• ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Update on Leonidas

I decided to run Leo to the vet to check his weight, so I figured this would be a good time for a picture update.

Here is Leo @ 7 months, 71.4 lbs.

You can see some bare skin over his right eye in the first picture, he did that about an hour ago retrieving a tennis ball out from under my car.:n00b:

DSC_2948.jpg

DSC_2951.jpg

He knows basically every standard trick there is and we are now currently working on hide and seek(I make him sit in the corner, I hide a treat somewhere in the house, and he goes and finds it)...He's a little rough around the edges, but he's trying.

He's very obedient now and walks almost perfectly on a leash...Every now and again, he'll bark at a passing dog if the dog shows dominance or aggression, but a quick correction or two usually gets him focused again.

It's crazy how quick they grow up(in size, anyway).

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    thats a really good price from what ive seen, for a really good looking dog. ive been browsing breeders for when i finally buy a house. im looking at one of the long haired variety in the 115+ pound range.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Beautiful animal, my favorite breed. Sounds like you are training him good. At his age, he is a goofy teenager...LOL Most times they will sweep your coffee table with their tail and never think or know about it...LOL He will be a great companion for years to come.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    thats a really good price from what ive seen, for a really good looking dog. ive been browsing breeders for when i finally buy a house. im looking at one of the long haired variety in the 115+ pound range.

PM me when you are ready and I can give you breeder details. They are working lines, so they are head strong and need lots of exercise and attention, but with the proper training you'll have one helluva dog for an unbeatable price.

The breeder told me the specifics on their line(s) and gave me paperwork, but I seemed to have misplaced it at the moment...They are German, German Shepherds with the not-so-slanted gates(hips), and big boned or something to that effect, so they can easily meet your 115+ pound criteria and be able to hold it without their hips giving out...I'm going to try my hardest to keep him as trim as possible, so he doesn't get too big(110-115), but I'm not sure I'll be able to; he's a beast.

I actually just talked to the breeder the other day because my parents are in the market for another puppy and she said that she has several people in line for the next litter, but since I mentioned I was probably wanting another one when I picked up Leo, she'd bump me to the top of the list and I can have my pick...I'm sure if I mentioned I'll be needing another one in the future, I'm sure she'd to the same thing again, so just let me know.

I've got the girl for him.... just sayin :D $$$$

aubsanddaisy.jpg

True, true. That's a beautiful puppy! How old is she?

I saw your thread on her, but it only said her weight, not age.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Double.

Edit: I doubled, but I can mention this as well.

My Mom and brother drove to Nashville a month ago to pick up a GSD puppy. He got weighed at the vet today @ 21.6 lbs...I guess while my Mom was in there, she asked how much Leo weighed(we go to the same vet) at the new puppy's age and he weighed 38.4.:dunno:

They paid $1,000 for him.

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I said this in post #49:

My Mom and brother drove to Nashville a month ago to pick up a GSD puppy. He got weighed at the vet today @ 21.6 lbs...I guess while my Mom was in there, she asked how much Leo weighed(we go to the same vet) at the new puppy's age and he weighed 38.4.:dunno:

I found my records on Leo and confirmed that the vet had written it down wrong, he was 25 lbs...That makes WAY more sense, because their new puppy is a butterball.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    We had a grill-out at my parents today. I'm the only one in the house who isn't passed out. Xander swam for about 5 straight hours and these guys didn't stop playing/pestering eachother the entire time we were there.

get-attachmentaspx.jpg

Leo has a HORRIBLE hot spot on his back. It is completely bald and bloody.

I think it is because I cut his bi-daily dose of benadryl from two tablets to one. I gave him 2 oatmeal baths and upped his dosage back up to two tablets, but I'm not 100% sure if it is fixed or not.

Any suggestions?

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Leo has a HORRIBLE hot spot on his back. It is completely bald and bloody.
    Any suggestions?

When my GSD had a bloody hot spot (it was nasty) I took him to the vet to get it cleaned up. They shaved the remaining hair and disinfected it. He had to wear a cone for a couple of weeks. I've caught him trying to start another one a couple of times. I just use bitter apple on that spot and he leaves it alone.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Joe, Great looking GSD and you can't find a better, smarter breed. Bladen, my 6 year old is right at 115# and is such a smart obedient guy.
    I'll try to get some pics up.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    When my GSD had a bloody hot spot (it was nasty) I took him to the vet to get it cleaned up. They shaved the remaining hair and disinfected it. He had to wear a cone for a couple of weeks. I've caught him trying to start another one a couple of times. I just use bitter apple on that spot and he leaves it alone.

He gone over a day without picking at it, so I'm going to give it a bit longer before I go to those measures...I don't really feel like going through the hassle of him whining because he has to wear a cone.

He's sniffed at the spot a few times, but if I just snap my fingers, he leaves it alone. He still has enough hair over it to wear you can't see it unless he's picking at it and the hair is lifted up...I may take him to get a steroid shot though.

Oh yeah, and he loves the taste of bitter apple, so that's a no go.:n00b:

Joe, Great looking GSD and you can't find a better, smarter breed.

Thanks and I definitely agree.

The all black GSD pictured is a little :poop:. My parents don't know a whole lot about training dogs except for what I have told them, so I've been making a point to get Leo over to their house as much as possible. Not only to let Hank(little dog) see what a "big boy" is supposed to do, but also do some training routines with him. He's starting to catch on, but he's still stubborn as a mule.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

Who knows, maybe that's where he got his name from?:dunno:

:D

Anyway, so someone just messaged me and told me to use Salmon oil on his food and steer clear of any dog food that has corn in it...Problem is, the only stuff I'm seeing is Blue Buffalo and it's $47.00 for a 30lb bag...That's a bit(lot) more than I really want to spend on dog food. This sucker eats like a horse and a 50lb bag doesn't even last a month.

Are there any other cornless brands out there that are cheaper that I'm just not seeing?

Top Bottom