• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mulsas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Westfield
    Good luck TaunTaun, let us know how things go. I'm late in getting to read this thread, but wanted to respond as I'm in a similar boat. I'm 41, and for me the hunting interest came from my now 12 year old son. I have zero experience, so it was a big learning curve. Started with a 22, Hunters Ed class, and some squirrel hunting. Then picked up a xbow, did youth hunts the last two years, won a Handi Rifle in 44 mag, and we were able to get out last year during bonus season. No deer yet, just a few squirrels, but he is going bonkers to get out. Luckily, we have friends who have some land that they graciously have allowed us to hunt. We will be out a couple of weekends over the next month, so hopefully he can finally bag his first.

It is definitely an expensive thing to break into, but heck, it seems like everything is expensive these days. I was able to accumulate warm weather clothing on Walmart.com for pretty cheap (personally not a walmart fan, but when buying for me and a kid who is guaranteed to grow out of everything fast, I have my price), and I have been trolling ebay recently for colder weather army surplus gear. I got a Mora knife from amazon on the recommendation from someone here. I'm sure there are better ones like the Piranta mentioned, but for literally $9 it was perfect, and I was impressed with how sharp it was out of the box. Rule of thumb on knives, no camo handles, just makes it easier to loose it when you set it down.

Anyway, that's where I'm at. Still plenty to learn, but who knew 5 years ago we would be doing this, so pretty cool.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Not a problem. Yeah, it's the price on some things that makes me hesitate, but at the same time, I don't go in for lots of gadgets and gewgaws. I got my bow out and was target shooting a bit the other day and did pretty well. 90 ft target and got the arrows within a 1 ft maximum spread. I've taken a look at the camo stuff at Wally World, and I noticed most of the Mossy Oak, etc camo is 29.95. Doesn't matter if it was a sweater, shirt, winter coat, or whatever. All the same price. Picked up an Orange hat and vest for a couple bucks in case I need to go hunting in public land. With my mismatched stuff and gear, the only things left that I require are a couple knives for cleaning, and a hunting license.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Tippecanoe County
    You may already know this, TaunTaun, but during any of the firearms eligible seasons (shotgun, muzzleloader, bonus antlerless) hunter orange is required regardless of public or private land.

This weekend is going to be a great weekend to be hunting, good luck to everyone!

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I was trying to look that up here last week. I was looking for hunter orange requirements to see if there was a % amount, or # of orange articles, etc that are needed.

Just saw a study about deer visual acuity as well. Anything in the blue wavelengths, they can see well. Anything in the red wavelengths, they have a hard time seeing. Brown/Green they can see moderately well, but have a hard time with fine definition of colors. For example, if you are wearing some brown digicamo with really fine color gradients, you will still show up as a strong blob for a deer and not have your outline broken up.

It kind of lends credence to some of that hunter orange with woods camo patterns overlayed.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I was trying to look that up here last week. I was looking for hunter orange requirements to see if there was a % amount, or # of orange articles, etc that are needed.

Just saw a study about deer visual acuity as well. Anything in the blue wavelengths, they can see well. Anything in the red wavelengths, they have a hard time seeing. Brown/Green they can see moderately well, but have a hard time with fine definition of colors. For example, if you are wearing some brown digicamo with really fine color gradients, you will still show up as a strong blob for a deer and not have your outline broken up.

It kind of lends credence to some of that hunter orange with woods camo patterns overlayed.

Probably already know it but for newbs tuning in, Indiana's hunter's orange requirement is that it be SOLID hunter orange, cannot be camo.

You could do a full camo orange suit (and not be legal). Top it (and anything else) with a solid hunter orange cap and you're good to go.

On private ground I just wear a hat. On public it's hat and a vest. Of course after many many washings my elk vest from '96 had shrank too much to fit me anymore...........................yeah that's what happened ;)

Last edited:

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Good to know about the camo/orange pattern. I was debating on getting some hunter Orange frames for my glasses...

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Do yourself a favor throw two pair of rubber gloves in your hunting pack. I started wearing gloves after I got tired of having bloody pockets when my hands got cold on the way out of the woods ect. Second pair is for when your hunt buddy calls and you take a glove off. Also quartering is the very tip of butchering the deer as you can see here Butchering Deer - How To Butcher A Deer At Home - Shootingtime.com

Edit: Grow a beard its SOP for deer season

Top Bottom