• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    This is a letter I am sending to fox daniels, and will be sending to all Indiana politicians

. Dear Gov. Daniels,

My name is Daniel, I am contacting you today regarding my gun rights as an Indiana resident and an American citizen. Given the recent tragedy in Connecticut America is grieving, but we can not let this terrible incident strip us of our rights. There is a lot of talk of an "assault weapons ban". I would like to explain first what an assault weapon is, this definition is from the military, the very first to even use the word "assault weapon".

"Assault rifles are short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachinegun and rifle cartridges."

"Assault rifles have mild recoil characteristics and, because of this, are capable of delivering effective full-automatic fire at ranges up to 300 meters."

That was from the military, you can see the actual military document here: GunFax.com - the unofficial Calico fan site and Rockin' Rimfires

As you can see an AR-15 type weapon is not an assault rifle. Now that's cleared up, I completely understand why people are pushing for a ban on semi automatic rifles (I will not call them assault rifles because the simply are not) I truly do, but they are looking at the problem all wrong. The problem is not the guns, the problem is the people that wish to do harm to others.

Even if we were to ban semi automatic rifles that would not stop a crazy person from doing the crazy things they are dead set on doing. They will only find another means of doing what they are set on doing, for example, making bombs, using knives, lighting fires, etc. We can not prevent these psychos from doing psychotic things bit we CAN stop them in the act. How do you stop a crazy person from harming others? Force, realistically that is the only way. Trust me I wish we lived in a perfect world but we simply do not. Now knowing that force is how to stop a crazy person, we have to decide how and who will implement this force.

Well firstly I can say as an Indiana resident who is legally armed citizen that I would do anything in my power to protect my family myself and anyone near enough to protect in the event that it was necessary. Now we know that schools are being targeted by psychos that wish to do harm, why are schools targeted? Schools are targeted because they are filled with children who are defenseless, crazy people prey on the weak.

What has been brought up since the recent tragedy is that we should have either police or armed guards at all of our schools full time. It sounds good, it really does. The only problem I see with that is the finances the taxpayers are going to have to come up with to find that. Personally I'm ok with being taxed more to protect our children, but what if there is a better way, a simpler way, a cheaper way.

Here in Indiana our Indiana code already allows legally armed people to be in schools, but ONLY if the school allows it. Currently I do not know of any schools that allow carrying on their property. What if we urged our schools to allow legally armed teachers and/or legally armed citizens on their property. Or even changed the Indiana code to state that schools don't have to grant permission, and that anyone with an Indiana license to carry a handgun is permitted to be on school property (obviously only if they have business being there) that would open up another option.

We already entrust our teachers to watch over our children for give or take eight hours a day five days a week, why can't we trust them with a natural born god given right, the right to defend. And realistically we already expect them to protect our children for certain things, I mean if something happened to our children, and it was due to such a major thing like the recent tragedy we would be going after the school for some answers.

So why can't we trust our legally armed teachers to carry and defend our children? Other countries such as Isreal do, and it they have far less casualties due to school shootings, in the past ten years they have has eight deaths from a school shooting, America has had almost four hundred. If we trust our teachers to educate our children how can we not trust them with their own rights? And if we cannot trust them with their own rights we need to reconsider if they should be in our schools.

We should offer free training to teachers, I know of numerous places that would offer fee or cheap training to teachers. I write this to you in hopes that you would consider aiding the people in this time of need. More gun regulation is not the answer, you can not prevent crazy, you can only stop it while its happening.

Thank you for your time, I understand to people uneducated on firearms, or people who have not been around them, that the firearms would seem like the problem. If you have any firearm related questions I would gladly be as much help as I could to assist you, or point you in the right direction. Thank you.

--Daniel

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If he doesn't already know, he probably don't care.
    My letter, boiled down is... I am watching this issue, which is VERY important to me. A vote against the Bill of Rights is a vote later against you in the polls.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well, maybe it will help those starched-collars in West Lafayette get permission to carry on campus.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    If he doesn't already know, he probably don't care.
    My letter, boiled down is... I am watching this issue, which is VERY important to me. A vote against the Bill of Rights is a vote later against you in the polls.

So you know Governors don't vote on anything, right?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So you know Governors don't vote on anything, right?

He signs a bill into law.
    His signature is a vote. I don't have to call a rose, a rose. It is so regardless.
    If he vetos, it is a vote against (if it gets that high).
    If he signs, it is a vote for.
    Because his has a different weight, and happens at a different time, does not change what the act is.

Dansgotguns. Didn't mean to be a buzzkill.
    But, most letters are read by interns, or paid staff. They accumulate data to pass on to the boss. And send back a form letter.
    If you have a really nice letter, they may forward it to "the Man".
    But, if you have a long letter or arguement, you must plainly state what you are trying to accomplish in the first and last paragraphs.

But, writing the letter gets you a +100 in my book anyway. Too many people wringing hands, and not much else.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    His signature is a vote. I don't have to call a rose, a rose. It is so regardless.
    Because his has a different weight, and happens at a different time, does not change what the act is.

But, most letters are read by interns, or paid staff. They accumulate data to pass on to the boss. And send back a form letter.
    But, if you have a long letter or arguement, you must plainly state what you are trying to accomplish in the first and last paragraphs.

But, writing the letter gets you a +100 in my book anyway. Too many people wringing hands, and not much else.

Your not being a buzzkill hence the purple :- ). I know the letter is pointless I just felt like I have to do something, I feel helpless as a gunowner right now. I just want to help the cause in someway.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage

Your not being a buzzkill hence the purple :- ). I know the letter is pointless I just felt like I have to do something, I feel helpless as a gunowner right now. I just want to help the cause in someway.

Top Bottom