• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So Im starting to investigate building my first upper. Ive got a Bushmaster A2 style carbine, and am looking to build a flat top 20" free float upper with a scope for the range. Not going to be doing anything crazy like wanting sub-MOA at 500 yards. Just something in 5.56 for the range, and possibly varmints.

As I recall there is a difference between M4 ramps and regular, and mixing and matching doesnt always work. How do I tell what would be compatible with my lower? Its a Bushmaster XM15-E2S. Or now that I think about it, is it a mix/match between the upper and the barrel? (not at home to put my eyeballs on it.) And if it is the barrel/receiver, what are the benefits of the two ramp styles?

My plan is to start with this, and then eventually buy a new lower and use quality parts like a better trigger, etc. and end up with two rifles. But for now, I'll be happy with one rifle with interchangeable uppers.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks. Given Jollymon's article, I'm thinking rifle. My takeaway is the M4 profile is less prone to feed issues. though I may not have a choice as I'm budget conscious.

Guess I'll start with the barrel and work my way from there.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Thanks. Given Jollymon's article, I'm thinking rifle. My takeaway is the M4 profile is less prone to feed issues. though I may not have a choice as I'm budget conscious.

Guess I'll start with the barrel and work my way from there.
    What I have found recently, is that it is difficult to find a stripped upper without m4 feed ramps. If you buy a barrel without M4 feed ramps, then cannot find a upper without, you'll be in trouble. If you decide to do rifle, I'd shop around and make sure you can find an upper before buying the barrel.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Larue claims that there may be some accuracy benefits to running a rifle extension and upper due to the ramps being gentler on the bullets and potentially deforming the projectiles less.

That may be way down the chain of accurizing, though... And I'm sure there's a big long list to go through before you get to the point of that making a difference.

To the OP: Most common right now is M4. I'd just go that route for ease of finding parts.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk101/nasutton/gallery_18313_138_71257.jpg

See the above image. I'm not aware of any benefit of one vs. the other besides the fact that M4 feed ramps seem to be more common.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Your rounds will chamber so much better with the ramps. Alot less chance for miss feeds such as what happens in some pistols such as the hi point C9. The last i knew, non M4 receivers didnt exist anymore as that hasnt been milspec for years.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Larue claims that there may be some accuracy benefits to running a rifle extension and upper due to the ramps being gentler on the bullets and potentially deforming the projectiles less.

That may be way down the chain of accurizing, though... And I'm sure there's a big long list to go through before you get to the point of that making a difference.

To the OP: Most common right now is M4. I'd just go that route for ease of finding parts.

Given the quality of the barrel ill buy and other factors, you are correct. The ramp/bullet deformation is WAAAAY down the list of issues.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IIRC....The ramps on the M4 were most efficient and reliable on full auto. Not to much difference other than that. Maybe a little as far as accuracy goes but I don't think it's as much of a factor as some believe.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Never said they didn't still make them somewhere, i said as far as i know they didnt.

You are so lost. If you don't know then don't say they don't exist anymore:dunno: If they don't exist anymore, then why are they still being made for the military?? This kind of misinformation really grinds my gears.......

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    So? Question what is the difference?

It would help if you read the thread:

gallery_18313_138_71257.jpg

Top Bottom