• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I just wrote a message to Toys'R'Us customer relations and it goes as follows:

To whom it may concern:
    Yesterday I took my son to your ToysRUs location in Fort Wayne, Indiana at 4122 Lima Road. Walking up to the front door I see a sign "No Firearms Permitted on Premises" or something to that effect. I told my wife I would wait in the car as I am not fond of being separated from my legally carried firearm. I sat in the car for a moment fuming over your policy, unloaded my firearm, stored it and went inside to speak to a manager.

Once someone made it to the guest services counter I simply asked, "Can you explain to me why your company has such a policy that prohibits a holder of Indiana's License to Carry Handgun would not be allowed to be armed?" I went on to explain to the men I spoke to that people like me follow rules and are not there to harm others. I went so far as to show him my holster that did not have its firearm in it. I told him that I was quite displeased with the fact that your corporate policy is now preventing me from protecting my wife and child in the event that something were to happen where defending them is justified.

I was further told that ToysRUs stopped selling toy guns about 10 years ago. For what reason, I do not know. I caught up to my wife after my conversation with your employees and told her of my exchange and your refusal to sell toy guns. Ironically, my son had nestled in his arms a toy Nerf gun. I could take the time to cite many "questionable" toys that could theoretically encourage kids to behave in aggressive or violent ways, but I will not at this time other than to point out, that if "realistic" guns is what your company has chosen not to sell, then I am curious to know why a plethora of games with realistic depictions of firearms are sold at your stores.

I concluded with your employees that I will: 1) not come back to your stores (was only there because my kid had some gift cards); 2) encourage friends and family to NOT buy gifts and/or gift cards for my children from your stores in the future; 3) encourage other like-minded people to avoid shopping at your stores until such time that your company changes its policy regarding the legal carrying of firearms in your stores.

Regards,

John

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The only thing I forgot to include was a poke at their "diversity" statement which obviously does not include accepting my lifestyle of legally carrying a firearm and reads:

Excellence through diversity is more than just a philosophy at Toys“R”Us, Inc. – it is a core component of how we play to win, achieve business results and distinguish ourselves as an employer of choice. Our commitment to diversity includes embracing both similarities and differences in our customers, employees and suppliers. As a company that operates in many different markets worldwide, our employee base includes people of diverse backgrounds, cultures, religions, ages and lifestyles – and we value those differences.

We recognize that diversity encourages creativity and innovation, and by taking advantage of a wide variety of perspectives and experiences, we are able to be more creative and ensure we are meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers. Our performance-based culture encourages open communication and learning from each other, and by sharing our varied experiences, we can collaborate more effectively, which strengthens our ability to succeed.

We believe that a great workplace includes colleagues who share their knowledge and experiences, listen actively and demonstrate mutual respect. By cultivating an environment that empowers our employees to incorporate diversity into all aspects of our business, we can continue to create a competitive edge that benefits our customers and supports our mission of being the world’s greatest kids brand.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I think Torys R Us has been beat to death here, but I think we can all feel your pain. Hopefully the family will refrain from gift cards from there in the future, I know mine does.

If it makes any difference, the sign holds no legal recourse, the worst they can do is ask you to leave. My wife, me and a several of my friends regularly walk past these signs without any extra drama.

mizzi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    Shoot (pun intended), I even carry in babies-r-us... crazy hormones are rampant in there!

Seriously though, my business goes elsewhere whenever possible, and your letter was right on point. Toysrus is dead to me. Now I can keep the wife out of the baby one, that will be tough.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Do what you want -
    but you shouldn't let anything discourage you from exercising your rights and protecting your family. Period!

Carry On. :draw:

Last I checked, toy stores were crawling with 5 year old girls, so it would be crazy not to carry. :rolleyes:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Thank god my son is too old for that store now. My typical summer wear includes a baggy t shirt, which upon seeing a 'NO GUNS ALLOWED" sign, conveniently slips over OC firearm.
    (You wouldn't believe how long in took me to correctly spell 'conveniently':dunno:)

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I quit looking at signs, they carry no weight of law, so i don't look for them. I will leave if someone notices that i am CC, but that hasn't happened yet. As a matter of fact i was asked to leave my knife out in my car because of a no weapons policy, my knife was directly over my Glock 26, but it went unnoticed, so i walked out to my car an dropped the knife in the car, and walked back in, with the G26. While i was there i was told sorry about that, our new security doesn't miss a thing. I don't disarm, unless it is required by law, and then i am not happy about it.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I understand everyone's opinion of "just go ahead and carry anyway", but don't agree. I simply can't understand how those who are in favor of the 2nd amendment are willing to give their business to those who aren't. I'm having a child in the near future, and appreciate threads like this that help me decide which businesses to give my hard earned money to.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I understand everyone's opinion of "just go ahead and carry anyway", but don't agree. I simply can't understand how those who are in favor of the 2nd amendment are willing to give their business to those who aren't. I'm having a child in the near future, and appreciate threads like this that help me decide which businesses to give my hard earned money to.

Bingo! I just take my money elsewhere. Toys R Us is not even a consideration for me when shopping.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yet another reason why I dislike Toys-r-Us. Much nicer toy stores around.

Funny, though, that I've carried into Babies-R-Us many times without issue. :dunno:

Always thought it was funny that we expect others to respect our 2A rights, but we have no issue disrespecting their property rights in return (CC right passed a No Guns sign). I suppose I am as hypocritical as everyone else... Just think its funny.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Just carry concealed, no one will be the wiser. I get why people dont agree when stores have policies like this, but you have two options. Carry anyway or shop elsewhere its not a big deal, certainly not enough for me to waste my time sending letters that accomplish nothing. Look at it from their perspective, there are certainly more non gun people than gun people. You going to cater to the minority or majority.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Yet another reason why I dislike Toys-r-Us. Much nicer toy stores around.

Funny, though, that I've carried into Babies-R-Us many times without issue. :dunno:

Always thought it was funny that we expect others to respect our 2A rights, but we have no issue disrespecting their property rights in return (CC right passed a No Guns sign). I suppose I am as hypocritical as everyone else... Just think its funny.
    Don't worry. You'll stop feeling like a hypocrite as soon as you need your piece when a mad man walks in and start shooting the place up. ;)

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Don't worry. You'll stop feeling like a hypocrite as soon as you need your piece when a mad man walks in and start shooting the place up. ;)
    Just wondering, what would be the corporate tort liability if this happened, and lawful owners were unable to protect themselves and others.

Arguably owners who ban lawful guns are assuming an obligation to protect their customers against criminal assault.

Unless their GFZ sign also states that by entering their premises you waive the right to self-defense, and assume all foreseeable risks that might occur as a result.

Thinking...

Top Bottom