• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hidesert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    My 62 year old mom, a painted lady with the rings and the fingernails. She had never fired a gun or really shown any interest. She and my Dad put up with my gun crazy teen years at the house, reloading room and everything.

So I am 39 now and Mom calls me up all happy. She went with a group of women and got to shoot for the first time. A ruger MKII. She was so happy with herself and says, "Now I understand what you have been talking about all of these years."

My Mom sure is a cool chic. Proud of her. I would have never thought.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    My 62 year old mom, a painted lady with the rings and the fingernails. She had never fired a gun or really shown any interest. She and my Dad put up with my gun crazy teen years at the house, reloading room and everything.

So I am 39 now and Mom calls me up all happy. She went with a group of women and got to shoot for the first time. A ruger MKII. She was so happy with herself and says, "Now I understand what you have been talking about all of these years."

My Mom sure is a cool chic. Proud of her. I would have never thought.

Cool story, but what's a "painted lady with the rings and the fingernails."?

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    I'm close to mom's age and I have never heard "painted lady" used as a term of endearment, but rather a derogatory term. :dunno: I do realize I am old and a lot of words have changed meanings. Anyway, go mom go!

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    My wife shot for the first time in many years a month ago. We have since bought her 2 handguns and am looking into getting a reloader to help with the cost of shooting every week.
    She has turned into an animal and I love it!!!!

hidesert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Good deal! Now, GET OUT THERE AND TAKE YOUR MOM SHOOTING!

Mom lives in California. I used to work at the range in that town many years ago. I get out there twice a year, but we usually do not have time to shoot. They are great people. I am the families "Gun Sink". All of the family guns come to me. In the last 4 years I have gotten a Rem Mod 11, M1 carb, Ar-15, Colt Python, Springfield .22, and a K-17.22 revolver.

Not bad eh?

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    My wife shot for the first time in many years a month ago. We have since bought her 2 handguns and am looking into getting a reloader to help with the cost of shooting every week.
    She has turned into an animal and I love it!!!!

Sorry for the de-rail, I wish I could shoot with my Mom for sure!!!

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Cool story, but what's a "painted lady with the rings and the fingernails."?
    I believe the term came from a description of fallen women in the old west, who would wear lots of makeup and jewelry. I hear the term still used by country folks, mostly, to mean just that...a makeup and jewelry bedecked (usually older) woman, who all the other women hate (probably out of jealousy).;)

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    I believe the term came from a description of fallen women in the old west, who would wear lots of makeup and jewelry. I hear the term still used by country folks, mostly, to mean just that...a makeup and jewelry bedecked (usually older) woman, who all the other women hate (probably out of jealousy).;)

Are those country folks also talking about a "fallen woman" when they call them a "painted lady?" So, what is a "fallen woman?" :popcorn: I am sure this description does not apply to the OP's mom, or any other INGO members' moms!

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Are those country folks also talking about a "fallen woman" when they call them a "painted lady?" So, what is a "fallen woman?" :popcorn: I am sure this description does not apply to the OP's mom, or any other INGO members' moms!
    The "fallen woman" part that referred to prostitutes, doesn't seem to apply to the "painted lady" reference anymore. Now, it's mostly a reference to the make up and the ostentatious style of dress that makes other women a bit jealous, and makes men look. Just a quick look at the history of the expression was my intention, not casting any aspersions on anyone. And since the OPs mom seems to be arming herself, it wouldn't be wise to do that anyway!

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    I'm close to mom's age and I have never heard "painted lady" used as a term of endearment, but rather a derogatory term. :dunno: I do realize I am old and a lot of words have changed meanings. Anyway, go mom go!
    First ,WAY TO GO FOR MOM ! and times they do change as do the meaning of word's /terms . The Flintstones use to have a GAY old time , now Fred an Barney would be wearing men thongs and bumppin uglies for a GAY old time .It's a wierd new world .:n00b:

rhinoabe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Jennings Co.
    My mom turned seventy Saturday and packs a S&W686 when ever she leaves the house. She wouldn't when any competitions, but I always let her know it's me walking in her house.

Top Bottom