• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dudelittle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Attica
    I'm probably going to catch a lot of flack for this but....its mine and I like it!!
    IMG_20150606_172807685.jpg

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Nice rig. If it is comfortable and keeps the gun where it belongs, that's all that matters.

Is there a design on the kydex?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Nice. I have found this style IWB very comfortable.

With the speed loader on the same side as your gun, how quick can you get to it? That's the only draw back I see. You will need to practice often to make the reloads positive.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.

With the speed loader on the same side as your gun, how quick can you get to it? That's the only draw back I see. You will need to practice often to make the reloads positive.

I wondered about that, too... Maybe having the speed loader in the front position with the firearm behind? Less likely to see the reload with the rig moved slightly forward and keep the firearm in the same spot?

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am impressed how he addressed the "no extra magazine" issue that I can't seem to get around when I consider carrying a revolver.

Nice rig!

Dudelittle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Attica
    I am impressed how he addressed the "no extra magazine" issue that I can't seem to get around when I consider carrying a revolver.

Nice rig!

Thanks. I haven't been to confident carrying a five shot but now I have a little more piece of mind.or you know what I mean.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Cool looking holster. :yesway:

However, JMO but a couple problems exist with that specific layout.

First, the holster is an IWB. IWB holsters are fine, but setting inside the waistband, it appears that the speedloader would be at or below the waistband / belt line, or just barely above that area. Since the wearer typically wears the belt slightly tightened to prevent the gun / holster from sagging, it would appear the top edge of the pants waistband, or belt itself, would curve somewhat inward, and covering the speedloader.

Second, the speedloader sits well down into the 'well'. Too far. Way too far. This prohibits proper gripping / grabbing of the speedloader, and forces the user / operator to grab the speedloader by the knob.

In the picture shown, that's an HKS speedloader (though the OP may have others, like Safariland, that are longer). The user / operater can NOT (well, should not) grab that type of speedloader by the knob to initiate a reload. IF they do, there's a quite realistic chance they'll grab that speedloader, pluck it out of that (now, also too low-sitting) holder and come up with... an empty speedloader.

The knobs on the HKS speedloaders, while having a definite, clicking 'lock' (IIRC, it's a ball bearing) to lock in and secure the rounds in the speedloader (by the rims) nevertheless turn quite easily. Almost too easily, IMO.

HKS speedloaders should be grabbed by (at least) the top of the 'barrel' (the black part) of the speedloader when extracting it from the holder, NOT by the knob. Speedloader holders that don't allow the user / operator to grab the speedloader by the 'barrel' (or part of it) inhibit proper grabbing / removal technique and present a quite real, potentially lethal hazard (in an actual gunfight) to the user / operator.

With that set up on that rig, the user / operator has no option but to grab the speedloader by the knob. If the user / operator doesn't carefully ('daintily'?) extract the HKS speedloader from that holder, the knob could (most likely, would) be easily and errantly turned during the removal process, which releases the rounds. Particularly under the stress, adrenaline drive, and pressures present during an actual combat / gunfight scenario.

What that means is the user / operator is forced to improperly grip / grab the speedloader, incidentally turning the knob, and extract an empty speedloader, with 6 (or 5, as the case may be) standing neatly vertical, still in the holder, and slightly below the edge of the holder.

Imagine the stresses at work in an actual self-defense scenario. NOW, imagine the added stress / pressure of grabbing for the speedloader (already in a somewhat 'awkward' place, and below the waistband / belt line) and extracting an empty speedloader to reload. The problem (most likely) won't be 'immediately' realized (that processing takes a few moments, even IF it's 'a split second'), then it will 'suddenly' come into consciousness that the speedloader, which was carefully loaded and thoughtfully placed into the holder prior to leaving home (or wherever) is, for some (as yet) 'unfathomable' reason, empty.

What's the natural reaction to that problem? What would YOUR reaction (likely) be? Yep, look down at the ground (perhaps first), then at the speedloader holder, now with the bottom of 6 (or 5) rounds of ammunition 'staring' back at you.

In addition to all that processing (time!) going on in the mind, the user / operator is now forced to fumble around, frantically attempting to extract those rounds one at a time, probably with one, maybe two (if 'lucky'!) fingers. All this, while a gunfight is in progress.

Again, cool looking holster. But, I personally wouldn't want to bet my life (which may very well be the case, god forbid) on needing to put that speedloader into play during a real-life combat scenario.

FWIW (which may be less than nothing to anyone on INGO), since my revolvers have less capacity (6 rounds for all my EDC revolvers) than any of my semi-autos, I typically carry 4 speedloaders (30 rounds, total). Never less than two (which is 18 rounds, which is 'only' the same as a fully loaded - 17+1 - Glock 17).

Just my :twocents:

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Cool rig for a skinny guy with room in his pants. :):

I like the hook on the speedloader pouch to keep the belt/pants from riding up. If it were me I'd save that HKS loader for the glove box and get a handful of Safariland Comp II's to sprinkle around along with the one in the pouch. Wouldn't hurt to be familiar with speed strips either, in case you'd choose to keep a couple of 8 rounders in your pocket.

416rXRX4z8L._SX450_.jpg

Dudelittle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Attica
    Nice! As long as it is comfortable and works for you that's great! I usually get my holsters from http://www.daltechforce.com so I've never tried harvey's holsters. Is it comfortable?

Yes it is very comfortable, the weight is spread out pretty good. I went with Harvey's (1) they are local, (2) it is a pita to find a holster that fit my model, so they made it for mine,(3) they didn't shoot down my idea.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

It is both faster and more consistent reloading a revolver with your strong hand holding the speed loader and your support hand holding the revolver. Reloads should be on the gun side if you are going to do this. I know some folks say to not shift your grip and to reload with the off hand. That has the issue of not securing the cylinder. If you are moving its going to bounce. Even if you are stationary it can spin slightly as you try to line up the bullets with the holes.

Second, the speedloader sits well down into the 'well'. Too far. Way too far. This prohibits proper gripping / grabbing of the speedloader, and forces the user / operator to grab the speedloader by the knob.

I'd concur. Otherwise, a very interesting setup.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The location and depth of the speed loader were the only flak I was gonna give, but I can't add to the articulation put forth by our esteemed colleague ModernGunner.

As for the location on strong side, every training manual I've seen says to hold the cylinder open through the frame in the off hand and add rounds with the strong hand. Every trick shooter I"ve seen does it his own way.

Top Bottom