• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goodlander

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2013
    DANVILLE
    So for my first attempt at a shotgun renovation I had a Remington 11 donated to me, at the time it did not function, Mainly due to a broken charging handle and a bent firing pin, I replaced the pin and the charging handle thanks to Ebay for cheap. The Main cosmetic problem I have is the Forearm wood, it is split and missing pieces. Is there any woodworkers out there who can duplicate the forearm for me? Or does anyone have a good one to sell? I have disassembled the shotgun and will work this weekend at sanding it and smoothing the metal back out so that I can Re-blue it. Any suggestions or ideas for my re-build? I was thinking once I re-blue it of filling the etchings on the receiver and the markings on the barrel with gold leaf. I know they have products out there for doing this. The gun does shoot and shoots well. Let me know ya''lls thoughts..

goodlander

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2013
    DANVILLE
    Remington Model 11 Sportsman 12 Gauge Forearm Forend 3 Shot Scarce | eBay

Semi Finished Forend for Remington Model 11 | eBay

Remington Model 11 Forearm Checkered | eBay

Thank you mvician, I have not seen these, I might try one of the reproductions, Ill have to strip my buttstock and stain it the same as the forend so that they will match.

Well so far I have the gun stripped to the frame and started taking off the years of yuck that is on it, I will have to run to Lowes tomorrow and get some fine sand paper and some mineral spirits so that I can finish it and reblue at least the receiver tomorrow. Ill try to post some pics of how it turns out. Here it is before.

remington model 11.jpg

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Sounds like a fun project. Please post a few pics when you have time! I would love to see them. It's hard to match the wood between old and new but go with a darker stain and Do each piece one at a time in coats and you might get a better match. Even if it doesn't match it will have character! Good luck and have fun!

goodlander

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2013
    DANVILLE
    Ok So here it is all sanded smooth and as much of the rust pits as I can get gone
    3.jpg

Here is what I am using to re-blue, well in this case black
    1.jpg

and here it is finished, picture does not do it justice it looks like a glossy black lacquer. Its going to turn out great, This stuff is soo easy to use.
    2.jpg

Ok question, should I black the bolt and charging handle? Or leave them metal finish. I am thinking black because I want to do this in all the etchings
    Forster Products Gunsmith Gold Inlay Demonstration by Reid Coffield - YouTube

Let me know your thoughts.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    If youre looking for parts that will fit or will fit with a little work, remember that this is a direct copy of Browning A5 and that Stevens and Winchester made some also.

goodlander

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2013
    DANVILLE
    Ok here it is, the gold stuff that I bought doesn't work, the etchings on the gun are too shallow to hold it in.

IMG_20130910_194857.jpg IMG_20130910_194911.jpg IMG_20130910_194925.jpg IMG_20130910_194937.jpg IMG_20130910_194949.jpg IMG_20130910_195006.jpg IMG_20130910_195041.jpg IMG_20130910_195050.jpg

Soon to be on Gunbroker.com
    I'm not going to mess with the wood, I figure if someone buys it they might want a different stain than what I put on it. Plus its $60.00 I don't have for the replacement forearm.

Let me know what you think, I think the Black came out nice. Just wish the Gold would have stayed and made the etchings pop.

Top Bottom