• ...and so much more!
  • billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af28/billyboyr6/photo-18.jpg

This is my first hand forged knife that I forged this past Sunday out of a small piece of titanium. I have a rough sketch as to what I want to end up with ( pictured in link) and I will skeletonize the handle and paracord wrap. The blade will be highly polished to mirror shine and I will wrap handle with orange paracord.

Hopefully all goes well. I will post pics of the process as I get it closer.

What do you guys think?

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    At the moment, thickness is .220" and I'm hopeing that once I grind all flat and smooth it will be around .150" or more. As far as A carbide edge, I'm not sure what that means. I am a newbie when it comes to all the terms of knife's and edges. So I'm not sure. I plan on getting the knife done with exception of edge, and having a professional grind and sharpen the edge for me.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Nice! I've never actually tried forging titanium but I've heard it's pretty much the same as steel. How hot do you need to get it in order to get the metal moving?

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I used an oxy-acyt. Torch with a rosebud for heat so I had no way to measure temp. But I will say that I only got a few hammer blows before it was too cool again. It cools extremely fast. I just made sure not to overheat it. and if you hit it with it too cold, it wants to chip off on the edges.

Capt. Jeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    very nice design! that is going to be a great looking knife when you are done!
    mirror finish huh? good luck! lol

Top Bottom