• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ejmunden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Had my first go around with my grandpas Ithaca Model 37 tonight. He gave it to me 2 days ago and I spent yesterday cleaning the 15 years of gunk off of it. When I shot it tonight it felt just as smooth as a brand new gun. I was just looking for some history on these guns thought you guys could help.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    My grandfather purchased a Mod 37 Featherlight 12Ga for my father when he was a young teen. When I turned 13, my father gave it to me. I kept it in mint condition until January of 84 & I lost it in a house fire with no insurance. It kicked like a mule, but I sure miss that shotgun.

You got a jewel my friend. +1 for Grandpa!

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    Congrats! My Grandpa gave me his 37 12ga, when I was 15 (25 years ago) and I love that gun. I still have it, use it and intend on giving it to my son when he is old enough.

Ejmunden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Mine is in far from mint shape but has probably killed enough ducks and rabbits to fill a pickup truck bed. I will keep it until I have a grandson

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Gramps left my brothers and I a seasoned 16ga Ithaca 37. I love it. Dropped a fat rooster a few years ago with it.

Oh, it slam fires if you hold the trigger down when racking the next round. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Ejmunden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Good to know. Mine is a 12 gauge. I can't wait to shoot some skeet with it this summer!!!

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Gramps left my brothers and I a seasoned 16ga Ithaca 37. I love it. Dropped a fat rooster a few years ago with it.

Oh, it slam fires if you hold the trigger down when racking the next round. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Yeah, mine did to. It was great when I'd get into a covey of quail. Shoot from the hip n watch em drop, HA!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a couple 37 DS/PS 9 shot military guns and they are a blast to shoot. I like the old Ithicas. :yesway:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    What is it with grandfathers and 37's.... mine still has a 16 ga. featherlight that has to be my favorite shotgun ever. I've hunted lots of rabbits and squirrels with it and with dove and quail loads, blasted black birds by the truckload. A friend picked up an old military/police 12 ga. and had it tore down and parkerized. That one was sweet!

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Lots of model 37's were sold to left handed shooters of the time. Bottom ejection worke well with both left and right handers. The browning BPS also came out years later and captured some of the left handed shotgun shooters.

I would look at ordering a fireing pin as It has been my opinion that part is the one that gets broken. Model 13 winchesters also. Other than that they are rock colid shotguns. I mean with normal use you might have to replace the pin every 25 years or so.

Ejmunden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    I have done a little research and the serial number dates it to 1970. Sounds like it might be due to order a new firing pin soon since it is 41 years old.

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    In it's day it was one of if not the most popular shotgun going.It is a gun that both right and left hand shooters can use as the shells eject from the bottom.It is very reliable and a light gun to carry.They have started to make them again in Upper Sandusky ohio. Great Gun!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ejmunden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    I saw that they were producing them again. I wonder what the quality is compared to the old ones.

dpzj96

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    ECI
    Got two Ithaca's, each one given by a different grandpa. I got my 12 gauge model 37 when my Dad's dad passed away and my 20 gauge model 37 when I was about 13 from my Mom's dad. The 20 gauge has had "at least 3 or 4 truck beds full of rabbits in it" in its lifetime according to grandpa, and I don't doubt it one bit. It is my favorite gun to shoot. The 12 gauge on the other hand looked as if it were unfired when I received it about 2 years ago. I'm kind of regretting taking it out and running it through its paces now.

Ejmunden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    I'm sure your grandpa would want you to use it. Not just look at it. My grandpas ithaca is soon becoming one of my favorite guns to shoot.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky

My M37... :rockwoot:

Well..it was my dad's...

Here it is in my brother's hands. I'm the brat holding the rabbit.

12202008014sy7.jpg

Last edited:

Ejmunden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    What a great photo to have. Looks like you take great pride in the gun as well as I do mine. The hhhhhhhh is in wonderful shape. Its good to know there is a lot of history tied to this gun. That is what makes a great gun in my opinion, the story that goes along with it.

Top Bottom