My neck knife: looking for a different chain.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    Valid point, but consider this...the risk of strangulation (or worse) can come from a source other than a person.

For example, if you hike, boat, fish, etc. with your neck knife you could slip and fall and catch the cord on a stationary object (e.g. tree/root, boat, etc.). Even a car accident could potentially get your neck knife caught up in something. My point is, your neck won't win the battle if you've got 550 cord tied securely around it.

Unfortunately the same could be said for necklaces, neck ties, jackets, shirts and anything else that fits snugly around the neck. It comes down to caution and common sense. If doing something that could result in snagging of the rope it only makes sense to remove it. This is why most machinists are not allowed to wear anything that could potentially get caught in a machine. If the concern is that great I would recommend avoiding a neck knife altogether rather than using some kind of break-away that could foil deployment of the knife under stress. We have all seen and heard of all kinds of crazy accidents with firearms as well as knives but in most cases it was operator error and plain negligence. I am simply pointing out that I have yet to hear of any kind of accident with a neck knife... Not that it's impossible but just improbable.

As a side note- I once watched a woman get her t-shirt snagged in a machine that rolls projection-screen fabric. She frantically tried to rip her shirt free and when that didn't work she luckily had just enough time to hit the emergency stop on the machine. I am sure it was scary for her but she didn't stop wearing t-shirts after that but I am confident she was more cautious about what she did and how she did it, especially while working on that machine.

Steve

Last edited:

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Unfortunately the same could be said for necklaces, neck ties, jackets, shirts and anything else that fits snugly around the neck. It comes down to caution and common sense. If doing something that could result in snagging of the rope it only makes sense to remove it. This is why most machinists are not allowed to wear anything that could potentially get caught in a machine. If the concern is that great I would recommend avoiding a neck knife altogether rather than using some kind of break-away that could foil deployment of the knife under stress. We have all seen and heard of all kinds of crazy accidents with firearms as well as knives but in most cases it was operator error and plain negligence. I am simply pointing out that I have yet to hear of any kind of accident with a neck knife... Not that it's impossible but just improbable.

As a side note- I once watched a woman get her t-shirt snagged in a machine that rolls projection-screen fabric. She frantically tried to rip her shirt free and when that didn't work she luckily had just enough time to hit the emergency stop on the machine. I am sure it was scary for her but she didn't stop wearing t-shirts after that but I am confident she was more cautious about what she did and how she did it, especially while working on that machine.

Steve

Yes, rotational hazards are extra dangerous for sure. Even long hair can become an issue when exposed to a rotating shaft. That's why there are such strict rules (e.g. OSHA standard 29 CFR 1910.219), with respect to rotating shafts in industrial settings. I completely agree, that if you're exposed to rotating hazards you really need to take extra precautions (no gloves, no loose clothing, no long hair, etc).

As it relates to non-rotating hazards that you might experience in nature, combat, sports, everyday living, etc....I think a break-away lanyard of some sort makes good sense for a neck knife. It's easy to do it in a way that is durable, yet has significantly less tensile strength than a continuous section of 550 paracord. The #3 stainless ball chain I use, for example, has an average tensile strength of 25lbs. This falls right in line with military requirements.

Here's a link to some info on how the military specifies the chains they use for dog tags. Notice they require a minimum of 15lbs and maximum of 32lbs tensile strength. There are good reasons for this.
    Dog Tag Dog Tags chains necklaces holders chain

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The lanyard barrel connectors are working nicely. They're plenty strong to avoid losing stuff unless you give the cord a sharp tug. I'm using lanyards I made for both neck knives and other gear as well as my ID at work.

As the others mentioned, a person trying to choke you is not the only concern. In my opinion, it's probably the least concern. Getting your knife or the cord/chain caught on something else can result in serious injury. I've broken a ball chains that fortunately saved me from being hurt when they got caught on something. As an aside, TOPS won't replace a neck chain that you break unless you pay them. :)

This week I snagged some breakaway lanyard "barrel connectors." They work pretty well. They're plenty strong to hold what you need to hold, but they pop open when you give it a good tug.

71JhpHkr5lL._SL1500_.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Some other options:

[video=youtube;Os_EOrcaXSQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os_EOrcaXSQ[/video]

[video=youtube;G1Xwk3xaJFQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Xwk3xaJFQ[/video]

[video=youtube;864FSx_cTYQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=864FSx_cTYQ[/video]

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've witnessed a fellow have his thick gold chain used as a come-a-long in a fight, and eventually be thrown by it. Solid chain with no clasp.

I can't think of any advantage to not having a break away, even if odds are low it will matter.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Which Benchmade model is that, kind sir?

I just tried the knot on the lanyard for my ESEE 3. I like it!

Benchmade Hidden Canyon Hunter. Neat little blade so far, but couldn't get it to work for me on the belt. Ended up taking the belt sheath off of the kydex. Working it as my primary home blade as a neck knife.

Turned out to be good, as there is a bit of a learning curve wearing the neck blade as EDC (I'm still in the curve.) I've worn necks knives for spurts here and there, but not daily.

I used 275 cord for the lanyard. So far so good.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've witnessed a fellow have his thick gold chain used as a come-a-long in a fight, and eventually be thrown by it. Solid chain with no clasp.

I can't think of any advantage to not having a break away, even if odds are low it will matter.

Potential consequences weight heavier in this risk assessment than the probability of it happening.

Having a a breakaway lanyard of some kind is such a simple thing. I don't see a downside.

Benchmade Hidden Canyon Hunter. Neat little blade so far, but couldn't get it to work for me on the belt. Ended up taking the belt sheath off of the kydex. Working it as my primary home blade as a neck knife.

Turned out to be good, as there is a bit of a learning curve wearing the neck blade as EDC (I'm still in the curve.) I've worn necks knives for spurts here and there, but not daily.

I used 275 cord for the lanyard. So far so good.

I'm suffering through another knife moratorium, but that thing is sweet.

I've been wearing a Mora around the house for a while, but lately it's a Bark River Mini Kephart. Out and about, it's either a TOPS Tibo or an ESEE 3.

Top Bottom