• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chrissmallwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Seymour, IN
    Hi all. I just bought my very first Savage earlier today. I picked up a Mark II GL with the accutrigger from Gander Mtn. I was just browsing through the racks and I thought to myself about how I didn't have a bolt action .22 other than my .22WMR Marlin 925M which can get expensive to shoot. I stopped when I got to the Savage's and this one piqued my interest. Now mind you Im actually right handed but I figured that since most of my shooting is done off a bench then the left handed action might work out better plus I thought it would be neat to own. Besides that the right handed models were 20$ more expensive and this one already had a set of weaver type scope mounts installed so I figured it was a better deal. All night I couldn't wait to get home so I could fiddle with it. Hopefully it wont be my last, Id like to buy a Stevens 200 in .223. Anyway enough of my babbling here are a few pics.
    Picture854.jpg

Picture856.jpg

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    congrats. it will be the 1st of many. the only thing wrong is that the bolt is on the wrong side. I have the 200 in .223 and the 10fp in .223 and i love them both.

chrissmallwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Seymour, IN
    Yeah, I know the bolt is on the wrong side but I did that on purpose. I thought it would be neat to own a left handed .22 bolt action and since I shoot mainly from the bench then its not much of a problem.

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    of course i was just picking on you.
    I have the thumbhole laminate stock RIGHT handed one and it is probably my favorite rifle.

i cant wait to get your range report

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Congratulations on the new gun. I bought a bull barrel Mark II in HM2 when they first came out (LH bolt) and love it. I shoot southpaw so if you get tired of it just let me know. They are great little guns.

chrissmallwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Seymour, IN
    Id love to be able to give a range report. I'd go to the range right now if I was allowed just to be able to shoot it. Maybe tommorow I can get to the range and see how she does.

45-70- You aren't the first to let me know that you'll take it off my hands if I get tired of it. Like I told them you'll have better luck winning the lottery then getting this rifle. Ive traded and sold a few of my guns over the years but never a rimfire, they're just too good to let go of.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I love my MKIIFV with bull barrel. It's really picky on ammo, as I found out today. Only shot it twice so far, but she has a sexy trigger. Looking at either getting a .22MWR, or .223 later down the road. I found the best loads for me at 100 yards where CCI mini-mags, and Remington golden bullet.
    015.jpg

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    Yeah, I know the bolt is on the wrong side but I did that on purpose. I thought it would be neat to own a left handed .22 bolt action and since I shoot mainly from the bench then its not much of a problem.

Good thinking!;) I too do a lot shooting from the bench and understand how this could benefit a shooter especially being able to maitain rifle position and most of your shooting posture while still operating the action. This will cut down on side to side shifts in POI and increase repeatability of POI.

Welcome to wonderful world of Savages! They have improved quite impressively over the past few years and are wonderful shooters across the caliber range. I personally own several, 204, 2 222Rems, 223, 2 22-250s, and a 7Mag and must say they are almost my best shooting rifles especially with factory ammo.:patriot::ingo:

chrissmallwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Seymour, IN
    Well I finally got her to the range earlier:). Had quite a bit of fun with it but it took me a bit to get used to the left-handed bolt. I only shot her at 25yds to try and get her sighted in, once I finally got her close I was able to keep all of the shots within 1.5" if I took my time. This was with Mini-Mags and the Federal bulk stuff. Both pretty much shot to the same point of aim. Ill have to try and see if some differrent ammo will produce better results. All in all she performed flawlessly except when I loaded the magazines with more than 7 rnds. If I did then when I would try to chamber a round the bottom of the bullet would get pushed into the bottom of the chamber and get gouged, 7 rnds or less would feed fine. Im guessing that since its a new mag that there is still too much spring pressure with more than 7 rnds so I might try to work the springs for a bit to ease the tension on them, hopefully that will help. All in all Im pretty happy with it

Good thinking!;) I too do a lot shooting from the bench and understand how this could benefit a shooter especially being able to maitain rifle position and most of your shooting posture while still operating the action. This will cut down on side to side shifts in POI and increase repeatability of POI.

I did find that shooting right handed with a left handed bolt made it much easier to see when the gun was empty and too load rounds in one at a time if I chose too without having to move the gun to see what I was doing.

Tin Cup

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Michiana
    Nice choice on the savage. I have a MKII-LV, pre accutrigger. But it is on nice shooter. If you haven't checked out glass for it yet look at a mueller APV. Not to bad for the money. 4.5-14x40 AO. I like mine quite a bit.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have had a Savage MK II for many years now and it serves well as the garbage disposal of ammo that doesn't work in any other rifle. It will eat anything and is amazingly accurate with almost all ammo. Great rifle for the price, or any price.

Enjoy yours!!!

Top Bottom