• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Staying at the parent's for the weekend and they've been wanting me to clean my mom's two handguns and see how they fire for awhile now......well they got the closet declutterized and found them both. One's a Taurus PT-22 that has never been fired and the other is a Jennings (by Bryco) Model 48 .380 that hasn't been fired for like 10 years and I think it was very little at that. I'm actually kind of excited for tomorrow. I get to shoot 3 guns (one of them is mine) that I've never shot before and 2 of them have NEVER been fired. Haven't heard much good about my mom's guns, but it'll still be fun :)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have owned a PT-22 for a long time. It is the only Taurus that I have owned that has never malf'd in over 500 rounds. I like it. A lot. It fits in the overhead of my Suburban and is always there.

I also have the Jennings 380. It is shiny chrome. I have been holding it for the owner since around 1997. I cannot say the same about it that I can say about the PT-22. I don't think I would want to shoot it very much.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Have fun, but check those 10 year old guns over very carefully before loading them and pulling the trigger.

Yeah, I plan on taking a long time to clean and check them out. Much, much more time than my own guns. I'm no expert and if there's anything that doesn't look right they're not getting fired until an actual gunsmith takes a look at them and says they're safe.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Be careful with cheap guns like Jennings. Inspect carefully, clean, and function test before ever loading. You might want to just sell it instead of shooting it, and take the $50.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    What can actually go wrong? This is in no way meant to be funny; I'm genuinely interested in knowing what can happen so I can prevent it from happening for myself or anyone else I can tell. Thanks!

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    What can actually go wrong? This is in no way meant to be funny; I'm genuinely interested in knowing what can happen so I can prevent it from happening for myself or anyone else I can tell. Thanks!

GOOGLE JENNINGS/BRYCO. That in itself will answer the question to you. I would never shoot one.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Neither one will blow up in your hand. Use factory ammo and the worst possible problem is feeding or ejection.

Sheeshh, all these doom and gloomers on the internet....:)

seadoodr.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    martinsville
    I've owned a jennings9 for over ten years. Put several hundred rounds through it.It really is a terrible gun, has a lousy trigger and until recently you never knew if it go off till you pulled the trigger. Apparently if the right grip upper screw is snugged down to tight it messes with the trigger mechanism.for the first time ever i ran 4 mags through it and had no problems. I actually hit the target with it.:):

JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    I've got one of those Jenning Model 48s that I found in the attic. I've read too many horror stories about it to want to shoot it...really think its good for $50 or $60? I'd take that in a heartbeat...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've seen at least a dozen Bryco/Jennings slides that have cracked/ blown-apart.

Shoot the Taurus, use the Jennings for a door-stop, or throw it at an intruder to distract them while you grab the Taurus.

You could not pay me to pull the trigger on that Jennings

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Take the Jennings to one of those feel good "get the guns off the street" events and get a $100 gift card. Gift card to Wal Mart for about 3K rounds of 22's to enjoy in the Taurus.
    BTW Take the mag out first, sell it for $4 at a gunshow.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Well here's what happened...Didn't shoot the Jennings. It didn't inspire confidence in me that it would actually work right or safely. The Taurus on the other hand done better than I thought it would for being a virgin shoot and sitting around for a decade. Had issues on almost every round with the Remington Yellow Jacket ammo that was stored with it so I switched out to my Winchester bulk box from Wal-Mart. Only ran about 70 rounds through it, but it was hit or miss with every round whether it would fire or not. Some rounds went off with the first squeeze and others would only go off after the second or third....My take on both of them is that the Jennings is a piece of crap and the Taurus is good enough to go plinking if you don't mind fixing malfunctions all day long. I think I'll just stick to my Glock and take the mom out to a gun store to help her decide on something different.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    Well here's what happened...Didn't shoot the Jennings. It didn't inspire confidence in me that it would actually work right or safely. The Taurus on the other hand done better than I thought it would for being a virgin shoot and sitting around for a decade. Had issues on almost every round with the Remington Yellow Jacket ammo that was stored with it so I switched out to my Winchester bulk box from Wal-Mart. Only ran about 70 rounds through it, but it was hit or miss with every round whether it would fire or not. Some rounds went off with the first squeeze and others would only go off after the second or third....My take on both of them is that the Jennings is a piece of crap and the Taurus is good enough to go plinking if you don't mind fixing malfunctions all day long. I think I'll just stick to my Glock and take the mom out to a gun store to help her decide on something different.

Thanks for letting us know how it went! :ingo:

Top Bottom