• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    +1 for Smith Security Safes for the door.

Walls either poured concrete or 8” block with rebar in all voids and concrete filled.

Ceiling=

JOIST
    PLYWOOD
    GOAT FENCE
    PLYWOOD
    EXPANDED METAL MESH
    FIRE RATED DRYWALL

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Hammered out a contact a few days ago and pending specs are headed my way. The door proposed is the one the owner of the company had installed buy his own company (& yes, it's freaking expensive). The project manager and I will be meeting soon to hammer out some details. Hopefully everything will be wrapped up & complete before Thanksgiving.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hammered out a contact a few days ago and pending specs are headed my way. The door proposed is the one the owner of the company had installed buy his own company (& yes, it's freaking expensive). The project manager and I will be meeting soon to hammer out some details. Hopefully everything will be wrapped up & complete before Thanksgiving.

Steel ain't cheap.

Glad to hear it's progressing.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Love my gun room!.... Ok it's closet, I have a gun closet..

I am planning on doing the same thing with the closet in my home office. Even more so after I figured out due to the design of our house, that closet are a solid wall made of 2X4s.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    This is something I've considered in my new house as well. One thing I wasn't sure about is the feasibility of making a secure ceiling in an already completed house. No use in making a super secure concrete room with a safe door, if you just have a wood and carpeting up top.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My father-in-law had a room specifically poured when they did the basement for their new house. It will have a security door similar to what you have.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    This is something I've considered in my new house as well. One thing I wasn't sure about is the feasibility of making a secure ceiling in an already completed house. No use in making a super secure concrete room with a safe door, if you just have a wood and carpeting up top.

Have a neighbor that did just that. Poured walls when new house went in but left top open. Last I knew he installed a residential steel entry door as well.

68NOVA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2016
    nwi
    tenor.gif

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Looks great! Tell me more about the display wall. What company? How hard to install? What do you think of it? Cost? TIA

I went with https://tacticalwalls.com/modwall-main/. These panels fit my space and when I address another smaller wall, the polymer panels are easily cut with a circular saw. Panels are easily attached with screws on studs with indents on 16s" for easy installation (mine didn't fall where I wanted, so I ran 1×4s" so I could easily run on their 16s"). The hangers run on channels and are modular (the site has videos too). Screws are tension controlled with an allen wrench. I ordered some extra shotgun hangers and was glad I did because some of the rounded forends rolled on the flat hangers. I went with the magnetic pistol hangers rather than the posts (good magnets, so much so I showed my wife and she was unable to pull them apart). I watched a video of a display where some pistols dropped, plus, you would have to order right/left facing. This would limit the modularity.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    WOW!

Track lighting, fancy flooring, paint on the walls - way better than mine.

What door did you go with?
    Thanks. The door will remain hush, hush. I can tell you it's a custom hidden door around the $7K mark.

We had a radio programming class recently, and no one noticed or questioned it.

Top Bottom