• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I believe he used Rugers thought, with the popular MK 22 lr pistol series.
    That angle was the reason they came out with the 22-45 series.
    Yes...I did forget to include the Ruger MK Series on that list! Thanks for reminding me!
    I'm not sure who's pistol the Glock grip angle was designed after, but that was predominantly a European thing in the early 1980's.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yes...I did forget to include the Ruger MK Series on that list! Thanks for reminding me!
    I'm not sure who's pistol the Glock grip angle was designed after, but that was predominantly a European thing in the early 1980's.
    Ruger MK1 was brought to the public in 1949.
    I sorta was making a joke, but they have been around a long time.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Think the Ruger "Standard" auto was first then came the target "Mark 1" version.

I like the old Ruger grip, its different but no big deal.
    But then I change the MS housing on 1911's to arched and like those just fine.
    Get along w High Powers and HK P30/VP9 also.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    You know, I've held those and they are very comfortable. Same with a bring-back Luger that my dad owns. This got me to thinking. Maybe it's not just the angle.

And then I just found this, which is the first thing I've seen that explains to me why Glocks just feel horrible in my hand. It's not necessarily the grip angle, per se. It's the combination of grip angle and high beavertail with a trigger that is set too low in the frame, causing the unnatural feel. This is compounded by the bulky, blocky grip caused by the unnecessary use of thick polymer coated magazines.

Ruger.PNG
    GripAngle.png

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    You know, I've held those and they are very comfortable. Same with a bring-back Luger that my dad owns. This got me to thinking. Maybe it's not just the angle.

And then I just found this, which is the first thing I've seen that explains to me why Glocks just feel horrible in my hand. It's not necessarily the grip angle, per se. It's the combination of grip angle and high beavertail with a trigger that is set too low in the frame, causing the unnatural feel. This is compounded by the bulky, blocky grip caused by the unnecessary use of thick polymer coated magazines. View attachment 348410
    What helps is to change the way one grips a pistol, I tend to do the old weaver. Both of my sons, always push me to the much newer thumb on top of thumb with both pointing at the target. Using that those F'ed up angle pistols I shoot on occasion tend to shoot much more point of aim for my sons and myself.
    I'm not admitting that I can now shoot a glock Mark 2 better, but I can with that grip.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    What helps is to change the way one grips a pistol, I tend to do the old weaver. Both of my sons, always push me to the much newer thumb on top of thumb with both pointing at the target. Using that those F'ed up angle pistols I shoot on occasion tend to shoot much more point of aim for my sons and myself.
    I'm not admitting that I can now shoot a glock Mark 2 better, but I can with that grip.
    I've always used the thumbs-forward grip with any semiauto. It does mitigate some of the awkwardness with Gaston's shooting appliance, but still doesn't beat natural pointability.

1713806615144.png

Doesn't do anything for the famed "Glock knuckle" that most people experience with extended shooting of Glocks, though.
    Ever hear of M&P knuckle?

Exactly. :):

Top Bottom