My New Charter Arms Off Duty .38 Special Revolver.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The contrasting colors definitely serve to accentuate the giant tolerances between the parts and poor grip fitment lol.

I got to handle an old-school Charter Arms .38 this week, and the amount of rotational play in the cylinder when it was "locked up" was absolutely terrifying!
    I've got a old H&R 38 S&W. I had my gunsmith check it to see if it was in shooting condition. It was loose as a goose.
    He said it was made between 1903 and 1909.
    He said they were made like that and enjoy shooting it. I shot it a few times it's alright.
    It sits in the safe coated with lubricant.
    I'll see if I have any pictures of it.

Edit: picture

20200703_221929.jpg

Last edited:

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Well, no word from CA CS, yet. I didn't really expect anything this fast, anyway. My guess is that their customer service is usually rather busy. Still waiting patiently for a good resolution. Well, I did buy a S&W 442, which by the way, fires all the ammo that had misfires in the Off Duty.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I just got a text from Charter Arms. My Off Duty was repaired by their service technician, and is being shipped back to me. Well, that was fast. Can't wait to see the results.
    Sounds great. So far I'm impressed with their service. Looking forward to the range report.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Ok, it seems I've told an inadvertent fib. The text message sent by Customer Service only said that the repairs were completed, and here is your tracking number. When I got home last night, I also had an email from CS. The comments section stated:

"Found the action gummed up with congealed lubricant. Revolver was disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. Hammer was polished. Revolver was inspected with gauges, function checked and test fired. No malfunctions occurred."

The e-mail also included a list of what was checked with gauges, and what the measurements were. I'll be happy if the gun now works properly. Is should be here today. Alas, my wife has a drywall project for me today, so no range trip... today.

My experience with Charter Arms Customer Service, so far:
    I did register the gun with CA when I got it.
    I got a response to my first e-mail the next day.
    A week or so later, I sent another e-mail, requesting warranty repairs.
    I got a UPS call tag the next day.
    I got a text message on 3/19 stating they had received the gun, and a repair ticket number.
    I got a text message (and e-mail) on 3/26 stating the gun was repaired. It was shipped the same day.
    Transportation both ways was UPS Overnight Air.

I was without my gun (assuming delivery today) for less than 2 weeks. It was in, repaired, and out of Customer Service hands in 7 days. So far, I have no complaints about Charter Arms Customer Service. The only thing left is a range day.

Sidenote: While I was deciding whether to buy Charter Arms, or Taurus, I saw several comments like the above about Charter Arms. Most CS comments about Taurus were negative, from 'didn't fix it' to 'made it worse'. Keep in mind that I was Googling "Taurus Problems", so that will bias the results. But, I was doing the same for CA. I am sure both manufacturers have many happy customers. I wasn't looking for that. I was looking for how they treat customers with a problem.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I got my CA Off Duty back, today. I shipped it on 3/16, so 11 days for a turn-around is a huge point in CA's favor. I sent it to them dirty, after my last range trip. They fired 15 rounds. It came back clean. Another bonus point for CA's customer service. It seems obvious to me that someone has worked on this gun. The cylinder release and trigger are both smoother than I recall. The hammer-fall sounds more 'positive'. It seems almost like a higher quality firearm than the one I sent in. If this makes any sense, it doesn't feel 'cheap' anymore, just inexpensive. Perhaps all of that is wishful thinking, I don't know. I may have a chance to get to the range in the next few days. More to come, but so far, I feel good about my CA CS experience.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Here is a good experience with a CA 38. Have a friend that has one. She never goes to the range, but she can shoot it if needed. I verified that years ago. Every year I take it from her to clean and test. Over the last 6-7 years I've shot over 500 rounds of various 38 ammo without a single hiccup. This is an older CA and I assume its a 1990's build. All I've changed were grips to make it fit her hand. Once I'm done it's loaded with low recoil Hornaday 38 and delivered back to her. I'm sure it sits in her nightstand until I get my hands on it in another year to make sure it's ready for its task if ever required.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Well, today's range trip was a revelation of sorts. At 7 yards, I could keep slow fire to about 3" diameter, dead at the point of aim. Aimed rapid fire expanded to about 6". The Holy Spit cylinder dump had about 20% fliers out 5"+ from point of aim. The rest were spread out vertically from point of aim downward but still on the 8" targets. Ok, it is a very short sight-radius and a crappy trigger. Accuracy and trigger control was acceptable for my first (100 rounds) outing. I was pretty tired of that little gun after 60-70 rounds. The bad parts were ejector is very short; I had to pull 2-3 casings out of the cylinder every time. That will improve with practice and technique. The even 'badder' part was the cylinder release seemed to require some finessing. It felt like the spent rounds were binding the cylinder sometimes, other times it felt like the cylinder release was almost not doing its job. Oh, and I one (out of 100 rounds) light primer strike. It went off the second time, so I possibly limp-wristed that one.

Conclusions? Unless I get appreciably better at clearing spent brass and reloading the cylinder, this will always and forever be a BUG. I trust my Kahr CM9, after 1200+ flawless rounds, to do its part if I ever need it to. I carry it 6+1 (don't trust the 7-round mag) and 1 or 2 spare 6-round mags. Right now it seems like the Off Duty is only good for a 5-round fight, then I'm on my own. Not sure I'm happy with that.

For giggles, I went out to the store after my range time and handled a S&W 442. The difference was quite noticeable. Trigger, cylinder release, and ejector were all way smoother on the brand new 442 than on my 500 dry-fires and hundreds of cylinder open/close cycles. The crane and ejector mechanisms are also made of way thicker metal. One thing I thought odd was that the S&W boot grip is cut the same way as the CA; with a lot of grip keeping my middle finger almost 1/2" lower on the gun than seems possible. Perhaps I am missing something.
    I had one of their .357's once, and I traded it off. My Taurus revolvers were better all the way around, and my S&W? That Charter wasn't even in the same league as that gun.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I had one of their .357's once, and I traded it off. My Taurus revolvers were better all the way around, and my S&W? That Charter wasn't even in the same league as that gun.
    About 30 years ago, I had both Taurus and Rossi .44SPL wheelies, and a Taurus 85CH. All were well-made, reliable revolvers. Over the years, both (now one) manufacturers have had their share of quality assurance/control and customer service issues. After a good bit of research, I could not get myself to spend money on a Taurus revolver in 2024. I decided to go with Charter Arms. This thread describes my experience with a new Charter Arms Off Duty, purchased in 2024. So far, my overall impression is 'worth the cost'. That may change after my next range outing. I remain hopeful.

BTW, I've also purchased two S&W revolvers this year, a 686+ and a 442. Both are working just fine.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Here is a good experience with a CA 38. Have a friend that has one. She never goes to the range, but she can shoot it if needed. I verified that years ago. Every year I take it from her to clean and test. Over the last 6-7 years I've shot over 500 rounds of various 38 ammo without a single hiccup. This is an older CA and I assume its a 1990's build. All I've changed were grips to make it fit her hand. Once I'm done it's loaded with low recoil Hornaday 38 and delivered back to her. I'm sure it sits in her nightstand until I get my hands on it in another year to make sure it's ready for its task if ever required.
    I understand that is how a lot of revolvers live. They are perfect for such a role.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I got my Off Duty back Wednesday this week. Just got home from Range USA. TLDR version: it works. For anyone who is interested in specifics, I put 150 rounds of various .38 Special (what else) ammo through it, today. 20 rounds each of: DoubleTap, UMC, Winchester, PPU, Blazer, and Fiocchi, all with no misfires. I did have one misfire with Magtech, which happens to be the cheapest ammo I bought. It went off on the second hit. I shot five rounds of each, then switched to the next brand, so as to expose all ammo to a relatively clean, then a relatively dirty gun. The misfire happened on the first cylinder of Magtech, which was the 4th ammo I shot. So the gun was relatively clean at that time. The misfire was round 20 of the day. I put 130 more rounds through the gun today, so it was kinda dirty by the end. No more misfires.

I had no problems keeping 2-3" groups at 7 yards, when I could avoid trying to stage the damn trigger. I know better. Proper DAO trigger control is one smooth, complete pull, all the way to discharge. I know it, I see the evidence of poor trigger control every time it try to stage. WHY DO I KEEP DOING THAT? My groups opened up significantly (+/- 6") in rapid fire, with a fair number of flyers. I don't have that problem with a G21. Perhaps my hands a little large for J-Frame. Sure is fun to shoot, though!

Just a note to Kahr haters. I put 19 rounds of 147gr HST through my CM9 today, also. I am sure that is over 1200 rounds, without an error of any kind. It rides in pocket in a Desantis Nemesis, and it hasn't been lubed in about 4 months. I trust that gun.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Proper DAO trigger control is one smooth, complete pull, all the way to discharge. I know it, I see the evidence of poor trigger control every time it try to stage. WHY DO I KEEP DOING THAT?
    It's not just you. I know better as well, but still fight to avoid doing the same, and often loose the battle, especially when I'm trying for precise groups. I think it's just human nature, lol.

I'm glad to hear they fixed your gun for you. Sounds like it'll make a decent carry piece if it stays reliable!

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Yeah, so far I am ecstatic about Charter Arms' Customer Service. It is worth re-iterating that the one misfire I had today, went off on the second hit. Before I sent it in, I had many rounds that never went off, I think I hit some of them 4 or 5 times.

So far, I am 2 out of 3 with inexpensive guns. CA (seemingly) repaired my gun on the first request, and turned it around in 11 days. A+, especially if it stays fixed. Kahr responded to my initial complaint with a call tag, and to 1 day (after they got it) to contact me saying they would replace. Both companies paid the freight, both ways. I did have to pay FFL transfer fees because Kahr shipped me a new gun, not a repaired gun. The owner at Belcher's (Jeremy?), waived the transfer fee after I told him it was a warranty replacement. Throw that guy some business, if you can. He has always treated me well. The one gun I could not get the manufacturer to stand behind was SCCY. None of these 3 guns worked properly when I got them (new). CA and Kahr made it right, quickly. SCCY, not so much. I think I'm done buying for a while. I do want to retire, someday.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    The owner at Belcher's (Jeremy?), waived the transfer fee after I told him it was a warranty replacement.
    That's good customer service by your local shop, too! Michiana Firearms in Plymouth did the same for me a couple of weeks ago, and it was much appreciated. Albertson's in Warsaw and Tomlinson's in Churrubusco have taken care of me in the past as well when things haven't gone perfectly.

I had a situation similar to yours a while back where I had to send a gun in for warranty replacement. The shop hit me for a transfer fee on the replacement gun, even though I bought the original gun there and they knew it was a warranty replacement for a gun that they had sold me (I politely pointed it out and was told that was their policy). Their shop and their business...they can conduct it the way that they want, but they got my $25 and I haven't been back since. I have other options and prefer to give my business to owers who I'm confident will support me as a customer and stand behind what goes out their door.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Another (last?) range update for my CA Off Duty. I put 115 rounds of various ammo (see previous) downrange without a single misfire. I also launched 25 rounds of MagTech... with 3 misfires, all in different locations in the cylinder. I am ready to call the problem an ammo issue. Of those three misfires, two of them also failed to fire in my S&W 442.

I had also saved 5 rounds of Magtech misfires from BEFORE I sent the CA in for repairs. Of those 5, 4 of them also failed to fire in the 442.

All of this means that I've put 235 rounds of various ammo through my CA w/o an issue. The only issues I'm having now are with Magtech ammo. I feel that Charter Arms customer service, treated me well, and adequately repair my gun. That said, I've spent about about $350-$400 in ammo testing this gun, after it was repaired. Not counting the ammo I used up before sending it in for repairs. I don't regret buying the CA; the little journey has been interesting, and informative, and I like the gun. But, I'd have gotten off cheaper to buy a S&W to start with.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Another (last?) range update for my CA Off Duty. I put 115 rounds of various ammo (see previous) downrange without a single misfire. I also launched 25 rounds of MagTech... with 3 misfires, all in different locations in the cylinder. I am ready to call the problem an ammo issue. Of those three misfires, two of them also failed to fire in my S&W 442.

I had also saved 5 rounds of Magtech misfires from BEFORE I sent the CA in for repairs. Of those 5, 4 of them also failed to fire in the 442.

All of this means that I've put 235 rounds of various ammo through my CA w/o an issue. The only issues I'm having now are with Magtech ammo. I feel that Charter Arms customer service, treated me well, and adequately repair my gun. That said, I've spent about about $350-$400 in ammo testing this gun, after it was repaired. Not counting the ammo I used up before sending it in for repairs. I don't regret buying the CA; the little journey has been interesting, and informative, and I like the gun. But, I'd have gotten off cheaper to buy a S&W to start with.
    Now get ahold of magtech give them the information about their ammunition. Save the box for upc and lot information.
    They should ask for it and the failed to fire ammunition back to check it out. Then send you some fresh ammunition in exchange to make it right.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I also launched 25 rounds of MagTech... with 3 misfires, all in different locations in the cylinder. I am ready to call the problem an ammo issue. Of those three misfires, two of them also failed to fire in my S&W 442.

I'd agree. Not working in both guns is very indicative of an ammo issue. I've shot a lot of Magtech and never had a problem, but with the way the ammo market has been in recent years, who knows.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'd agree. Not working in both guns is very indicative of an ammo issue. I've shot a lot of Magtech and never had a problem, but with the way the ammo market has been in recent years, who knows.
    I've actually had more problems with factory ammunition than my handloads.
    It doesn't happen often. Very few rounds failed to go off and even a squib in 40+ years of shooting. I'm not counting rimfire just center fire cartridges.
    Rimfire is a whole different subject. Usually the cheaper you go the worse problems you have. Specifically the Green bucket of fail.

Top Bottom