• ...and so much more!
  • Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Been having an intermittent problem with it not wanting to start. This has been going on since September. When the problem occurs it has the following symptoms:

Turn the key
    All dash lights light and run through the pre-start checks.
    Get all the dings and buzzers and such.
    When ignition in start position, I hear a relay click but no crank.

I have replaced the starter. The battery/charging system has been load tested several times. Originally thought it might be a bad ground, but I don't think I would get lights and things if that was the case.

The most recent failure occurred yesterday. I drove it for about 35 minutes. Parked it for about 1 hour. When I tried to start it it wouldn't. Let it sit for 4 hours. Still wouldn't start. Had it towed to the shop. Wouldn't start when the tow driver dropped it at the shop around 5:45PM last night. It started this morning when the mechanic went to see what the problem was. He hasn't been able to get it to fail yet today.

I'd like to know if any other Jeep owners have seen this problem and if so, what did you do to fix it.

Yeah, I know..... It's a Jeep... :rolleyes:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I would sign up at the Jeep forum and ask the question.

I have a Dodge minivan that did the same thing, but was very intermittent like yours. Had 2 different garages look at it and they couldn't figure out the problem either.
    Finally found a post on the Dodge forum from some guy with the same problem. It turn out to be, of all things, a crack in the solder on the back side of the instrument panel......I pulled the panel (giant PITA) and sure enough they was a crack in the place described. I dripped some new solder over the crack, reinstalled the panel and never had an issue again.

My point is, without the Dodge forum, I never would have solved that issue.

Snipercop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    SS Indianapolis
    Don't know about the Jeeps, but wondering if it could be the starter relay or not? Do you have a factory security system or aftermarket installed in it? Could it be in the shifter? I once had a Chevy that even though it was in park, the shifter was locking out the ignition because it thought it was in reverse (neutral safety switch). When my car would do that, I would push it harder into park and it would start without fail. Wondering if it threw some kind of code when this incident happened?

Top Bottom