• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    It wasn't easy or really cheap but I had to know what was all the fuss over Emerson's. I found this Commander SF for a good price and man it fits my hand freaking sweet! Its very tight coming out but I read that that's normal. Without furhter ado here she is:

171IMG00207_20110207_1607.jpg

703IMG00209_20110207_1607.jpg

I noticed that the blade is primarily sharpened on only one side. Is this normal for Emerson knives?

I also noticed that the liner lock doesn't seem to go over very far in the below pic, but when I release it it feel very solid, kinda like its held in place deeper on the blade. IDK, I suppose thats normal as well. Very different knife all around, very sexy blade curve as well.

349IMG00201_20110207_1244.jpg

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    congrats emerson makes a very solid knife and to boot it is 100 percent made in the usa with 100 percent parts made in the usa all the way down to the screws. congrats on a solid purchace. and so the addiction begins :)

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    Congrats!! I just got a Commander BTS today on the mail and have only had it out of the box for a few minutes . It's my fourth Emerson. I'm really impressed. The chisel grind is the edge on several EKI knives. Your liner lock will move over after after breaking in especially after waving.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    That is a very nice nice. I fell for the wave feature playing with the Spyderco.

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    Congrats!! I just got a Commander BTS today on the mail and have only had it out of the box for a few minutes . It's my fourth Emerson. I'm really impressed. The chisel grind is the edge on several EKI knives. Your liner lock will move over after after breaking in especially after waving.

Is the chisel grind very common in the production knife world? I've been gobbling knives up lately but I haven't come across any sharpened like this. I have a Sharpmaker coming this week, it makes me wonder if that edge will be difficult to reproduce.

Now I have my sights on that new Hogue EX01.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Emersons suck! I bought a CQC-7 a few weeks ago and now am struggling over which one I am going to get next. :D They're bank-vault solid and the chisel edge is wicked easy to take care of and is surprisingly sharp.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    I gave you some bad info. Just checked Emersons website and they say the Commander is a Conventional V grind. Which makes sense since they aren't flat on one side like my SOCFK and Kerambit.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Have you cut yourself yet?

Should I lie or tell you the truth ;)? When I first got it, I was intrigued by the edge and I must admit that I did drag my thumb down the edge just a little bit. Mistake. Yes, it's sharp. It's amazing what just a couple minutes on a Sharpmaker will do to refine the edge. Like I said earlier, Emersons suck , as I see my wallet getting a little lighter in the near future!

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    My wife bought me a Emerson Commander BTS for Christmas. I haven't gone a day without it in my pocket. It's my first knife and although I am actually bidding on a couple right now, and ABSOLUTELY going to purchase more Emersons later, but I don't see myself doing anything other than passing this knife down one day.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have two because my first one disappeared for a year and a half. I suspect the little blonde kid that lives with us had something to do with it. His older sister found the knife in the drive way in the vicinity of the slide,swing and sandbox. It was a little rough but Rhino cleaned it right up and I could be back in ths stabbing business with my favorite knife I don't get the bad guy lockjaw will.:D

bobbystoney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Got my first Emerson in the mail today.

IMAG0035.jpg

SOCFK-A

It's aight. It may replace my Spyderco Military as my usual edc.

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    I gave you some bad info. Just checked Emersons website and they say the Commander is a Conventional V grind. Which makes sense since they aren't flat on one side like my SOCFK and Kerambit.

Maybe their interpretation is different than mine regarding "conventional". The back side is significantly less ground then the other side of the blade.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe their interpretation is different than mine regarding "conventional". The back side is significantly less ground then the other side of the blade.

From the Emerson site FAQ:

Your catalog says my knife is V ground yet the sharpened edged is ground on one side only. Isn't that a chisel grind?
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    As I have explained in the definition of chisel grind in the glossary, the term chisel grind refers to the overall grind of the knife ie; the main bevel, not the edge, just as V grind refers to the main bevels of that style of blade. What you are referring to is the edge, the edge grind. All of our knives feature a single edge grind regardless if they are a chisel grind style like our model, CQC-7 or a double V ground style like our Commander model. The edge grind is the silver colored line located and visible at the bottom of the blade edge, not the main bevels. The single edge grind produces a very strong, sharp and easily maintained edge, especially in the field. This type of edge has been used historically on many hard use grade knives,most notably several million AK-47 bayonets. In describing our knives it would be either; A chisel grind blade with a single edge grind or a double V grind blade with a single edge grind depending on which model you choose.
    [/FONT]

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Think my kids knicked up the blade of my Mini-Commdander while I was working out of town.

Anyone use their re-sharpening services? Figure $19 for shipping is a little much, but I want my knife back to it's original edge.

and yes, mine and I are blood brothers :D

Top Bottom