• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dlbrown75

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    9   1   1
    May 2, 2011
    Newcastle, IN
    Here is the copy of one of my letters to my rep.
    Message Subject: 2nd amendment in th Bill of Rights
    Message Text:
    Hello Congratulations on your new position as the public servant for the 6th district in the US House of Representatives. I am contacting you today regarding the 2nd Amendment to the Bill of Rights. With Obama's gun control agenda it is important that you are reminded of your oath to uphold and serve the COTUS. I am sure you are very familiar with the Bill of Rights but as a reminder IT simply states the Peoples' right to keep and bear arms will not be infringed. I will not accept any new restrictions on my right to do just that. This includes but is not limited to any type of gun ban, magazine capacity restrictions, registration of any firearms, or restrictions of private sells. Logical people see that gun laws only affect law-abiding citizens and not the people who wish to do others harm. I sent you to washington with the hope that you would be my voice and I expect you to be just that. This administration is becoming tyrannical and needs to be be put in check. That is the responsibility of the House of Representatives. Mr. Obama's use of executive orders to circumvent the Constitution of the United States must be put to an end. As i am sure you are aware, these unconstitutional executive orders are a big step toward a dictatorship. Thank you for your time and may GOD bless you and guide you. Regards,

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I would generally avoid using radical words like "dictatorship" when writing a letter to a government official. It makes you seem a little....Extreme? They are going to see that part of your letter and disregard it as you being a little crazy.

You could make the same point by requesting he call upon the White House to stop issuing Executive Orders and to work with Congress to pass any new laws or regulations.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    I am not in Indiana (yet) but I got a response from my representative, John Yarmuth, Louisville KY 3rd district after I contacted his office telling him I was opposed to any new gun control legislation.
    "
    Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about additional gun control measures in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass shooting. I appreciate hearing from you on this important matter, but respectfully disagree.

As I have stated, I agree that Americans have the right to defend themselves and their property. I believe even more fiercely that I have the right, and every child has the right, to be safe from guns without carrying a gun. That gun, by the way, is statistically far more likely to result in the injury or death of someone close to me or them, than someone bent on doing harm. Moving forward from the terrible tragedy in Newtown, CT, we must have a discussion on where we draw the line between keeping our citizens as safe as possible and protecting the right to bear arms. Currently, I believe that line is not drawn enough toward guaranteeing the safety of our citizens.

While we do not see eye-to-eye on this issue, I would welcome your advice and input as the debate on this topic evolves in the upcoming weeks and months. Thank you again for sharing your views. If you would like to learn more about my work in Washington and in Louisville, please visit my website at Congressman John Yarmuth : Home where you will find the latest news, my weekly schedule, video from hearings, and information about constituent services. You can sign up for my e-newsletter to receive periodic updates on important issues and services for your family. You can also follow me on Facebook and Twitter (@RepJohnYarmuth)."

Top Bottom