• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Either excuse is good enough as far as I'm concerned.

Today must be bad dog-owner day.:ar15:

Don't get me started on bad dog-owners. I don't know what it is about having a dog that makes people think that the whole world should have to put up with the annoyances generated by their choice to keep a pet that demands more care than most people are willing to give.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    well since everyone else has already made good comments, I leave you with this:

I think Chuck Norris is the only one who could punch a man, with a gun, in the face and get away with it.

ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    +1 for the old dude. I don't care what brought on the escalation. as soon as the younger guy stepped on his lawn,and just touched the guy. reason to lay him down. if you have enough balls to walk up to someone on their own property,and take a punch at them. without the homeowner physically starting the fight. you deserve to get whatever punishment the owner dishes out. but that is just my opinion.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    well since everyone else has already made good comments, I leave you with this:

I think Chuck Norris is the only one who could punch a man, with a gun, in the face and get away with it.

I'd add to that... if the man with the gun allowed Mr. Norris to get close enough to punch him, before Mr. Norris got shot. :dunno:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    +1 for the old dude. I don't care what brought on the escalation. as soon as the younger guy stepped on his lawn,and just touched the guy. reason to lay him down. if you have enough balls to walk up to someone on their own property,and take a punch at them. without the homeowner physically starting the fight. you deserve to get whatever punishment the owner dishes out. but that is just my opinion.

I got all cocky with grandpa one day when I was 9. He gave me a piece of advice that I'll always remember; "Dont' ever pick a fight with an old man, rather than get hurt fightin' ya, he'll more than likely just shoot ya!" Good advice that is even more relevent today than it was 42 years ago.:patriot:

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    That would involve sucking up ones pride and showing some respect.. something most youth these days are certainly lacking.

More correctly they demand to be respected without earning it, and never give respect to anyone outside their "posse".

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Originally Posted by MACHINEGUN
    That would involve sucking up ones pride and showing some respect.. something most youth these days are certainly lacking.
    More correctly they demand to be respected without earning it, and never give respect to anyone outside their "posse".

There is hope however.... and there are exceptions...... a young lady whose nickname is Fred, is one of the most respectful young folks I've had the pleasure to know. I've tried to get her to call me by my first name, but she ain't havin' it, and I'm not real comfortable with Mr..... I complain about it, and she nods her head, and says ok Mr. _____. I know she'll see this, so have a Happy New Year, Fred...... I'm glad Santa was good to ya..... ;)

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    There is hope however.... and there are exceptions...... a young lady whose nickname is Fred, is one of the most respectful young folks I've had the pleasure to know. I've tried to get her to call me by my first name, but she ain't havin' it, and I'm not real comfortable with Mr..... I complain about it, and she nods her head, and says ok Mr. _____. I know she'll see this, so have a Happy New Year, Fred...... I'm glad Santa was good to ya..... ;)

That's half of what the world is missing...my boys misbehave, I then become "sir." My dad never expected it, but I remember having to treat my grandfather the same.

I really don't look forward to the day when my generation begins to fill the political ranks, so much disrespect, so much disregard. I always make it a point to use ma'am and sir, hold the doors, give the right of way. If there's one thing my boys will do, it's to have some respect. Elders are elders, and they've earned more than the rest of us...

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    thats what you get for punching a 69 year old man on his own property.

The article doesn't say that. Based on the gaps in the article and the letters, I don't think the 23 year old guy was on the 69 year old's property when he punched him.

Looks like the incident started with the dog peeing on the old man's lawn, the old man objecting to the rude behavior, the young guy cursing, the old guy following the young guy out to the street/sidewalk, more cursing by the young guy, old guy displays gun, puts the gun in his pocket, the young guy punches the old guy, then the old guys shoots and kills the young guy. Hence the conviction for second degree murder.

As far as the old man knowing right from wrong, I wonder if he'd say he did right or wrong that day. We discuss scenarios like that all the time on these boards, and about how not to escalate situations.

The story seems to be a classic "How to escalate a situation to the point where you had no choice but to shoot someone, when it could have been avoided"

I'm not going to second guess the judge's sentence of no jail time and 4 years probation. I can understand how the court could conclude that justice would not be served by putting the old man in jail.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    The article doesn't say that. Based on the gaps in the article and the letters, I don't think the 23 year old guy was on the 69 year old's property when he punched him.

Looks like the incident started with the dog peeing on the old man's lawn, the old man objecting to the rude behavior, the young guy cursing, the old guy following the young guy out to the street/sidewalk, more cursing by the young guy, old guy displays gun, puts the gun in his pocket, the young guy punches the old guy, then the old guys shoots and kills the young guy. Hence the conviction for second degree murder.

As far as the old man knowing right from wrong, I wonder if he'd say he did right or wrong that day. We discuss scenarios like that all the time on these boards, and about how not to escalate situations.

The story seems to be a classic "How to escalate a situation to the point where you had no choice but to shoot someone, when it could have been avoided"

I'm not going to second guess the judge's sentence of no jail time and 4 years probation. I can understand how the court could conclude that justice would not be served by putting the old man in jail.

If some punkass 23 year old punches me in the face when I'm 69 I'll punch his ticket if for no other reason than to let his remaining friends know that you don't put your hands on old people. I can't imagine any scenerio where my response would be anything other than I'm very sorry sir.

Top Bottom