• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    My new kimber Classic Custom Royal. I traded my dad a Remington 700 for it. He bought it new in 1998 and probably hasn't put more than 300 rounds through it. It also came with a triple k shoulder holster and Kimber night sights. I think I did okay, it will make a nice companion to my pro carry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      62.6 KB · Views: 94

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    At that time Kimber was contracting someone else to make 1911s. I can't remember who actually built them - but it wasn't Kimber. They were testing the market to see if they could sell high quality 1911s. They were equal to what Bill Wilson was building at that time. Once they figured out the market was substantial they switched from "quality" to "quantity".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    At that time Kimber was contracting someone else to make 1911s. I can't remember who actually built them - but it wasn't Kimber. They were testing the market to see if they could sell high quality 1911s. They were equal to what Bill Wilson was building at that time. Once they figured out the market was substantial they switched from "quality" to "quantity".

Well......the newer ones are "Pretty"

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Yeah, the trigger is super nice on this gun, it shoots way better than I can. When I brought it home, I thought that the night sights might be burnt out, but they still show up pretty bright in the dark.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, the trigger is super nice on this gun, it shoots way better than I can. When I brought it home, I thought that the night sights might be burnt out, but they still show up pretty bright in the dark.

My night stand gun has very bright sights. They are a beacon in the night.
    SA TRP stainless.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have an Ed Brown with night sights dated 2006 and they are still quite bright. You can see a bit of a difference between them and a fresh set, but not a huge difference. Night sights are a requirement for me on any night stand gun. I like to see exactly where a gun is in the dark before reaching for it and the night sights act as the perfect locator beacon for me.

18 years is on the old side for night sights, but if they are still bright, there's no reason to swap them out. With a 12 year half life, they should still be reasonably bright at 1/4 the original brightness when they hit the 24 year mark.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Nightstand duty now rotates between this Kimber, my pro carry, and my G19, all of which have night sights. I remember going years and years with no night sights, but once I got my first set, now I consider them almost essential to the proper function of the gun.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I like my pro carry a lot. I bought it in 2002, after I came home from Saudi Arabia. I haven't kept track of how many rounds I have shot through it, but a bunch, and I have never had any failures at all that weren't because of a bad magazine. I hear the newer Kimbers may not be as good, but I have no experience at all with them. The only issue I have had was I once stripped out the grip studs on the aluminum frame, from tightening the grip screws too tight. I had to tap out the holes and install oversize bushings in it, lock tighted in, and have had no more problems with them. That really wasn't an issue with the pistol, more like me being stupid while tightening screws on an aluminum framed gun. The trigger pull on mine is very, very good and it is an accurate pistol.

Top Bottom