• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    what ever happened to the freedom of speech?

***EDIT***
    SORRY THE BELOW IS INCORRECT. AS CARMEL POINTED OUT THE SCHOOL IS A PUBLIC ONE SO THE STUFF BELOW DOES NOT APPLY. I MIXED UP THE ARTICLES AND WAS THINKING THE SCHOOL WAS PRIVATE IN WHICH CASE THE BELOW WOULD APPLY

[STRIKE] He still has his freedom of speech. He was NOT prevented from writing the song was he? Had he done this in North Korea he would have been taken away and shot by the .gov.

Your freedom of speech in the constitution is a guarantee that the government will not do something to stop you from having your freedom of speech. That is to say Congress can NOT pass a law that says you can not talk bad about Congress, the president, etc. This has NOTHING to do with a business from firing it's employee for doing something the business did not like which is the case here.

If you run a biz you can hire and fire anyone on your staff for ANY reason expect the following race, sex, age, national origin, religion, disability.

So you can't fire someone just because they are female or white or of Brazilian origin or because they are jewish.

However you can go to work tomorrow and say to your employee Your fired because you wore a blue sweater and our rule book says no blue sweaters or your fired for not doing your job, or you are fired because we are downsizing, etc.

In this case the coach was fired just cause and that just case does not happen to be race, sex, age, national origin, religion, disability so the employer can and did fire the coach.[/STRIKE]

Last edited:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    He still has his freedom of speech. He was NOT prevented from writing the song was he? Had he done this in North Korea he would have been taken away and shot by the .gov.

Your freedom of speech in the constitution is a guarantee that the government will not do something to stop you from having your freedom of speech. That is to say Congress can NOT pass a law that says you can not talk bad about Congress, the president, etc. This has NOTHING to do with a business from firing it's employee for doing something the business did not like which is the case here.

It's a government agency, a public school, imposing a penalty for speech. How is it not 1st Amendment related? It's not a private business.

If you run a biz you can hire and fire anyone on your staff for ANY reason expect the following race, sex, age, national origin, religion, disability.

It's not a business, it's a government agency.
    In this case the coach was fired just cause and that just case does not happen to be race, sex, age, national origin, religion, disability so the employer can and did fire the coach.

Just cause has a specific meaning in employment law, this does not meet it. You mean "no cause." If this was a private business, I'd agree, however, it's a county school system and subject to the 1st Amendment through 14th Amendment due process.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Thanks Dogman

I was beginning to wonder if anybody would pay attention to the song. If I had considered the possibility the rights violation crowd would go off, I wouldn't have posted it! My bad!

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I was beginning to wonder if anybody would pay attention to the song. If I had considered the possibility the rights violation crowd would go off, I wouldn't have posted it! My bad!

He sounds a little like Aaron Tippin. Guess he'll be a little more careful who he emails his next song to.

Wreaver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Right over there!
    He still has his freedom of speech. He was NOT prevented from writing the song was he? Had he done this in North Korea he would have been taken away and shot by the .gov.

So you can't fire someone just because they are female or white or of Brazilian origin or because they are jewish.

However you can go to work tomorrow and say to your employee Your fired because you wore a blue sweater and our rule book says no blue sweaters or your fired for not doing your job, or you are fired because we are downsizing, etc.

In this case the coach was fired just cause and that just case does not happen to be race, sex, age, national origin, religion, disability so the employer can and did fire the coach.

uh oh, we've lost another to assimilation! :(

Top Bottom