• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I'm a car guy. I don't think I could let it go. I see subframe replacement (lots of them out there) and core support then mostly superficial. As long as the pan isn't tweaked. But what I see is nice and salvagable. And this is from a GM guy. Either way, hope it works out for u.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    I use to do body work for a living and I've seen worse than that fixed. I'm sure if Allen has a frame rack he could fix it, If it's worth it to you.

Buuuuuttt If not....... I do need a set of 4 lug rims and tires for my Notch!:D

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    That really sucks! I hate to see any nice older cars banged up like that however...

A real gearhead would take this opportunity to make it better!

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I feel your pain, GT !! Been there, had that happen to a very nice and somewhat rare older car with some suspension mods I engineered myself.:(

Normal insurance companies are not our friend in these situations. If the book sez your car is worth XXX, that's all you get. It makes no difference to them that you spent huge chunks of money and even more in time making it special. They just ask you what the phrase "SOL" means to you. :rolleyes:

They are counting on two things: 1) You need another car now. and 2) It'll take time and money to settle through the legal system. Oh..and don't look for any "Concierge Service" to find you a replacement of like quality...they know that they can't come even close for anywhere near the money they are offering you, so....they make a few internet inquiries and once again refer to the "SOL" phrase.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I've added pics in the original post.

I use to do body work for a living and I've seen worse than that fixed. I'm sure if Allen has a frame rack he could fix it, If it's worth it to you.

Buuuuuttt If not....... I do need a set of 4 lug rims and tires for my Notch!:D

Oooh, it's already had a 5-lug conversion. But the spindles only have 10 miles on them :n00b: :crying:, if you wanted to do a conversion on yours. :D

That really sucks! I hate to see any nice older cars banged up like that however...

A real gearhead would take this opportunity to make it better!

You did not just insult my gearhead status, did you? :xmad: :D

The problem is not whether or not she CAN be repaired and improved. The problem is in determining whether it's worth it. At this point in my life, I'm not sure it is. We spent 2 years and embarrassing amounts of money restoring it. And I don't really want to do that all over again. There is no way the insurance company will reimburse me enough to cover the costs of what needs to be done. It simply won't happen. And I'm just not in love with the idea of spending even more money and having even more down time. She's spent more time on the jacks than on the ground since I've owned her and I really was getting used to the idea of having her around for the reason we bought her: HAVE FUN.

Sure, there is some satisfaction, and possibly even enjoyment in turning a wrench. But the opportunity costs are a little steep for me this time around.

I hate the idea of letting a fox body fall off the face of the earth. Clean ones are oh-so-hard to find these days (and she wasn't even totally clean). But the idea of spending more time and money just doesn't appeal to me now. At least with partin' her out I can get some money back out of it. The heads alone are half the KBB value. New tranny. Upper and lower intakes, valve covers, water pump. Not to mention the interior work done.

Great, now I wanna go have a drink and a smoke.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    At least with partin' her out I can get some money back out of it. The heads alone are half the KBB value. New tranny. Upper and lower intakes, valve covers, water pump. Not to mention the interior work done.
    Dibs on the engine!

Still hope you can get her fixed back up, though.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I guess I'll chime in here. I see my name has popped up a couple times.
    I Gather up all the receipts you have for the insurance evaluation. It will help.

You could retain it and fix it but doesn't really sound like you want to plus you may end up with a salvage title depending on insurance company. which would make the car worth less no matter how well it was fixed.

If you decide you do want to fix it I have a couple frame racks :) and can certainly take care of it for you.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    88GTs husband here. We have not fully decided what we are going to do yet. Depends on a let yet to happen. However, I'm not sure miss GT has brought up the fact that if we do part it out, the vast majority of desirables will find their way over to the GTs stable mate, my '92 Notch, which is in as is condition with all her original glory (well most of it) Thus, if we do part it out, the entire suspension, 5 lug conversion, rearend, and likely the TFS heads will make their way over to the notch.

Just didn't want anyone to get their hopes up too much for specific parts that 88GT may not have know already had a new destination.

Darn that Avalanche took it well!! Know I know why I keep my family in a big truck.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    88GTs husband here. We have not fully decided what we are going to do yet. Depends on a let yet to happen. However, I'm not sure miss GT has brought up the fact that if we do part it out, the vast majority of desirables will find their way over to the GTs stable mate, my '92 Notch, which is in as is condition with all her original glory (well most of it) Thus, if we do part it out, the entire suspension, 5 lug conversion, rearend, and likely the TFS heads will make their way over to the notch.

Just didn't want anyone to get their hopes up too much for specific parts that 88GT may not have know already had a new destination.

Darn that Avalanche took it well!! Know I know why I keep my family in a big truck.

OMG, you take this internet discussion stuff way too seriously, honey.

Top Bottom