• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Well, I completed my latest Mosin Madness Experiment.
    A 91/30 with a 20 inch barrel, 11 degree crown, my own design bolt handle and scope mount, pistol grip, my own flashider, 6-24x44 scope....yeah and a weird finish on the stock. That's ok because I have an ATI stock that I can put on it, if I get tired of looking at this one.

picture.php
    picture.php
    picture.php

Last edited:

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Very innovative. Can you tell me more about your custom bolt design?

As an aside, realize that Mosins are probably the LAST milsurps that will ever be available in any real numbers. After WWII, armies all went to full auto or select fire weapons, so once the WWII surplus is gone, its done. End. No more. Ever.

Krag Jorgenson rifles were once cheap and widely available surplus.... But now, a Krag in good ORIGINAL shape will cost you $900+. Why? Because in the early 1900's it was popular to sporter'ize them... Now its hard to find one that isn't cut up.

I wouldn't dream of bashing you for modifying your Mosin - Indeed you have built a fine rifle... but know that your actions affect the future of surplus collecting and shooting, regardless of how plentiful Mosins may seem at the moment.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Yea, I really want to see a picture of this.

So many mosin projects belong in the trashcan, would be nice to see a well done one.
    I had stewed over doing a modernized mosin after growing attached to the 7.62x54R round. I just really have no idea what I would do with it. Plus the cost of doing it some what "correct" in getting an NPZ scope and mount. ($400 alone there.)
    Now that there's some "match" trigger options available, I don't see why you couldn't use the mosin as a base for a really nice modern rifle.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Bigger pictures added. Also the total cost of this was about $170.00 including the off brand scope. It was kind of a learning experience for me, some things didn't work out the way I envisioned them. I couldn't put the pistol grip any closer to the trigger guard because the receiver extends so far back. I also found that you can stain and clearcoat a Mosin stock pretty easy, but try to paint one.
    No matter how much I sanded the paint would get pin holes.

Last edited:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I like everything on your Nagant except for the grip off of the AKM. I have a 91/30 that I did not touch and an M44 that I just soaked the stock in Mineral Spirits and Acetone, then a fine sanding and rubbed in Linseed Oil until it looked pretty good. Did adding the grip to the stock improve accuracy?

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    ....yeah and a weird finish on the stock. That's ok because I have an ATI stock that I can put on it, if I get tired of looking at this one.
    Yeah, cause the stock color is the weirdest part about that rifle. :rolleyes:

:)
    I'd dig it more without the pistol grip, but too each his own. Quality looks good.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I like everything on your Nagant except for the grip off of the AKM. I have a 91/30 that I did not touch and an M44 that I just soaked the stock in Mineral Spirits and Acetone, then a fine sanding and rubbed in Linseed Oil until it looked pretty good. Did adding the grip to the stock improve accuracy?

I haven't taken it out yet, so I don't know about if it helped accuracy or not. It sure feels a lot better though.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Color wise, It started out being a rifle with a navy blue painted stock. It looked good wet, but after it dried I had pin holes and some wrinkles. So I used paint remover and it just wouldn't take the paint out of the grain of the wood, even with sanding. So primed it and tried to paint it again, with the same results.
    There was something with the wood. So it was back to the paint remover and some sanding. Then I put several coats of true oil on it and steel wooled it inbetween each coat. The pictures don't do it justice, that baby shines.
    So for now, I am going to just leave it alone, but in the future I may attack it again, with a little more determination to get the blue off.
    As far as the pistol grip, it just feel right. To be able to get a pistol grip that can be closer to the trigger guard, I figured I will have to make my own out of aluminum. I will first try a sample made out of pine, to try to get my sizes and the angle.
    As far as my scope mount, it is more like a base with a scope rail on it.
    Machining a scope rail would take hours. So I bought one for another rifle and mounted it to my base it only cost $11.00
    I wanted something a little higher than the ATI mount, I have a couple rifles using that mount.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    I like your innovative thinking. Nice initiative. :yesway:

The scope/mount is way cool. Looks great. :yesway:

The flash suppressor and bolt handle look cool too. :yesway:

The paint job is outta hand. :rockwoot:

It's definitely different, and not in a bad way in my opinion, but it looks from the pics that you didn't carry over the theme completely to the upper hand guard...or maybe my old eyes are deceiving me.

The pistol grip is an interesting add-on, but the plastic AR/AK style doesn't work for me. It looks like a last minute after-thought. It appears to me that you probably have the skills to make one out of wood and mold it into the stock and make the entire design flow.

(I really don't have room to criticize, I suppose. My skills are limited to tearing down, cleaning, refinishing, and putting it all back together as cheaply as possible with whatever materials are on hand.)

There are only about umpteen billion Mosins out there. I wouldn't worry about running out of experiment subjects for quite a while.

Like somebody else said, it's yours, so make it yours!

Good job.

_____

Question for the masses:

I'm starting the degrease/refinish on the two Mosins I recently purchased for my sons.

Will the jell-like paint remover stuff (Klean-Strip) harm the wood?

Top Bottom