• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I don't know anything realy about alarms but I did help a buddy install cameras at his business. Then the cameras linked up so that you could remotely watch the cameras from a PC. So if you were at work you could log into the system and look through the cameras at your house.

It also recorded so you can play it back. Which is funny because one of his guys fell off a ladder a few weeks after install and broke his arm. So my buddy calls me at work and says go to the camera at such and such time frame and watch the recording. So I did. Watched him climb the ladder and fall. Kind of funny but I am kind of sick that way. LOL

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've heard this from many people actually, before today. I am an act quick kind of person, this will be addressed immediately. Safes are already in place (and obviously worked) & doors are in the works. I wish my dad were still around, I definitely need him tonight. I was already paranoid about my neighborhood because my neighbor's house got broken into earlier this year during Memorial Day. I guess I took it light-hearted when that happened and should have made changes then.

But remember the point that they now know you have safes. They may just be getting together what they need to get those and looking forward to another trip to your house when things settle down. I would immediately get an alarm system for the home. And have it on at night when you sleep. Safes mean valuables to the POS's. Get it taken care of.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    So was the laptop ever taken or was it just lost under the bed?

either way, glad you found it.

We thought it was stolen, they had completely trashed our bedroom. My wife was the one who initially checked most of our items while putting the room back together. I don't know how she didn't see it. Now if I could just find the glasses....
    But remember the point that they now know you have safes. They may just be getting together what they need to get those and looking forward to another trip to your house when things settle down. I would immediately get an alarm system for the home. And have it on at night when you sleep. Safes mean valuables to the POS's. Get it taken care of.
    That is exactly my train of thought right now. Yeah they didn't get much, but they know what I've got now. Thinking of upgrading the safes also. So much to do, feels like so little time considering they could come back any moment.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    side note with some camera systems, as has been mentioned already the remote viewing. my system also allows you to view on a smart phone.

motion lights are good, but with the cameras on my house, i just leave the exterior lights on all night. but again that is just me.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Here is one simple thing that has just become second nature to me but may seem a little wierd. Our laptop is usually right in our living room. If I come home to an empty house I land my eyes on that item immediately. Why? Because that is a for sure item someone would grab and it's right out in the open. If that thing is missing or layed somewhere strange I am alerted that something may not be right in the house.

You never know when you walked in on someone in the middle of what they are doing.

It's a simple thing but train yourself to be aware of something in particular that alerts you something is up in the house.

When I was younger my family went to church. We got a little down the road and we remembered that we forgot something. So we went back and my dad ran into the house quickly to grab it. We lived on the corner and there was a car in front of the house. Well, there was someone in the house and when they heard my dad come come in they ran out the front door. There were already items in a pillow case in the living room.
    The people were never caught.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    I'm sorry this happened to you and I've been there myself many moons ago and it was a so called "friend" or known person. Of course the number one thing is that you and yours are okay. Stuff can be replaced. What can't be replaced is the feeling of security. I would be lying if I said everything will go back to normal but it won't and it shouldn't.

There is a high probability that it is someone that knows your routine or perhaps even knows you or knows someone who know you. It could be random and not taking at least one gun tells me it is an amateur thief looking for some quick cash or stuff to pawn without trying to fence a stolen gun.

For peace of mind, you are doing the right thing by beefing up access points but if a someone wants to come in, they will find a way, but don't make it easy for 'em.

The positive in this is that you are not alone in this experience and after some time has passed, you will start to let it go, but you will never be the same. In my opinion, once a person's security is violated like this, they wake up to the reality of how life really is. Also, the chance of it happening again is very rare.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Well I got the new back door installed today completely. Some of the things I did extra were used a bunch of 3-inch long construction grade screws to fasten damn near everything to the studs of the house. I ran them through all of the hinges, dead bolt plate on frame, and the regular latch plate. I also completely encased the dead bolt plate on the frame with metal brackets to reinforce the wood where the dead bolt hole is. If the wood did break, the metal brackets will keep everything together because I anchored them to the studs with 4 of the 3inch screws. The entire frame of the door is anchored all the way around right to the studs. It's no vault, but it's 10x's better than before. I also changed all the locks and deadbolts in the house with new ones, in case the thief stole a set of house keys. Tomorrow morning I'm going shopping with the Menards card and getting the other items I previously mentioned in earlier posts. Today was a step in the right direction. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate this community.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    T dogg, I am GLAD, all is well... Get everything done, then take a break, and be thankful, for what you have, your lives, each other etc... constantly reevaluate everything, and make notes, and then fix whatever needs fixing, right away, don't wait until later... ( I am a professional peocrastinator)..... (sp???)... GOOD LUCK, and keep a watchful eye .....

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I have to say that I am really sorry to hear abut that. My thought are with you and I hope they catch the creap(s) who did this.

Top Bottom