• ...and so much more!
  • lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    I thought I would share something I learned this week.

For years I have been doing the '2x4 with clothes iron' trick to seal mylar bags in buckets. This year, while I was Christmas shopping, I added a little something for me.

I bought one of these:

51pyyxW%2BTpL._SY355_.jpg

Link: Bag Sealer for Mylar Bags

This thing is not the luxury that I'd been telling myself for years. It is necessary! All this time, I have been doing without. Not only is it much simpler (and quicker) to seal the bags, but I also seal them much tighter with less residual air in the bag. Since I didn't have to make enough room to get the 2x4 back under the mylar opening for the final seal, less air re-enters the bag. This makes the lids easier to pound and the product will be better preserved with less oxygen for the O2 absorbers to deal with.

This is my new favorite thing!

And anyone near Greencastle, if you want to borrow it, just let me know.

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    I, too, use a hair straightener (wifes of course) with good luck. That does look awesome though.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I found an industrial hand operated sealer surplus a while back. Adjust the heat and just clamp it down. I vacuum seal stuff in aluminized mylar ziploc bags, so the vacuum is already there for me, I seal it so I don't have to trust the zipper.

Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county
    I considered one of these for awhile but decided to stick with the straightener for now. If I ever get my self situated I may get one of those but for now I am staying cheap and blowing my money on less useful things.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    I considered one of these for awhile but decided to stick with the straightener for now. If I ever get my self situated I may get one of those but for now I am staying cheap and blowing my money on less useful things.

You are welcome to borrow mine. If you are going to do buckets one day, let me know where to send it. Just send it back when done.

Top Bottom