• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My uncle recently bought a new .45 caliber barrel for a muzzleloader. He also had a very worn down old barrel that wasn't being used.

He asked me to shorten the new barrel, and install the front and rear sight and the "mounts" from the old barrel onto the new one.

It was fun, and I hope to do a little more work like that in the future.

Here's some bad cell phone pictures of the work.

7e408b52.jpg

3d97459f.jpg

05757351.jpg

77f4f0a4.jpg

5390d9c4.jpg

23a7a0ce.jpg

85eb0ade.jpg

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    I'm curious as to what all was involved in this project. I'm assuming you started with just a barrel blank, what kind of machinery did you use to cut/crown the barrel, and how did you cut the dovetail?

I love doing projects like this, and I'd really appreciate more details. Looks like a job well done.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm curious as to what all was involved in this project. I'm assuming you started with just a barrel blank, what kind of machinery did you use to cut/crown the barrel, and how did you cut the dovetail?

I love doing projects like this, and I'd really appreciate more details. Looks like a job well done.

Horizontal saw to chop the barrel. I used a lathe to turn the barrel down to size and to chamfer both ends.

And I used an old Bridgeport mill to do the dovetail, and to drill and tap the holes.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Honestly, I really don't remember. I just set it where it seemed to be the best all around speed. I didn't want to burn up my cutter.

Just wondering... those dovetail cutters can fly apart if you spin them to fast. I think brownells reccomends turning their HSS cutters at less than 700 RPM which is SLOW. alot slower than what most people think they need to be.

nothing like watching a 50 dollar tool fall apart right in front of you.

Top Bottom