• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Last year was met with nothing but disappointment, so it's time to change tactics. The place I had been hunting for a couple years and got a pretty decent buck off of was crowded with new guys the farmer let on the property and even the trail cameras placed near the old "sweet spot" didn't pick up any deer.

So this year, instead of spending money on a bow season tag, then a firearms tag, then a muzzleloader tag I'm just going to take that money and go buy some steaks. If I could find a place to hunt where there was actually a reasonable chance of seeing deer then I'd reconsider, but this year I'm sleeping in.

Maybe, I'll go to the range on one of those days and shoot something there. I'm just getting tired of the year to year struggle to find a place to go hunting, only to get there and either not see deer, or see a trail camera full of pictures of a dozen rabbit hunters beating every bush in the woods almost certifying that I won't see deer.

Is there any hope for a guy who doesn't own land to find a place to hunt?

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Last year was met with nothing but disappointment, so it's time to change tactics. The place I had been hunting for a couple years and got a pretty decent buck off of was crowded with new guys the farmer let on the property and even the trail cameras placed near the old "sweet spot" didn't pick up any deer.

So this year, instead of spending money on a bow season tag, then a firearms tag, then a muzzleloader tag I'm just going to take that money and go buy some steaks. If I could find a place to hunt where there was actually a reasonable chance of seeing deer then I'd reconsider, but this year I'm sleeping in.

Maybe, I'll go to the range on one of those days and shoot something there. I'm just getting tired of the year to year struggle to find a place to go hunting, only to get there and either not see deer, or see a trail camera full of pictures of a dozen rabbit hunters beating every bush in the woods almost certifying that I won't see deer.

Is there any hope for a guy who doesn't own land to find a place to hunt?

Hunting isn't all about the animal. If you spend time outdoors enjoying nature and you don't get a deer you basically had a milkshake without the cherry on top. But, every once in a while a cherry does make everything better. :D

Don't put your focus on the animal. Enjoy the world around you that is what real hunting is.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    If you are willing to put the effort in finding a place that does not have a lot of hunting pressure, it can be done, but it takes effort and commitment in doing so. If you are looking for private ground, buy a plat book and topo map of the general area that you want to hunt. Drive around that area and look for areas that look good from the road and then start knocking on doors. Expect to get a lot of "no" permission granted responses. Be willing to trade work (farm work) to gain permission. Your appearance and presentation when you approach someone asking for permission is very important. You need to show up clean looking, be polite......and so forth. It's a lot like interviewing for a job. If you are lucky enough to gain permission on private land, be willing to stop by the owners place several times before season opens to touch base with the land owner and make sure nothing has changed with your agreement about hunting his/hers property. To maintain that permission for next season stop by several times during the summer months...be willing to offer your help/work around the farm to maintain that relationship and keep your hunting permission secure.

Also, there is plenty of public land especially down in the southern part of the state (Hoosier National forest) that doesn't even get hunted. I know this for a fact. Again get a plat book and topo map of the area and concentrate on the smaller tracts and tracts that are not easily accessible.

If your willing to put in the effort, you will find a place. I spend more time prepping for hunting season than I do actually hunting.

:twocents:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    should be greatful to live in a state that has TONS of public land to hunt.

I took my first and only deer so far off of a small 30 acre section of public land.

Use this interactive map and see what's near you:

DNR: Where to Hunt

I've been at it for four years now and have one doe to show for it.

doepd4.jpg

Still damn proud of that moment 2 years ago.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Hunting isn't all about the animal. If you spend time outdoors enjoying nature and you don't get a deer you basically had a milkshake without the cherry on top. But, every once in a while a cherry does make everything better. :D

Don't put your focus on the animal. Enjoy the world around you that is what real hunting is.

I agree with this completely, but at the same time I like to actually see a deer here and there also, or at least have the impression that I could see one.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you are willing to put the effort in finding a place that does not have a lot of hunting pressure, it can be done, but it takes effort and commitment in doing so. If you are looking for private ground, buy a plat book and topo map of the general area that you want to hunt. Drive around that area and look for areas that look good from the road and then start knocking on doors. Expect to get a lot of "no" permission granted responses. Be willing to trade work (farm work) to gain permission. Your appearance and presentation when you approach someone asking for permission is very important. You need to show up clean looking, be polite......and so forth. It's a lot like interviewing for a job. If you are lucky enough to gain permission on private land, be willing to stop by the owners place several times before season opens to touch base with the land owner and make sure nothing has changed with your agreement about hunting his/hers property. To maintain that permission for next season stop by several times during the summer months...be willing to offer your help/work around the farm to maintain that relationship and keep your hunting permission secure.

Also, there is plenty of public land especially down in the southern part of the state (Hoosier National forest) that doesn't even get hunted. I know this for a fact. Again get a plat book and topo map of the area and concentrate on the smaller tracts and tracts that are not easily accessible.

If your willing to put in the effort, you will find a place. I spend more time prepping for hunting season than I do actually hunting.

:twocents:

I usually spend the year hitting people up for a place to go hunting and I always seem to strike out. Generally where I live the answer is usually "I would, but my cousin, uncle, brother, nephew or buddy already hunts the land".

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

I hadn't seen that map before, thanks! I'm going to look up some of those places and call the phone numbers.

Part of my hesitation of hunting on public land is that I've always heard bad things about the sun coming up and seeing orange hats all around you, or other people being unsafe around you.

One thing that caught my eye from that map was the check-in part. I don't know what you have to do to check in but that could be a possibility. Does everyone check in at the same time then have a free for all to get to there spots? Does a check in scare hunters off or attract them, because I could see that being 50/50?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I know when I hunted on the public side of atterbury, check-in was just driving up and signing in on a clipboard and saying what section you are going to hunt in.

What area of the state do you live in?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I live north east in fort wayne. I used that map you posted and emailed some friends about going squirrel hunting this weekend to scout out a potential place to go deer hunting.

When you've gone deer hunting on public land, did you see a lot of other people? I just get nervous about it especially since the guys who I hunt with practically require a ground blind to hunt from and being on the ground isn't always the safest place.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    When you've gone deer hunting on public land, did you see a lot of other people?

It depends. If it's opening weekend of gun season then the woods will be swarming with people. But then again the FWA's limit the number of hunters that can sign in. Pigeon River FWA only allows 500 hunters (in 11,000 acres) so it's not TOO bad.

Both me & my son both got a deer on opening morning last year on PRFWA so it is doable. And we both hunted from the ground.

The only time that I didn't feel safe was when I got peppered by bird shot from pheasant hunters. I also ALWAYS wear a headlight into the woods. Deer don't wear lights so there is no excuse for some idiot shooting at sound.

The biggest problem I've had is people stealing your stuff (tree stands, hooks, etc). I've had one stand stolen (that was locked in with aircraft cable) & some accessories taken. I don't leave anything in the tree anymore. The stand I can't help. It's just the risk I have to take. But I did get a climber just in case.

My brother on the other hand has had several stands stolen. He has terrible luck.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    When you hunted from the ground did you bother with blinds? I'm thinking that if I hunted from the ground I'd just do it the old fashioned way and lean up against a tree.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I'm thinking that if I hunted from the ground I'd just do it the old fashioned way and lean up against a tree.

Yep, that's what I do.

I tried a blind for one season but it was too much of a pain (not to mention too noisy) to put up every morning & take down every night. I got busted by a couple of deer I never even knew were there in the dark before they blew at me & took off while I was messing around getting the thing set up.

Now, I just have a small swivel seat & lean up against a tree. It gets me off the ground a little & doesn't restrict my movement so I can look around more easily. And it's very quiet. I just walk in & sit down.

It's worked pretty well for me. I just can't seem to hit crap out of a tree stand.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    The Hoosier National Forest has 202,000 acres of which only a couple hundred acres or so are "no hunting" designated. I would highly recommend to avoid the Deam wilderness area during opening weekend. This is highly crowded with a lot of people from Indy and Bloomington who are not always used to guns/the woods. That leaves about 190,000 acres for you to hunt. No sign in needed. Topo maps can be purchased at the office in Bedford or Tell City that have all the property lines on them.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    When you hunted from the ground did you bother with blinds? I'm thinking that if I hunted from the ground I'd just do it the old fashioned way and lean up against a tree.

I do a LOT of ground hunting. I either pick a spot in some downed trees brush where I'm pretty covered, but I can see my surroundings or I stalk hunt. I'm not that great at stalk hunting YET so I dont advise it unless you know what you are doing. I just do it to try and work on improving my shooting angles and working the wind, tracking, etc. Moving quietly through the woods and whatnot. I find ground blinds to be too restrictive.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I got my first(and only) buck, a 10 point,140 class 163lbs. on public land outside of Bloomington. I put in effort and time looking, scouting, hunting, over the course of several years. I figured out why the area was attractive, and where the deer were goingto/ comming from. On public land there are some advantages and disadvantages. Public land means that deer are a little more used to people. Private land means that deer can be a little more skittish. More people walking around in the woods can make the deer move. On public land when you have gone deep into the woods, go a little farther. My buck was about a mile and a quarter from my truck. Good luck to you this season.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Could someone explain the check in process?

Do you get assigned an area to hunt?

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    after looking at that map... im gonna give public land a try this year... I hunt during the week due to my work schedule... and for archery id say its "less dangerous" than opening day. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

dcary7

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Could someone explain the check in process?

If you're talking about the check-in before you go hunting on public land then all you do is stop by the check-in station & put your name/adress & area you are going to be hunting in on a list, usually a clipboard. For PRFWA the check-in station is the main office. At other areas they have other kiosk type stations throughout the property. On that list you will get a hunter number. You need to take a card (they call it a "one day hunting permit") with you that has your number on it. You have to keep that card with you at all times that you are hunting. I've only ever been asked for my card once. Then you go hunt. When you're done that day you just drop off the card at a drop box.

Most days it's a couple of minute process. On opening day of gun season or on some weekends there are usually pretty long lines so it may take you 15 minutes or more. It's still not too bad but you need to allow for the extra time.

Do you get assigned an area to hunt?

Not in the places I've hunted but each area may be different. I don't know how they could, though, since they allow tree stands to be put up starting Sept 1st & they allow you to keep them up continously until the first week in January.

I heard that PRFWA USED to assign areas but I don't know how that worked.

Top Bottom