• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hrdwarhax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    Marion Co. Castleton
    all are gun related of course so i think im posting in the right area.

1) a couple weeks ago a friend and i went to gander mountain in castleton, not many close gun shops in our area and we wanted to save gas. my friend, who is 20, wanted to see a revolver of some sort, so he asked to and was asked for his drivers license. i thought ok to make sure he is 18. but the man behind the counter wouldnt let him breathe on it much less touch it. that same day we made our first trip to pops guns and he held a revolver no questions asked. i guess this question is realy just. WTF?

2) i have done alot of reading and just want some clarification. am i allowd to make a gun? ive read that i can make any firearm that i am legaly allowed to purchase. so for me that narrows it to long arms, im ok with that. so i still need to pay that $200 tax? this would be 100% made by me. if i make it can i just dismantle it?

3) i have been looking in to ranges. like many i would like a free one. heck id be fine with going to someones backyard if it was legal. unfortunately wilbur wright is kinda far to go as often as i would like and atterberry is MUCH too far for that as well. as a result of my fruitless search i looked into cheap range memberships, it seems that elwood is the best for my area at i think it was $65 to join and it is year round. i guess my question is any advice on this or anyone with a backyard range willing to make a friend :P?

4) my last question before i submit this to the interwebz, i want a mosin nagant, mosin nagants fire 7.62x54r rounds. this round is a rifle round. rifle rounds cannot be fired in pops guns range if i cant find a differnt range. i found inserts that allow me to fire .32 cal. rounds. could i bring my hypothetical mosin to pops with my insert and fire it ? if i could, would they sell me the required pistol ammunition if i used it in my rifle.

thank you for your time and i wish you all the best for you and yours

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    1. I don't let sweaty guys touch my guns. Did he look sweaty? I'll bet that was it.

2. You can make any gun you want to for yourself, You can never sell it or give it to someone else. Even to one of your sweaty friends.

3. Just come to my backyard. You can shoot as much as you want. Just don't bring one of your sweaty friends. My wife won't like it.

4. i can't answer this because I am not Pop's and I don't have anything to do with Pop's. If I was you, I would just do it until, or unless I was caught, then I would say, I didn't know that I couldn't do it. And I would try to be really sincere. And I would also point out that I am not a sweaty shooter.

I wish you my best too.

Welcome to INGO.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I don't know. The ATF has the definitive answer, I am pretty sure. I would be afraid to give you the wrong answer and cause any trouble for you.

There are probably plenty of knowledgeable folks on this forum, but if it was me, I would still double check with the folks that could lock me up for 10 years.......

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    For number one, I'm assuming Pop's didn't check his age? He can not buy a pistol from a dealer if he is not 21. Why let someone oggle something you know they can't purchase?

Number two. I'm not sure on the legality, but what are you trying to make? If you are more talking about building an existing design from something that has an existing receiver, then there is no issue. If you are talking something new, do you have the engineering and machining knowledge to be safe? I don't know about you, but I would never stand behind something I built. That just isn't in my skill set, so be safe.

Three. $65 isn't bad. I pay $80 for 10 sessions.

Four. Defeats the purpose. Buy a pistol caliber Carbine. I would assume they would sell you the ammo if they stock it and you are 21 (doesn't sound like you are?) But I'm not sure they would let you shoot it.

hrdwarhax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    Marion Co. Castleton
    i do have engineering and machining knowledge. and i proboly wontbuild anything for a long while. i just wanted to know for sure that anything that i make is subject to that $200 tax.

thank you both for your responces at 2 in the morning haha

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    hey, don't make light of our answers. If you are wrong, you could be in big trouble.

This is not a laughing matter. And the rules are always subject to change.

hrdwarhax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    Marion Co. Castleton
    trust me, imnot going to touch anything untill i know every detail about the law reguarding my actions. and i fully understand that any stupid thing that i do weighs on more than just myself. i wont bring the sky down on us and cause more anti firearm sentiment.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    :welcome:Welcome to INGO! Congrats on helping introduce your friend to firearms.

1. Gander Mountain is not a place to go to get good service, good information or good prices. My advice is to go to a local shop and get to know the guys that work there. You'll probably find that you get a lot better service and information and maybe prices. They'll probably let your friend take a look at handguns but of course not purchase any until he's 21.

2. You are allowed to build a gun but as previously stated building is something that requires a lot of knowledge and I mean more than just machining. sloughfoot gave good advice on checking with the ATF before you build from scratch.

3. If you are looking for a place to shoot handgun-calibers in handgun or rifles as well as 22rf rifle, Marion County Fish and Game is a terrific range. We have membership meetings the 1st Tuesday of the month at 7:00PM, November 1st is the next meeting. You can shoot 365 days a year from 8:00AM to sunset. No centerfire rifle cartridges can be fired at the club, so keep that in mind. Shooting the .32 with the insert would be allowable at MCF&G but the 7.62x54 or any other centerfire is strictly verboten.

4. I'd recommend calling Popguns to see if they allow shooting with the insert or find a place to shoot centerfire.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    fall creek valley conservation club is in anderson and is 100 your first year and 50 a year after that but since the year is almost done i believe it is alot cheaper for the first year now. they have ranges from 7-100 yards

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    1. Handgun purchase requires you to be 21. If someone fails to check, that's on them.

2. It's possible to make whatever you want, as long as it's legal to own, and you don't even have to tell anyone. There is something called an 80% lower for an AR15, for example. The lower is the only part that requires an FFL transfer, but if you complete an 80% one, no FFL, no paperwork, no taxes, just build it. As stated, it's for your own use, and cannot be transferred to anyone else.

3. There are ranges. Most will cost something, or require a drive. Got any friends with farms? The information is out there; I won't pretend to inform you.

4. Never heard of firing .32's out of a Mosin, and that sounds skeevy. There are plenty of places to fire the real deal (see #3). Just do it.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    You can make firearms in reasonable numbers for personal use without any tax that I'm aware of.

If you manufacture arms with intent to sell them or in considerable numbers you need and manufacturers license and will be taxed on that accordingly.

As always, a call to the BATFE (blechhhh) will be the say so on such matters

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    You will have to pay or drive for any range.....personally, I'd make contact with someone close to you who has property that you can shoot on.....I do NOT go to POP's if my life depended on it....for a winter indoor range I go to Don's, while it's not in the best area or the best ventilated range at least I know they are open until 10 every day and that I can shoot everything I own there and will not have to wait for HOURS on end like at Pop's.....also, you can get a discount card if you go every 10 days or so....

as far as making a gun...you can make pretty much anything you want (non-NFA) for personal use without filling out anything or paying anything......you CANNOT give it away or sell it off....it's YOURS..........anything beyond that and you will have to contact the ATF for necessary paperwork for whatever you are looking to do

hrdwarhax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    Marion Co. Castleton
    7.62x54r To .32 Cal. Multi - Chamber Insert, Shooting Supplies, Tite-Lok at Sportsman's Guide

this is what im refering to when i talk about insert. i think it looks pretty good and safe. tho again i am a novice seeking guidence from the more experienced. thank you all so much for your time and help.

and one more thing. i am very financially challenged and you could have proboly figured. the reason for mosin nagant is for the price any more suggestions on a comperable priced rifle?

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Mosin's are quite powerful 7.62x54r are quite powerful. Some indoor ranges could very possibly not stop or be damaged by that round. Also most of that military surplus are full metal jacket that really penetrate. As far using that insert you'd have ask, are 32's cheap to buy?

Atterbury is open to the public, I think, a little drive but spend the day or do something else while down there.

Get a 22 there are easy to buy and cheap to shoot. Also look into re-loading for big calibers, helps keep cost down and IMO interesting.

Keep asking questions, that is the only way learn and not get bad info.

hrdwarhax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    Marion Co. Castleton
    i was thinking about a 22 but i havnt found any that are as cheap as a mosin. if i did get a mosin i would proboly just join elwood conservation club. i like the price and distance. o and another thing about 22's i went to walmart one day cause i was bored. i saw a box of 22's for 2 dollars. thunderbolts. i decided to get them and just study them. reading about them is one thing and holding the thing is another. well i have someone get them out and ring them up and he asks for my drivers license. he wouldnt let me buy them cause i wasnt 21. other people are able to get them because they say it is for a rifle but i had no option for that here.

and i am very interested in reloading.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    i was thinking about a 22 but i havnt found any that are as cheap as a mosin. if i did get a mosin i would proboly just join elwood conservation club. i like the price and distance. o and another thing about 22's i went to walmart one day cause i was bored. i saw a box of 22's for 2 dollars. thunderbolts. i decided to get them and just study them. reading about them is one thing and holding the thing is another. well i have someone get them out and ring them up and he asks for my drivers license. he wouldnt let me buy them cause i wasnt 21. other people are able to get them because they say it is for a rifle but i had no option for that here.

and i am very interested in reloading.

You should can easily pick up a .22 for less than 200 bucks. You have quite a few different models to pick from and variations.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    the Ruger 10/22 is the best option.....there are virtually limitless options in aftermarket upgrades available for......for starters it is a little more than the Mosin....around $200 give or take $25.......but they're accurate, fun plinkers.....22 ammo is the cheapest around

your best bet is to avoid buying anything gun related from walmart...if their employees aren't knowledgeable enough to know who can buy what...then I wouldn't buy anything related from them..........

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Bradis on Kentucky Ave., ITS in Mooresville, Plainfield Shooting Supplies.....all of these are by far the best around town..............ITS doesn't have a huge selection on hand, but pick out what you want and go see how much he can order it for you...and I guarantee he'll beat all the others prices.....the only way to buy cheaper is online........

buy off of Gunbroker.com calculate for shipping to BZGunz in plainfield which only charges a $10 transfer fee and that is usually the absolute cheapest way to by almost any gun...........if you want a selection to look through and figure out what you want then go to Bradis and/or Gander mountain...but DO NOT buy from gander mountain...they have too high of prices

Top Bottom