• bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Here are my first reloads:

IMAG0056.jpg

These are .357 Mag cases loaded to .38 special levels. I wanted to start small since I have Zero experience with reloading.

Overall the whole process wasn't to difficult. I am using a Lee Hand Press and I had to weigh out each charge separatly, which was a pain. I think my next reloading investment will be a powder measure, or something that will make charging the cases easier.

The only other thing that concerns me is the crimp. How do I know if I have too much crimp, or too little?

IMAG0057.jpg

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Fun, isn't it ? Your first rounds look good !

Crimp looks fine to me. Keeping that bullet from walking out under recoil probaly has just as much to do with proper case tension on the bullet as your crimp.

FWIW, I have a favorite "pet load" I have loaded for years using the longer .357 mag cases but to .38 special data. My wife is recoil sensative and I also have much more .357 brass then .38. Saying that though, I have heard many say doing this isn't the best thing. Some say it can lead to some unexpected not-so pleasant things. A few months ago, I asked this very question in a thread here and will post the link in case your interested. Again, great job on your first loads !

Click here: downloading .38 special - INGunOwners

bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Xtreme,

It is fun. Its crazy how fast time goes by when your working on reloading.

I read the thread in the link and it got me wondering so I did some research and I think I am going to scrap these loads. I used reloading data for the minimum, or start, charge for 38 special. The loads in the picture are 4.0 grains of Unique with a 158gr lead bullet. I think that might be too low, so I am going to use 38 special +p data instead.

I am not suprised I messed this up. I usually mess up everything the first time I do it....

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Xtreme,

It is fun. Its crazy how fast time goes by when your working on reloading.

I read the thread in the link and it got me wondering so I did some research and I think I am going to scrap these loads. I used reloading data for the minimum, or start, charge for 38 special. The loads in the picture are 4.0 grains of Unique with a 158gr lead bullet. I think that might be too low, so I am going to use 38 special +p data instead.

I am not suprised I messed this up. I usually mess up everything the first time I do it....

No need to scrap them. If worried, just pull em and recharge. I have found 5.5 gr of unique makes a mild but safe load.

savage 1212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    NE Indiana
    Reloading is a lot of fun, remember to pay close attention to the details and be consistent. A good scale and powder measure are a must. As you purchase more equipment remember that old adage buy once, cry once. You may have to pay a little more initially for quality equipment but you wont regret it. When I started reloading Larry and Pat at Sinclair's in New Haven saved me a lot of grief by pointing me in the right direction. Though they have been bought by Brownells and have closed the retail store there, they still have a very experienced sales staff answering the phone and with an 800 number it would be worth your while to give them a call for any future needs you may have.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I hate to be the one to disagree here but that crimp looks way too tight. Put your caliper on one without any crimp after seating then just set your crimp die at about 3 to 4 more thousand crimp and call it good. Unless it's a exaggeration from that photo {which it may be}, it looks to be about 5 times that.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My first were a 100 9mm using the Lee Hand Press. Took them out and got a bang for each one. I bought a scale and used it to measure each load. Took awhile, but I don't shoot that much anyway so it gives me something to do.

Cigar Bob

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Crimp Die yes or no is my question?? I have started reloading again and purchased a Lee 40cal. 3 die set. I have reloaded 50 rounds and went to the range today to try them out to make sure I was dialed in. I had no problems all went off well. After talking to someone at the range he told me to purchased a Crimp Die. The gun shop owner who sold me the dies told me I did not need the Crimp Die. If I am only going to reload for range use is this Crimp Die needed??:popcorn:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    bamthetrashman, your loads, are good, I have reloaded, for 30 + years, 2.8 grains of bulles eye, will put rounds, out the end of a gun, 4.0 grains, of unique, SHOULD be fine... My Speer # 10, shows, 158 gr. lead, 4.3 - 4.7 gr. of Unique..... Your load, is good, pulling bullets, for no reason, is a pain.....
    Cigar Bob, as far as I know, for a 9mm, .40, and a .45 acp, these cases, use a taper crimp, and unless you are loading VERY HOT, or loading for extreme compettion, I would say you are good.....

Last edited:

walker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Terre Haute
    Hornady 7th Edition 357Magnum 8'barrel 158grain (lead) bullets Powder: Unique 3.3gr-700fps...3.6gr-750fps...4.0gr-800fps...4.3gr-850fps... 4.7gr-900fps...5.0gr-950fps Speer #11,#14 6'barrel 158gr lead semi-wadcutter UNIQUE 5.5gr-970...6.0gr-1034 :ar15: I hope this can help:D

bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for the info walker.

I didn't think that reloading info would differ so much from different manufacturers. I only have a Speer #14, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have another manual. Would you recoment the Hornady manual?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I like the "old" manuals... You can find a Speer # 10, on e-bay, watch, and you can get one dirt cheap... I have a Speer # 12 & 14, as reference guides.....

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Crimp Die yes or no is my question?? I have started reloading again and purchased a Lee 40cal. 3 die set. I have reloaded 50 rounds and went to the range today to try them out to make sure I was dialed in. I had no problems all went off well. After talking to someone at the range he told me to purchased a Crimp Die. The gun shop owner who sold me the dies told me I did not need the Crimp Die. If I am only going to reload for range use is this Crimp Die needed??:popcorn:

My experience with a crimp die and lead bullets were not favorable. I loaded a few rounds using a crimp die and then pulled the bullets to mic them. It turns out the crimp die was reducing the diameter of the bullets by a few thousands which would undoubtedly cause leading. I went back to the three die setup and no reduction in diameter was found and also no leading. Jacketed bullets you won't have this problem and could use the 4 die setup.

*these were my findings and your results may vary.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    :D they look good. i use 4.8 grs. of unique and a 148 gr. lead wad cutter its a little smokey / dirty, but it shoots nice groups at 25 feet. the speer reloading manual number nine says. the 146 and 160 grain bullets should be crimped over the front of the copper jacket. others should be crimped in the cannelure provided. i used to keep a factory loaded bullet and match its crimp to my handload... just make sure the bullet is leaving the barrel everytime you fire light loads. watch the paper or the sand behind your target. if you don't see a new hole or some dirt kick up stop and check your barrel. firing into a clogged barrel can be deadly. i use a ruger to check new handloads its hard to hurt a ruger revolver. :twocents:

Last edited:

Cigar Bob

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    My experience with a crimp die and lead bullets were not favorable. I loaded a few rounds using a crimp die and then pulled the bullets to mic them. It turns out the crimp die was reducing the diameter of the bullets by a few thousands which would undoubtedly cause leading. I went back to the three die setup and no reduction in diameter was found and also no leading. Jacketed bullets you won't have this problem and could use the 4 die setup.

*these were my findings and your results may vary.
    I am loading Jacketed bullets. And all fed well in my gun the day I went to the range. I just want to know from you guys if a crimp die is needed?? I do not mind the extra step if I have to. I want to do it the right way.:popcorn:

BurninBrass

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    between a couple cornfields
    Overall the whole process wasn't to difficult. I am using a Lee Hand Press and I had to weigh out each charge separatly, which was a pain. I think my next reloading investment will be a powder measure, or something that will make charging the cases easier.

Lee Improved Powder Measure Kit - MidwayUSA

Find the scoop that works for you. Much quicker than weighing individually.

walker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Terre Haute
    Thanks for the info walker.

I didn't think that reloading info would differ so much from different manufacturers. I only have a Speer #14, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have another manual. Would you recoment the Hornady manual?
    I reload with Hornady bullets, so I got their manual. Having extra manuals on hand is nice to have as additional reference. Don't foreget to go online to the bullet and powder manufactures for reloading info. You will see different info between manufacturers. Remember, they are showing you their results with their setups. I would recomend the Lee Second Edition, and Lyman 49th Reloading Handbook. The manuals on my bench...Lee Second Edition... Speer#11 #14... Hornady Seventh Edition... Nosler #6... Lyman 49th... Hodgdon's Annual Manual 2007 '08 '09.

Top Bottom