• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Well in this case the rule is clearly bad when you're 18, allowed to own a gun, allowed by your state to carry it but not allowed by the federal government to buy it in a gun store.

That's just like being issued a driver's licence but not being allowed to buy a car from your local dealership. :dunno:

Maybe until he's 21 he could just buy a long gun and carry it around as a form of protest.

The point at issue is that the restriction is NOT on the 18 year old buyer. It is on the seller. A federally licensed gun dealer is not allowed to sell to anyone under 21. You only become subject to punishment if you lie on the form, much like people who couldn't have been proven guilty of any actual wrong-doing who get nabbed for perjury or lying to the police during the investigation or the trial.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I wondered about the straw purchase concerning the two of us. From what I have read, I can sell him any of my handguns or he can buy from an individual in a face to face situation but I can't buy one with his cash nor can I buy one with the express intent to sell it to him after my purchase.
    From this, I'm legal to sell him my R1, my G22 or G23 all of which I purchased used. Then I can take his money plus some extra of my own and buy me a new replacement.
    His HS graduation also falls on the same weekend as the next 1500!

Thanks for helping keep my ass out of jail for making straw purchases!

Matt

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    gi-joe-knowing-is-half-the-battle-now-we-know-and-knowing-is-half-the-battle.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well in this case the rule is clearly bad when you're 18, allowed to own a gun, allowed by your state to carry it but not allowed by the federal government to buy it in a gun store.

That's just like being issued a driver's licence but not being allowed to buy a car from your local dealership. :dunno:

It is the interaction of federal and state law. Remember, we are not a unitary state as you are. Federal law proscribes age limits for purchase from FFLs not individuals or carrying.

In 1968, Kennedy and Dodd were using "juvenile delinquents" as stalking horses for African-Americans. So rather than blame blacks for crime directly, Kennedy and Dodd used juveniles in public and then went to the Southern Senators and told them that the 1968 Gun Control Act was to keep blacks in line.

You can learn more about the racism behind the 1968 GCA/SSA in this book: https://www.amazon.com/Saturday-Night-Special-Robert-Sherrill/dp/0140040099

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Since he can legally get a ltch at 18, and can legally buy a handgun from a private party at 18, the answer seems obvious.
    He needs to wait until he gets his ltch, then show his ltch to a private party and buy a handgun from them.
    The law says nothing about where he got the money to buy it with, as long as he didn't get the money illegally.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You could legally gift him the new gun of his choice from the local FFL and sell him a bottle of CLP at a ridiculously inflated price.

Follow the letter of a ridiculous law to avoid ridiculous penalties, but feel free to violate it in every other way imaginable with a clean conscience.

(...should you so choose.) :yesway:

Taylor22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 3, 2016
    Morgan county
    You could legally gift him the new gun of his choice from the local FFL and sell him a bottle of CLP at a ridiculously inflated price.

Follow the letter of a ridiculous law to avoid ridiculous penalties, but feel free to violate it in every other way imaginable with a clean conscience.

(...should you so choose.) :yesway:

Methinks a prosecutor would have an argument as to intent...and not the director Comey version.

Edit: I don't disagree with you ;)

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Methinks a prosecutor would have an argument as to intent...and not the director Comey version.

Edit: I don't disagree with you ;)

That prosecutor could go pound sand. If he wants to nail me, he's going to need less foolish laws.

Thanks. ;)

Endrin2113

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Plainfield
    I wondered about the straw purchase concerning the two of us. From what I have read, I can sell him any of my handguns or he can buy from an individual in a face to face situation but I can't buy one with his cash nor can I buy one with the express intent to sell it to him after my purchase.
    From this, I'm legal to sell him my R1, my G22 or G23 all of which I purchased used. Then I can take his money plus some extra of my own and buy me a new replacement.
    His HS graduation also falls on the same weekend as the next 1500!

Thanks for helping keep my ass out of jail for making straw purchases!

Matt

Glad this decision was made. I've never gotten an adrenaline rush from an INGO thread before. it was like watching a thriller.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Life and other things got in the way of getting my grandson a gun for graduation. He did finally end up buying my Glock 23 from me. So I put a little more with it and bought another new Glock 22.
    He called me yesterday wanting me to head down to Greenwood to buy him another pistol. I had to refer back to this thread to brush up on the legalities of such a purchase. Looks like he’s out of luck this time unless I do as ATM suggested in post 30. :D

Matt

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I have the itch all the time but I need green $$$$$$ help to scratch it!

Imagine a world where you have that cash on hand but are in a state with a waiting period. *shudder* :whistle:

I think my kids are already figuring out what they want as a gift when they turn 18. I'm trying to downplay my favorites so they don't get any ideas...

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Imagine a world where you have that cash on hand but are in a state with a waiting period. *shudder* :whistle:

I think my kids are already figuring out what they want as a gift when they turn 18. I'm trying to downplay my favorites so they don't get any ideas...

I’d have a lot less guns if there was a waiting period. I used to be all over that instant gratification deal. Over half of my purchases have been impulse buys! Don’t regret a single one either!

Matt

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I’d have a lot less guns if there was a waiting period. I used to be all over that instant gratification deal. Over half of my purchases have been impulse buys! Don’t regret a single one either!

Matt

Impulse buy? What? Ooh, wait, there's something shiny in the classies.

Top Bottom