My gun room is almost done, help me finish it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Follow Kipling's advise, a man can never have too many books, too much wine, or too much ammunition. Work on it. :cool:

I still am.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    You really need one of these too.

91r4XM5FLXL._SX355_.jpg

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Have you bought armorer blocks, fixtures and such?
    A set of Gunsmith's Kinks from Brownell's helps.
    I good ft/lb torque wrench and I highly recommend the Fat Wrench from Wheeler. Roll pin punches and definitely roll pin holders!

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Vise w/ soft jaw inserts, arbor press maybe, good-more lighting, cabinets, shelves. I know folks fuss about HF but you can get a decent vise there especially with a coupon. I found some used track lighting track, extenders, gimble fixtures. These were great for putting light directly on a loading press.

Looks like a very good start.

:ingo:

Last edited:

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Hey maybe you guys can actually work without comfortable chairs, although I don't know how ;)...but you should at the least have an eazy chair or two for when guests come to critique your work.

GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale
    What else should I add to make gun building and servicing easier? The room is 15 feet square.

View attachment 60547

"15 feet square" I assume that means 15' x 15' not fifteen square feet (3' x 5').

Ample workspace, places for the aforementioned vice, reloading equipment, storage for all the tools. Also gun storage. While you may not store your collection in the workshop, you might have a project going on where it would just be more convenient to have a small safe in the workshop area. One that would hold just a few guns and not the whole collection. For that matter, all your storage units should be lockable, ammo, reloading components, tools, etc, all are targets for sticky fingers.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I know. That's why I suggested more square feet. Of course, I should have suggested reading comprehension for myself first.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Hey maybe you guys can actually work without comfortable chairs, although I don't know how ;)...but you should at the least have an eazy chair or two for when guests come to critique your work.

Same here. Ours is 'desk' height so I can roll around in old office chairs. For me at least, its much more confortable working the press while rolling on an office chair.

Also, don't place a trash can 'under' the bench. Too easy to have things get lost accidentally in the trash by falling. I know. :(

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.

I really like having the small TV by my bench as well so i can hook up my computer to watch youtube instructional videos or things like that.

If you can do this with the smaller space, this is the way to go. Sheepdog did a nice job setting his up. Ammo cans can be stored under the work benches. Have a few gun mats and magnetic trays for small parts. Plenty of electrical outlets. Lighting, lighting, lighting. I am 46 and am already feeling the affects of aging eyes. Storage bins for extra parts. I could go on and on, but you get the picture I am sure.
    Oh, and the Girls and Guns calendar from page 1.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I just purchased two led ceiling lights. They are each 2 by 2 feet and put out about 4,000 lumens each. The light is very diffuse and set up to not cast shadows. It is very bright now in the room.

080083751693.jpg

Top Bottom