• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Has anyone else noticed with tomahawks there isnt alot of gret area. Its either low end like my Sog tactical or Cold Steel trail hawks and countless cheap chinese flea market type hawks. You go straight from a $50 ceiling in the mass produced hawks to the considerably more expensive hand forged models by different blade makers. I looked at the new Tops Hacket and some other Tops hawks/axes and the Benchmade which to me looked alot like the Sog I have but this Omnivore bladeworks seemed hands down the best for the money.

This is Omnivores model ETA tomahawk and it was less than $400 shipped with his custom kydex sheath. The sheath alone is incredible with an awesome locking system and molle compatible. The creators name is Jared Corry and he forges all his hawks and knives himself. He even does his own Kydex work which is impressive. The hawk head is razor sharp from the top of the handle behind the beard, all the way around the cutting edge accross the top and stops at the back end above pic. He makes his own micarta handles and does his own Cerakote work. This is a tan Cerakote and natural micarta. The end of the handle has a pry bar feature and the handle features nice jibbing at the top near the head for a better grip when choking up on the handle. This is an all around impressive tool/weapon and I am very pleased to have it.

The overall length is 19.25 inches. 14 inches of micarta scale on each side, 4.25 inch front cutting edge and an overall head length of 9 inches accross. I included a picture with this next to a Sog tactical hawk which is their big hawk, a Fiskars hatchet and a Becker BK4 machaxe for size comparison.

Thanks for looking

2012-08-11191706.jpg

2012-08-11191736.jpg

2012-08-11191916.jpg

2012-08-11192019.jpg

2012-08-11192106.jpg

2012-08-11191814.jpg

2012-08-11192523.jpg

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    He makes some very cool stuff. I spoke with him a good bit at blade show. very nice thick beastly hawks to say the least and his kydex work is very solid too. congrats on a amazing hawk. now get out there and beat the **** out of it

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I've seen those hawks before and always forget the name, thanks for making the thread :yesway:

Those are awesome, I love the design.

For $400, I think I dare to say that is sexier than a RMJ Shrike, but that's a big dare, but that is very cool :rockwoot:

He makes some very cool stuff. I spoke with him a good bit at blade show.

He was at Blade?

I miss all the good stuff when I'm down there :(

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    The RMJ hawks are real nice. They dont seem to want to sell to civilians. Their focus is on troops currently deployed with civilian market secondary. Thats fine, but Im in IN not Afghanistan and I wanted a nice hawk.

He uses 1095 and aus heat treats to a rockwell hardness of 53 at the edge. I dont really understand much about heat treatments or the rockwell guidelines but I know that Jared takes the quality of his steel very seriously and I read that those numbers are very good. He is the real deal in terms of making a functional hard use hawk.

Last edited:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Pardon the n00b question, but are full tang (is that even what it's called with hawks?) very common? I don't think I've seen one.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Pardon the n00b question, but are full tang (is that even what it's called with hawks?) very common? I don't think I've seen one.

Full tang hawks (or no handle/head separation) aren't that common but they are awesome. RMJ makes one, Omnivore blade works, Deverish knives has some, Jk knives has made a few. they are freaking tough, tough tools.

RMJ doesn't not want to make tools for the civilian side of things it's just that they put military orders ahead of others because their life could actually depend on the hawk. Ryan is a awesome guy. very laid back and knows his stuff. On the USN him and Jared speak quite often in the hawk threads over there. both have a pretty serious wait time of around 3 months right now I believe (which in the knife world is nothing lol)

Either way no question about it. the OP has one of the best hawks out there right now.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    You can throw them. What's wrong with that? I have a couple vids I posted up of me throwing my full tang hawks. The only thing that could happen is the scales could move or be knocked off. Me and Dave (Dakruiser) throw ours all the time and haven't had any troubles.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    You can throw them. What's wrong with that? I have a couple vids I posted up of me throwing my full tang hawks. The only thing that could happen is the scales could move or be knocked off. Me and Dave (Dakruiser) throw ours all the time and haven't had any troubles.

When I throw my RMJ I usually take the scales off, I can see me breaking the damn things. Doesn't throw to well though.

Swamp Rat has done videos of their Sniper Hawks and the War Hawks being thrown, they're full tang and do great.

I'd love to throw that Omnivore :D

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Its pretty big to throw. I have no doubt that it would hold up to more throws than I am going to be able to make. I throw that SOG and have gotten decent. Thats what all the marks are from on my tree in pics.

With RMJ who is actually the company that got me interested in the high end full tang hawks. I really love their stuff also. It wasnt the wait so much as the fact that the wait was subject to change without notice depending on if orders from troops came in. With my luck a three month wait would become nine months. I understand their reasoning but it led me to search for other hawks. Then I found Omnivore and really liked his hawks. I found his hawks to be more functional in terms of bushcraft type use versus the RMJ more combat/demolition style. Im sure Id have been happy either way, but Im happy I went with Omnivore.

Top Bottom