My new Ruger Super Redhawk 44Mag w/9.5" barrel has a crack in the body!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    After less than 50 rounds through this beast there is a crack along the body between the trigger area and the serial number that goes from the front of the trigger guard all the way back to the handle grips along both sides! I've contacted Ruger regarding their 'making it right' tonight, hope to hear from them REALLY soon as it took me forever to get this thing, now I can't shoot it!

These are the war wound photos: (Couldn't figure out how to get them to show up in the post).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hb8bh9vfzokohsr/IMG_3447.JPG
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pik7onqsl69q1h9/IMG_3449.JPG
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/iq15ww6yh2b8qdc/IMG_3451.JPG
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ox8by53g5a60ibu/IMG_3452.JPG

IMG_3451.JPG
    IMG_3452.JPG

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    He-he-he...

I noticed this "Crack" on all of my SuperRedHawk, GP-100's, and SP-101, during take down to install Wolff springs...NORMAL...Bill.

FWIW: I bet the OP WILL remember this thread?? HA HA..

xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    Egg on face!

Wholly crap! That REALLY looked like a hairline fracture along the trigger guard! I'm glad you guys pointed out those images to me... Odd I never noticed it before firing. I wonder if the plinking I did caused it to open up a tiny bit more and make it more noticeable. That's why I rely on these forums, always seem to get good info!

Thanks again!
    Xanderphillips

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Thanks for posting but as has been said this is normal. Now once you get over your embarrassment, please let us know what the folks at Ruger have to say. BTW, everyone makes mistakes, don't sweat it.

xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    I guess I would have known that if I'd had it long enough to break it down for cleaning! <grin> Ok, I promise to research more next time before crying wolf! :)

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Wholly crap! That REALLY looked like a hairline fracture along the trigger guard! I'm glad you guys pointed out those images to me... Odd I never noticed it before firing. I wonder if the plinking I did caused it to open up a tiny bit more and make it more noticeable. That's why I rely on these forums, always seem to get good info!

Thanks again!
    Xanderphillips

And don't forget to tell us what Ruger's response is!

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I read that with disbelief as I tell everyone that it is nearly impossible to tear one up as they are built like a tank. I was going through a quick list in my mind of the people that I have told this to.

...then I saw the first pic. Whew, trigger assembly. Now, the true test of your despair will be directly proportional to the size of the fit you threw (when you called Ruger). I think God gave us the ability to smile to get us through little situations like this. And I give myself plenty of reasons to smile...

I wonder if you noticed it after you shot due to the burnt powder highlighting the joint?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Thanks again!
    Xanderphillips

More likely your shooting it introduced some dirt/dust/powder residue into the seam (crack). Enough to highlight it that you noticed it.

Wait until you have a couple thousand rounds through it.
    Rest assured, the Ruger Super Redhawk is one of the strongest built firearms on the market today. It's built like a tank. Unless you run extremely hot handloads you won't have a problem with it.

On the other hand, it never hurt to err on the side of caution.

Have fun with your Redhawk.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    The seam in my GP100 has opened up slightly towards the grip. Not a lot, just a couple hundred thou, but it's noticeable to me anyway. I haven't tried taking it apart and putting it back together to see if that helped yet. Has this occurred with anyone else's?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You just scared the crap out of me! lol. I have the same pistol & same seam. It is a good thing to look your gun over. Don't feel bad you missed it before. We'll just have some fun at your expence :D jk

It's a awesome gun! I love shooting it more then any of my other handguns!

Top Bottom