My Lord, now they are planning to steal timber...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Long rant,..I am at my wits end.

A buddy and I lease a farm to hunt on. The farm is about 58 acres in size and is a tree farm. The owner bought the property in 1963 and has planted over 4000 trees on its since. Mostly walnut and oak. You can image that in the last 60 years that the walnut have gotten pretty large. There is some serious marketable timber on the property. The owner is 92 and does not live on the property. He has no intent of doing a timber sale. There is a small pole barn and an old house that basically needs torn down. They are about a quarter mile off the road back a long farm lane. You cannot see either from the road. I mow and maintain the property for him and enjoy doing it. It’s nice to have somewhere to not only hunt, but to just go mess around and do outdoor chores.

We initially had some trouble with the neighbors trespassing. We got that taken care of and the trespassing seemed to stop. To our delight, all of the neighbors got hauled off to jail last summer. This past hunting season was great. We had no issues while they were all on their government sponsored vacation. Apparently, some of them are back now.

Since they have returned, the barn has been broken into 3 times, the old house has been broken into twice. There is nothing to steal in either, though I imagine that they are eyeing the old Ford 8N tractor in the barn and scheming on how to steal that.

Friday afternoon I ran out to check on things and found that they (I don’t really have proof it is them, purely supposition) have broken into the barn and old house again. Not having any tools with me, I ran back out again on Saturday to fix the translucent panel they ripped off the side of the barn so they could climb in and screwed the back door shut on the old house yet again.

As I was driving out the lane to head home I noticed a log off the side of the lane that had been cut. I got out of my truck and realize it’s a tree that had been down across the lane. I called the property owner and asked if he had been out. We said no, which I suspected as he had not been to the property in close to a year due to health issues. Someone apparently had walked in (the gate was locked) and cut it out of the lane. Seems odd to just trespass on some guy’s property and cut up a tree blocking his farm lane. As I am talking to him, I notice a freshly cut 14”-16” walnut tree laying not 20’ off of the lane. I asked if he had given anyone permission to cut walnut trees and he indicated that he had not, with a few expletives thrown in. I knew that was going to be his response.

This is all starting to make sense now. Seems like the plan is to cut the lock and chain off of the gate, drive down the lane to a walnut log that could be cut in shorter lengths and picked up by 5-6 guys and loaded in the back of a truck. The 24”-36” walnuts that they would have to drive past to get to the one they cut were untouched.

I called the sheriff and filed a report, but I do not think there is much of a chance that they get caught unless I happen to roll up on them when they are doing it. No one is going to stake-out the property waiting for them to come steal a walnut log. I think my only option is to buy several cellular cameras and put one at the gate and one at the house and then call the sheriff when they are set off. So I get to spend more money on cameras and a subscription service to maybe catch some methheads stealing logs and probably the old tractor.

Attachments

• Stump.jpg
      Stump.jpg
      170.2 KB · Views: 34
    • Tree.jpg
      Tree.jpg
      176.1 KB · Views: 34
    Last edited:

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    Long rant,..I am at my wits end.

A buddy and I lease a farm to hunt on. The farm is about 58 acres in size and is a tree farm. The owner bought the property in 1963 and has planted over 4000 trees on its since. Mostly walnut and oak. You can image that in the last 60 years that the walnut have gotten pretty large. There is some serious marketable timber on the property. The owner is 92 and does not live in the property. He has no intent of doing a timber sale. There is a small pole barn and an old house that basically needs torn down. They are about a quarter mile off the road back a long farm lane. You cannot see either from the road. I mow and maintain the property for him and enjoy doing it. It’s nice to have somewhere to not only hunt, but to just go mess around and do outdoor chores.

We initially had some trouble with the neighbors trespassing. We got that taken care of and the trespassing seemed to stop. To our delight, all of the neighbors got hauled off to jail last summer. This past hunting season was great. We had no issues while they were all on their government sponsored vacation. Apparently, some of them are back now.

Since they have returned, the barn has been broken into 3 times, the old house has been broken into twice. There is nothing to steal in either, though I imagine that they are eyeing the old Ford 8N tractor in the barn and scheming on how to steal that.

Friday afternoon I ran out to check on things and found that they (I don’t really have proof it is them, purely supposition) have broken into the barn and old house again. Not having any tools with me, I ran back out again on Saturday to fix the translucent panel they ripped off the side of the barn so they could climb in and screwed the back door shut on the old house yet again.

As I was driving out the lane to head home I noticed a log off the side of the lane that had been cut. I got out of my truck and realize it’s a tree that had been down across the lane. I called the property owner and asked if he had been out. We said no, which I suspected as he had not been to the property in close to a year due to health issues. Someone apparently had walked in (the gate was locked) and cut it out of the lane. Seems odd to just trespass on some guy’s property and cut up a tree blocking his farm lane. As I am talking to him, I notice a freshly cut 14”-16” walnut tree laying not 20’ off of the lane. I asked if he had given anyone permission to cut walnut trees and he indicated that he had not, with a few expletives thrown in. I knew that was going to be his response.

This is all starting to make sense now. Seems like the plan is to cut the lock and chain off of the gate, drive down the lane to a walnut log that could be cut in shorter lengths and picked up by 5-6 guys and loaded in the back of a truck. The 24”-36” walnuts that they would have to drive past to get to the one they cut were untouched.

I called the sheriff and filed a report, but I do not think there is much of a chance that they get caught unless I happen to roll up on them when they are doing it. No one is going to stake-out the property waiting for them to come steal a walnut log. I think my only option is to buy a several cellular cameras and put one at the gate and one at the house and then call the sheriff when they are set off. So I get to spend more money on cameras and a subscription service to maybe catch some methheads stealing logs and probably the old tractor.
    If the owner has given you use of the property,it would be cheap insurance to buy cell cameras to protect your use!

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At my Hermitage
    If the owner has given you use of the property,it would be cheap insurance to buy cell cameras to protect your use!
    IANAL- You may want to check into what your current 'permission' allows. Hunting permission doesn't necessarily mean you have permissions to manage the property and/or control who has access outside of yourselves. My point is a bit of research could save you some headaches. Maybe consider spending a few $ with an Atty to draft an agreement with the owner. It would always help down the road if it gets messy. More 'permission' is always better than less. Again- IANAL. This is just from experience from trying to run off some local yahoos from a next door property. Also, there is another thread here on :ingo: about stealing timber. Cant stand trespassers and thieves. Good luck. :thumbsup:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    IANAL- You may want to check into what your current 'permission' allows. Hunting permission doesn't necessarily mean you have permissions to manage the property and/or control who has access outside of yourselves. My point is a bit of research could save you some headaches. Maybe consider spending a few $ with an Atty to draft an agreement with the owner. It would always help down the road if it gets messy. More 'permission' is always better than less. Again- IANAL. This is just from experience from trying to run off some local yahoos from a next door property. Cant stand trespassers and thieves. Good luck. :thumbsup:
    Sounded like the OP has an agreement with the owner to in fact manage the property in return for permission to hunt it. He said he already maintains it for the owner.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    When I used to work in state parks in Ohio I heard that in some places walnut rustlers would go into public property (including state parks) select their trees, cut them off, and actually fly them out with freakin' helicopters! Nice straight trees, no worries about old nails to wreck the veneer blade.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Trail cams are not expensive, you can hide’em. Card keeps pics for evidence n identification. I hate low lifes, specially ones that would do harm to older folk.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    A walnut tree farm, where the owners doesn't mind lead flying around (by leasing it for hunting)?
    Will veneer blades slice through bullets without damage?

Once word gets out about what's on the old man's land and how unattended it is, good luck trying to catch and/or keep the riff-raff out.
    The old guy may as well get some cash out of the place and have it logged. That would suck for hunting.
    But unless you're willing to live there or spend a chunk of change trying to monitor 58 acres, it may be time to move on.
    IF you're going to try and monitor the area, make sure you can get clear photos of the people and vehicle tags.
    Without that information you may end up more frustrated with law enforcement than the criminals themselves.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I mange as in mow the property, cut trees that have blown down in storms to maintain access to the tree plantation areas and lanes, fix pipe outlets, etc.....for him. I also pay a yearly lease fee for the excluisve rights to hunt. I could ignore the maintenance and just hunt, but I choose not too. I maintain the property because he can no longer physically do it and it is a way for me to give back. We have a formal legal lease agreement. The property owner was a former farm manager for Halderman and understands hunting leases, farming and walnut tree production. Walnut trees are his gig. We have a great relationship. He appreciates everything that we do for him and that we care for the property as if it were our own.

We have trail cameras all over the property but none are cellular, hence we do not know until a few week have passed. All trespassing to date has been by the neighbor. Before it was just walking across the property occasionally. Now it's breaking into the barn and apparently getting ready to steal timber.

Dirty Steve

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I would put the tree back and drive barn spikes in it and when the take in .. whoever processes it will go back on them or if they’re doing it themselves that will wreck whatever sawblade they are using.. plus the pit uh vehicle identification device you use;)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I would put the tree back and drive barn spikes in it and when the take in .. whoever processes it will go back on them or if they’re doing it themselves that will wreck whatever sawblade they are using.. plus the pit uh vehicle identification device you use;)
    I like this idea. No law says you cant drive spikes in "your" own trees.

This is kinda like the sabotaged ammo crates we would leave behind in various wars. We wouldnt use it, but when the enemy would pick it up they'd randomly blow up rifles with overcharged rounds.

Or signs around the property. "We have spiked certain random trees. We know which ones they are, you do not. Do you feel lucky?"

Top Bottom