my first build. what should I built first?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Zionsville, IN
    I have never in my life built a AR be but I can take apart a old VCR and rebuild it with out missing a beat.

But now I'm looking for a new winter hobby. Since I have never build a AR before butI own a couple (sig716 & sig516) what caliber is best to start off with .223 or the .308?

Ones I have a caliber who makes a good striped lowers at the best price?

My reason for building since everyone asks, is to just me a better view of the inner workings of the rifle plus later on I like to build me a pair of rifles for when SHTF. I don't believe it will happen but it gives me a good reason to build a good SBR in .223 and a Sniper rifle in .308. Plus keeping my hands busy keeps me from smoking.

Happy new year.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Any forged mil-spec lower will do. find one with a roll mark you like. If you have no preference, PSA has Anderson lowers for $50 and the fit/finish is excellent.

When choosing a caliber, consider cost. If the ammo is so expensive that you hate buying it, you won't want to practice much. 5.56 runs $360 per 1000 while .308 is around $300 per 500. Also, building a .308 AR requires a completely different platform and .308 specs vary by manufacturer (Armalite parts are not interchangeable with DPMS).

Jacobcuvelier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    Middle of nowhere
    It really depends on how much money you want to spend. I've built budget ars for less than $600 and my latest was over $2500 after optics and all the goodies. But I'd go with 223 if I was you and definitely sbr it. But you can do what I did and pistol it in the meantime lol

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Im starting an AR build, and while Im waiting to find the upper I want, Im going to start an AK build. Something to consider.

macafly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Im starting an AR build, and while Im waiting to find the upper I want, Im going to start an AK build. Something to consider.
    Another one to consider, I'm finnishing up my Cetme build. I've thoroughly enjoyed this. There is a ton of info out there and a lot of very helpful people also! My son got interested when I started this build and we spent a lot of quality time together. So much so, I bought him a kit for his college graduation. We just got started on it last week. Ran afew test rounds through it today---what a blast---!! Good luck with what ever you pursue:cool:

Cheers

Top Bottom