• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    It was supposed to be a deer hunt. It's muzzle loader season. My hunting weapon is a 50 cal muzzle loader with power belt bullets. I forget the bullet weight, I think they are 375 grain.

About 8am eastern I see 3 does moving fast through the woods over 100 yards away. They break into an open field pedal down, non stop until out of sight. Something spooked them, they were too far away for me to have spooked them. I had no idea why. About 3 hours later I decide to get down for lunch. Just before I start to climb down I see a coyote. She parked on a fallen tree about 50 yds away. That's when she got her just reward.

Very unusual coloration. Nice looking animal. Since its my first one, and since she's so different, I am having it full body mounted in a snarling stance.

coyote_zps8e0e5c1e.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Nice! Congratulations!

That's a really black looking yote.

I killed one with my muzzy yesterday too. Not much deer movement so I slammed him with my .50cal, also saboted bullets with 150g powder (three 50g pellets). He went straight down.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Nice! Congratulations!

That's a really black looking yote.

I killed one with my muzzy yesterday too. Not much deer movement so I slammed him with my .50cal, also saboted bullets with 150g powder (three 50g pellets). He went straight down.

Looks even more black in person, really dark, black and silver. I will post another picture after I get the mount back from the taxidermist.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Nice looking yotes guys. I have seen a black and silver yote only once and I swear it looked more like a wolf especially size wise. That was over three years ago and I haven't seen it since.

There are a lot of yotes here in Brown county this year. Maybe because the deer population is up as well, but I've heard that quite a few yotes have been taken so far. All the folks I know around the county will take a yote whenever they see one. It seems to help keep them in check. I haven't been able to get a shot on any so far this year...but that will change I'm sure.

Congrats on your first yote Mark1911!! Good looking coyote! He will make an excellent mount, please post a pic when it's 'stuffed'!

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    Those are very nice looking coyotes it never gets old shooting them. Now I am motivated to go out this weekend with the predator call.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    There are a lot of yotes here in Brown county this year. Maybe because the deer population is up as well,

I don't know about your deer season so far but as far as I can tell its the coyote numbers that are up. Deer numbers are down in BC. I've seen 5 deer all season. Its just not normal. There's been just as many coyote sightings as deer this year on my place.
    We are gonna hit the predators once deer is out.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I can agree on the numbers being up I've taken 3 this deer season, 2 in just one morning. I have never seen so many in all the years being out. I'm not sure why but they have been going nuts around my house to, much more than normal. Funny thing is I passed on the last one I saw at around 8am not to ruin my deer hunt and it came back 10 minutes later so I believe it had a death wish .

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Well the guy who runs Realistic Taxidermy (in Lowell) told me that he's trapped, killed, and/or mounted over 2000 coyotes in his day and out of all of those he has only seen 3 dark ones like mine. Told me he was jealous. So I think I unknowingly by chance took something rare. I was almost going to let this one lay, but when I showed it to my buddy after end of legal deer hunting hours, he talked me into keeping it. Glad I did.

Didn't like the only snarling stance mount he had because it was crouched down and wouldn't show the nice white patch on the breast. So opted for a stance standing on all fours with head raised as if scanning the territory ahead, mouth open, teeth showing, sort of a panting look, as if after running a long ways.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Well the guy who runs Realistic Taxidermy (in Lowell) told me that he's trapped, killed, and/or mounted over 2000 coyotes in his day and out of all of those he has only seen 3 dark ones like mine. Told me he was jealous. So I think I unknowingly by chance took something rare. I was almost going to let this one lay, but when I showed it to my buddy after end of legal deer hunting hours, he talked me into keeping it. Glad I did.

Man that's AWESOME! That'll be a cool mount.

Top Bottom