• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    I recently traded for my first Kahr. It is a Kahr P9 in all black.

Yesterday, I managed to get it to the range and shoot fifty rounds through it. I was surprised by how well the gun shoots and that such a light pistol handles the recoil so well. My wife even shot a few rounds and loved it. She tends to be very recoil shy.

It was very accurate and capable of hitting the metal gongs at 75 yards.

The Kahr P9 functioned 100% without any jams.

The trigger is a DAO, but very nice. My wife liked the trigger also.

I took it home and cleaned it. The gun is well put together and and looks to be fine gun. Kahr seems to be a great manufacturer. I may have to look into the PM9.

Any thoughts on the P9 or the other Kahr handguns?

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I own both a Kahr P9 and E9. Both are 100% reliable and super accurate. I agree that the trigger pull is smooth and just the right weight for a self defense firearm. Used my P9 in a training course last month. Worked like a champ.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I got the cw40, and like it very well. As you said, very accurate, and easy to conceal also. I really like shooting mine. Nice, tight guns. Just follow the 200rd break in period, and you should be good to go! :rockwoot:

gus1989

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I have the P380 and the PM9. The 380 is so small it just disappears. It also is a dream to shoot. Haven't spent as much time yet with the 9, but so far I am happy. Working on a 45 now. The quality, trigger and accuracy are top notch. If your patient, there are great deals on used ones also.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    Thanks! I was pleasantly surprised by how good the gun functioned in all aspects.

I have the P380 and the PM9 The 380 is so small just disappears. It also is a dream to shoot. Haven't spent as much time yet with the 9, but so far I am happy. Working on a 45 now. The quality, trigger and accuracy are top notch. If your patient, there are great deals on used ones also.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I have a PM9 and a P380. The PM9 has been flawless. It is a bit big for pocket carry but it works great in a IWB holster.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Thanks! I was pleasantly surprised by how good the gun functioned in all aspects.

I may be wrong but I believe the E9 stood for "economy model". They were available when Kahr first came out and were kind of pricey. They wanted to get the Glock crowd interested and had to make a more affordable weapon. (not a slam on Glock, the dollar was strong and the Kahr's are made in the US, while Glocks were made in Austria.)

The idea for the Kahr came about because Justin Moone, the son of Rev. Sun Yuong Moon (of the Moonies) had got his ccw license in NYC at the age of 18 and was lamenting that there was not a decent compact 9mm at that time. After he got his degree in egineering he designed the Kahr. The name comes from a Korean word (I may be wrong on the language) meaning something like "small and strong" and the Kahr was born.

Monster Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Hamilton County
    I have a PM9 and a P380. The PM9 has been flawless. It is a bit big for pocket carry but it works great in a IWB holster.

I bought a PM9 yesterday as a Christmas gift for my son (he is 34). I read that they need 200 rounds to break in, but the shop owner carries a P9, and he said he "never saw reason to break in a Kahr". For those with Kahr experience, did you break it in with 200 rounds before carrying?

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    We have 3 Kahrs. p380, CM9, and now a K9. I would break in/test/whatever you want to call it ANY weapon with a couple of hundred rounds before trusting my life to it. New or used - I want to KNOW that it works and KNOW what I can do with it should the need arise. And then REGULAR practice rounds through it after that.

I like the way they function and feel. The single stack format seems to fit my hands better than double stack. Like any brand, Kahr's have fanboi's and haters... I don't know if I fall into the fanboi camp - but I do like the way they feel and the way they shoot.

MM - a PM9 is a mighty nice Christmas gift! :D

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    As I have said in probably a thousand posts about my PM9, it is my almost constant companion, residing in a Desantis Nemisis holster in my pocket.

Monster Man, the PM9 is the only Kahr I know or have experience with, so from that this answer. Yes, Kahr requires, not recommends a 200 round break in. The pistol is built to very close tolerances and as such the parts need that time to fit themselves to each other.

I have read of a few people complaining about problems in the first few rounds, but after being beaten about by those who know the Kahr, put it through the 200 rounds and then admit that after that they usually find they have a pistol reliable enough to call a "self-defense weapon".

I have well over 2000 rounds through mine, and it still is tight as a drum. And has been 100% reliable through all those rounds.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Thanks for the response! I am not familiar with the E9. Is that the elite?

Before Kahr made the CW9, they made the E9 or "Economy" 9. It has a MIM slide, frame like the K9 and a plastic front sight. It was a less expensive version of the K9. I like it a lot and have put over 1000 rounds through it. Picked it up a few years ago for $300 at the Kokomo Gun Show.

gus1989

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I bought both mine used so they already had a few rounds through them. The PM9 since I bought it has been perfect. The P380 had a few problems with FTRB and light strikes (it was still very tight). A few more rounds through it (and keeping it well lubed) and there have been zero problems - a GREAT pocket gun. If you do get a Kahr - check out KAHRTALK - they have a wealth of information, especially about the breakin and lubing.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hey Monster, as said just a few post earlier, you really, really want to put a couple of hundred rounds thru a new Kahr. They are tight and they can get donright squirrely until they start to loosen up a bit. Many owners will also suggest racking the slide, a lot. A "lot" being a minimum of 500 times.

If you are a regular at Kahr Talk, you will know there are a few models that tend to need some factory help. Kahr apprentely got a bad batch of P380 frames, and they have replacing them as fast as they can. There are also magazine problems with a couple of models. You might want to check in and see what's going on.

The PM9 has been a huge seller, and it is as close to pocket pistol 9mm as you will find. Great gift!

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    CW9 and K40 here. The CW9 [economy P9] was purchased new and had light primer strikes early on. After installing a new recoil and striker spring, it's been flawless. The K40, purchased used, has never had a hiccup in my hands. I shoot the K40 at least as well as my Glock 23.

Since purchasing the Kahrs, the Glocks reside in the safe. If the 642 isn't in my pocket, one of the Kahrs is on my hip.

stacks067

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    New Haven
    Congrats on the new kahr. I do not own one yet, but have had the pleasure of shooting the K9 and the PM9. I loved both. Reliable, accurate, and I love the triggers.

Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    I have the CW9 and love it. I have CC'ed a Glock 26, S&W 442, Kel-Tec 32,and Ruger LC9. But i have to say for me the Kahr CW9 fits me best. I am a big Glock fan and will say that the 26 is the only one that will shoot as well as the cw9......I have many Glocks but now when i put my pants on in the morning there is a Kahr in my pants somewhere. and i do carry it in a pocket holster sometimes and it works very well.:rockwoot:

Top Bottom