My home A/C needs a recharge...any INGOers who do that?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have an A/C / Heat pump system (Carrier) and the A/C doesn't seem to be blowing very cold these days. It was installed in 2010 and uses the non-freon refrigerant. Are there any INGOers in the business who would be interested in this simple little job? I hate calling the big heating and air companies and would rather give the job to someone small and local. I am located near Speedway in Indianapolis, just outside 465 off 10th Street.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    The dude ya NEED.....an' in yer area......well he a lil' tied up at'a moment......

1_1_0060.jpg

:):

Oh.......HP's SUK!!!!!!!! :noway: :noway: :noway:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    If the mouse on the motorcycle can't fit you in, let me know. I'm in Franklin, but my mom is on the west side and I have to go work on her A/C in the morning. I can swing by.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    2010? Any of that still under warranty? It's been my luck that when I start having to have systems recharged, something bad is getting ready to happen!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    2010? Any of that still under warranty? It's been my luck that when I start having to have systems recharged, something bad is getting ready to happen!

+1 if the factory gas got out, the new gas will too. Unless the tech can also either find the leak, or inject something that will plug the pinhole, he will be back soon to charge it again.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Yep, refrigerant doesn't just disappear. Mine did something similar 3 years in. Turned out to be a pin hole in the A coil. Tech told me they make the tubes REALLY thin these days. It was covered under warranty.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    The system has a standard 5 yr. parts warranty.

If the charge is low, they need to find the leak. This way, *if* the evaporator coil is the culprit, you can get the parts covered by the warranty.

BTW, Freon is generic term for refrigerant (usually referring to R12). Older systems are R22 and the new systems use R410.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yes, "freon" is a generic term and can mean dichlorodifluoromethane, dichlorotetrafluoroethane, various things. The sneaky thing is, or was, that these molecules don't affect the ozone layer, because they're so damned heavy they fall on the floor. The ozone layer is way up there. These things are on the floor. They almost make a "thud" sound when they land, they're so heavy. This would almost be ironic, given that they're blamed for ozone depletion, except that that was as much a fraud as "global warming". Enough of my stupid opinions, though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    PM sent.
    These units run extremely high pressures. If the plastic access caps are not tight or have crap "O" rings in them they will leak. I replace these with these with the good brass pieces.
    Also letting the coil get dirty runs the pressures up and can cause issues.

Left my cell number in PM.......Call me and I will get out to see you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes, "freon" is a generic term and can mean dichlorodifluoromethane, dichlorotetrafluoroethane, various things. The sneaky thing is, or was, that these molecules don't affect the ozone layer, because they're so damned heavy they fall on the floor. The ozone layer is way up there. These things are on the floor. They almost make a "thud" sound when they land, they're so heavy. This would almost be ironic, given that they're blamed for ozone depletion, except that that was as much a fraud as "global warming". Enough of my stupid opinions, though.

The whole issue started with patent rights. They have limits. When the rights to "Freon" ran out the "new and improved blends were shoved up the consumers butts. Follow the Money. It is a total Farce.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

If I remember correctly, they theorized that when the HCFC (hydrochloroflourocarbons) refrigerants like R22 were released into the air, over time the molecules would break down and the hydrogen atoms, which are lighter than air, would carry the chlorine atoms with them up into the ozone. That's why the new refrigerants like 134a and 410a are HFC, or hydrofluorocarbons. But I agree with you, the older refrigerants like R-11 and R-12 we're just CFCs, chlorofluorocarbons. No way they would've made it up there. And of course we all realize they don't give a hoot about the ozone. They just want to regulate people to death. The issue is never the issue!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If I remember correctly, they theorized that when the HCFC (hydrochloroflourocarbons) refrigerants like R22 were released into the air, over time the molecules would break down and the hydrogen atoms, which are lighter than air, would carry the chlorine atoms with them up into the ozone. That's why the new refrigerants like 134a and 410a are HFC, or hydrofluorocarbons. But I agree with you, the older refrigerants like R-11 and R-12 we're just CFCs, chlorofluorocarbons. No way they would've made it up there. And of course we all realize they don't give a hoot about the ozone. They just want to regulate people to death. The issue is never the issue!

True to a degree. The levels of chlorine in R-22 is nowhere near disaster levels. They were looking for a way to make the demise of the HCFC's (actually due to revinue loss from reasons stated above) fit into the green deal which is so full of holes it floats just like the Titanic.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    PM sent.
    These units run extremely high pressures. If the plastic access caps are not tight or have crap "O" rings in them they will leak. I replace these with these with the good brass pieces.

You don't need no stinkin' O-rings... the local HVAC guy never uses them or tightens down the caps! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom