taking my Strider and fixing the awful factory edge and tip I'd be willing to pay you.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would add a guard or some deep finger choil to that dagger design.
    Otherwise I don't see what keeps your fingers from sliding on the blade during a stabbing motion.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Well let me know if you want me to work one up for you. Or if you would prefer to try your hand, I'd be willing to let you use my grinder if you buy the belts.

Top Bottom